X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Cycling thread.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    We'll see who wins...
    Philippe Gilbert! If the rest of the year is any indication. Evans for yellow.

Comment

So, minor surprise atop the Mur (well not THE Muur)! Evans wins in front of Conti, Vino, Uran, Gilbert, and Hushovd...Some gap to most of the GC names, 8 sec I think.

Comment

Help me out here - why did Conti go for the stage win? Seems like a fair amount of effort that was never destined to help him in the overall. Ego?
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Help me out here - why did Conti go for the stage win? Seems like a fair amount of effort that was never destined to help him in the overall. Ego?
          Why does Cavendish go for stage wins?

Comment

Think it was more than ego. Conti races to win, all the time (except when he is gifting stages). But I think a bigger reason is that he wanted to send a psychological message to the field, that rumors of his demise were exaggerated. Plus he had to think he could take time from A. Schleck on that finish and he did.

Plus there is the stage win to be had. Its not like Conti is a wheelsucker, remember his attack at the Giro in Tropea! It was only a 2K effort he didn't waste that much energy.

Tomorrow could be interesting, the run to Cap Frehel is supposed to have a 14-20 knot cross wind that eventually becomes a tail wind. Perfect for echelons!

Comment

Yeoman effort from Thor to keep the jersey while BMC probably wants to get the jersey not sure Cadel would be overjoyed to be in yellow this early in the race. Andy didn't look very good today losing a couple of seconds on a short climb while Frank kept pace with AC.
              Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Brajkovic had a nasty crash and is out of the tour as he is taken off in the ambulance. Seconds later Contador crashed also, he and his team are chasing back to the field.

Comment

Originally posted by pardonme View Post
                  Brajkovic had a nasty crash and is out of the tour as he is taken off in the ambulance. Seconds later Contador crashed also, he and his team are chasing back to the field.
                  Hope Brajkovic is okay.

This keeps getting worse and worse for my velogames team...
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Why does Cavendish go for stage wins?
                    You were saying???
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

You were saying???
                      While we're on the topic, I didn't get a chance to watch the finish. What stupid pose did he do this time when he crossed the line first? Did he recycle the phone call? The gunshot, perhaps? Him winning stages is starting to remind me of when Terrell Owens scores touchdowns. Although it's his first stage win of the year, so he was probably classy about it, maybe a tear or two on the podium, that's all good.

I realize winning a stage is a very special thing, especially in a race like this one, and I hate to discredit any cyclist that is able to achieve such a feat, but he's won how many stages? 16?

Comment

While we're on the topic, I didn't get a chance to watch the finish. What stupid pose did he do this time when he crossed the line first? Did he recycle the phone call? The gunshot, perhaps? Him winning stages is starting to remind me of when Terrell Owens scores touchdowns. Although it's his first stage win of the year, so he was probably classy about it, maybe a tear or two on the podium, that's all good.

I realize winning a stage is a very special thing, especially in a race like this one, and I hate to discredit any cyclist that is able to achieve such a feat, but he's won how many stages? 16?
                        16 in 3 1/4th tours.

He still needs to win a green jersey IMHO before he gains more credibility. There is no doubt the man can sprint like he is shot out of a cannon. However, he's also had some tremendous leadout trains and at times I question his drive when it seems like he sits back and stops sprinting when he thinks or knows he can't win.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                          He still needs to win a green jersey IMHO before he gains more credibility.
                          More credibility than what? He is pretty much universally regarded as the best sprinter currently in the peloton. The last "great sprinter," The Lion King Himself, Mario Cipollini never won the green either. Heck, there is some wide spread speculation that the reason we are seeing such tough, Giro-style, finishes in the first week is in direct response to Cav's dominance in the sprints the last few years. Cav, has won the points jersey at Vuelta, just as Cipo won at the Giro. He, Cav, has an excellent chance to win the world championship this year and he might do without a full team since the rest of GB cycling isn't very strong.

P.S. Rough day indeed for you velogames team, lost Braj and Garate has a broken arm but he will take the start tomorrow.

P.P.S. As far as Cav's celebration, nothing out of the ordinary:
                          *****http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-france/stage-5/photos/180959******
                          Last edited by Titleist; 07-06-2011, 04:14 PM. Reason: Pic

Comment

I think he just figured that he could claw a handful of seconds back, maybe more. His entire strategy now is to attack when he can, and see what comes of it. Unfortunately, that climb wasn't long or hard enough for him to make it stick(if Thor can hang with the front group on it, it's not that bad), wasn't really his style as far as climbs go. But on the longer steeper climbs, if he keeps doing that, he'll get time on some of the other competitors.

Plus, it sends a message that he may be down, but he's far from out.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Looks like they are treating the midway sprints like a finish as Rojas and Boonen were relegated today for closing Cav off on the midpoint sprint.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...y-bargy_182138

I am looking forward to the mountains to see who can go with AC when he attacks. Jeremy Roy has been a great 2 point pick up for me.
                              Last edited by Probert; 07-06-2011, 09:27 PM.
                              Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post
                                Jeremy Roy has been a great 2 point pick up for me.
                                Agreed. Maybe my only good pick!
                                My Four Favorite teams:
                                RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                                Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X