Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diet and Exercise 2011: Better Than This.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diet and Exercise 2011: Better Than This.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    BTW, is that a water pack you have? How is it to run with it? The most I've tried is a belt with 3 bottles on it.
    Yup, it's this guy. It's not bad to run with at all, I hardly know it's there. It holds about 72 oz of water, so total it's an extra 7 pounds or so of weight. Works great for long hikes and trail runs.
    Old Monster Records

Comment

Well... the streak had to end sometime. Today's 5K was the first race in 2 years in which I did not set a new PR. Also, I came nowhere close to my goal time. I did, however, have a valid excuse to run around wearing a moose hat, so I will take the 24:17 and be happy.
      Always a Wildcat...
      Originally posted by Kepler
      If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Yeah it really depends on the crossfit gym. People buy an affiliation and then they are kind of off on their own. There are alot of GREAT crossfit boxes out there, but unfortuantly there are just as many bad ones.
        www.karenwingerphotography.com

Comment

My new food journal has revealed that I'm stressed out and a compulsive eater to boot.

Also, I've been struggling to get back into a routine after Chicago. Granted, class has me moving around, cooking up a storm, moving heavy pots and pans, etc, but nothing replaces my morning runs.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Here's I spent my Saturday morning:

2 dozen tractor tire flips (about a 300 pound tire), 60/70/80/90/100 pound overhead presses (2 at each weight), 200 pushups, 50 pullups, 200 sledehammer swings, 100 burpees, a mile of running up and down a steep hill, 3 miles of farmers carrying 50 or 100 pounds, 100 overhead presses with 50 pounds, 100 squats with 50 pounds, and 3 miles of general trail running. Fun times.
            Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post

2 dozen tractor tire flips (about a 300 pound tire), 60/70/80/90/100 pound overhead presses (2 at each weight), 200 pushups, 50 pullups, 200 sledehammer swings, 100 burpees, a mile of running up and down a steep hill, 3 miles of farmers carrying 50 or 100 pounds, 100 overhead presses with 50 pounds, 100 squats with 50 pounds, and 3 miles of general trail running. Fun times.
              dare I even ask how long that takes to recover from?

------

resting on the couch with a heating pad... tweaked my back playing kickball.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Apparently, I can't have caffeine before a workout, either. There will be plenty of time for coffee after I get done!
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post

Gotta Love Saturday WODs
                  Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  My new food journal has revealed that I'm stressed out and a compulsive eater to boot.

Also, I've been struggling to get back into a routine after Chicago. Granted, class has me moving around, cooking up a storm, moving heavy pots and pans, etc, but nothing replaces my morning runs.
                  I am not so much stressing eating, but my back was solid rock. The chiropracter broke it up today so now I feel like a new person!
                  www.karenwingerphotography.com

Comment

Ran the Y Turkey Trot this year in 30:20, 49 second improvement over last year! When I heard my time at mile 2 was 19:40, I knew I could beat 31:11. And this is the fastest I've run a 5K in close to 3 years.

Comment

Well, my bid to break 21:45 was unsuccessful. However, I will call the 2011 racing season a resounding success.
                      Always a Wildcat...
                      If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Now that we are creeping toward the end of the year, and the holiday feeding frenzy, it seems to be a good time to reflect on the year.

My year wasn't nearly what I wanted to be. Tried for the second time to run a marathon. And for the second straight year, I hurt my right foot, this time a lot worse than last year- an actual fracture. Whereas Mrs. Alfa's injury was very bad to the point of missing a marathon- she has healed pretty well, and is back to 80% running. Me, on the other hand, still has soreness in my foot, and limit most of my running to treadmills. Those suck.

Ran for the 4th time outside yesterday since I got hurt. Man, running outside is so nice. We did a 5 mile fun run for charity in about 50min. Still sore, and still scared, but for sure I'm limiting my peak miles to 6 right now. The soreness really creeps in at 4, and it makes me very nervous.

If anyone is curious- it appears that I land on the outside of my right foot, and then slap down the inside, which seems to torque the whole thing a little funny. Not what I expected to see, but that's what the video showed. Also showed that I'm not pushing off with the left/rotating to the right the same, and when I focus on pushing/rotating, my foot feels better. gotta work on my stride some more, but also need to get some more flexibilty in my feet. Years of binding them tight into skates appear to be causing issues.

A new PITA- I've gained weight. Not cool. And not good for the foot. So I really need to focus on not eating too much for the holiday- as I'm trying to get back to at least under 180, and closer to 170 by next June.

Goals for 2012- back to my original- be capable of a half marathon whenever I want. Maybe speed for one or two a year, but be capable of one at all times. I was there last year- it wasn't until I was pushing over 16 miles on long runs that the foot really started causing problems. Some nice local races seem to be available, too- 10k in April (or 5k), two local half marathons in June, and a selection of fall runs. We are looking for a low key fall race- no more Detroit until we get some more miles and I know I can spend the money and be sure I can do it (two registrations in a row have been wasted).

I'll take off the winter season with the group, and focus on cross training to help heal. May do some Saturday runs with them, since they are so great to run with. But just can't stress too much, too soon.

Any other reflections, possible 2012 goals? I'll re-post them once a 2012 thread starts.

Comment

alfa, if you ever feel like coming west, you'd love the Old Boys' Brewhouse 1/2 marathon in Spring Lake. Your prize is a beer glass, which the bar will graciously fill for you after the race is over.

As for me, I gained weight, but I went too far and am up to 225-230. It does make it a PITA to run, but I've been told I look much healthier now than I did at this time last year.

Food: I finally beat anorexia and orthorexia, the unhealthy obsession with eating healthy. Where I wouldn't touch bacon with a 39.5' pole in 2009, I now enjoy bacon every chance I get. I also started eating dessert again.

Running: I'm experiencing a new found joy that was absent in 2009 and 2010. Miles are no longer forced, they come naturally. On Saturday, I went for a 7 miler, and found myself feeling the snow and experiencing each step for the first time. Chicago was a bust, but that was because of caffeine and dehydration. We'll never let that happen again.

Caffeine: No doubt I need to cut back, but with so many responsibilities, I'm having the time of my life keeping these balls in the air.

Goals for 2012 include:

1. getting back to 200.

2. Running the Fifth-Third 25K in Grand Rapids in May, then the MTC marathon in Minnesota come October.

3. Going back to 1-2 cups of coffee per day.

I have more, but those are a good start.

Comment

So, I've been back in the gym on a regular basis since about mid-October... Got back into it due to not being able to just jump back into athletic activity and being able to pick up where I left of in almost no time... Really at a point to where I feel my snowboarding would start to suffer without some training coming into the season...

Since that point, I've made gains, and I'm comfortable where I stand at the moment... That being said, I think I'm coming on a decision that is critical to keep me making gains and reaching goals... That decision is what to do about a workout partner...

I'll openly admit that I am horrible at keeping with a program when going solo... It'll work for a bit, but my mind just wanders and I lose motivation.... I need a partner to get the most out of a workout... That being said, I've worked with 3 people since starting and no one seems like a real good fit... Two of the people are just "casual" workout people... They'll go when it's convenient for them... But they aren't willing to make concessions when it's needed to get into the gym... Usually this is a schedule conflict relating to work... We all work different schedules, and the other two guys are usually tied up with errands during free time on days off... And they aren't really motivated to go at other times that might fall out of their "convenience" window... When they are in the gym, it's great working with them... Just need to get there...

Third guy has been the main guy I've been working with... Made most of my gains because of him... That being said, I think we're coming to a point where our philosophies and goals are different... To put it bluntly, the guy is a meathead body builder type... Size is the only goal in the gym... Agility, quickness, and flexability are all foreign concepts to him... "Cardio" to him is walking on a treadmill at 3.5mph for 10 minutes at the beginning of a workout... This is not what I want out of a program... Size is nice, but snowboarding is the main reason I'm doing this... I need to not only build strength, but maintain and improve flexibility, along with cardio and endurance... Guy #3 already cracks jokes at me using a Bosu Ball a ton for leg workouts... I just think that as we advance, we're gonna have different theories on what we should do... Don't get me wrong, I am loving that I am bulking up a bit and love the appearance improvements... I just see that as part of the picture where as this guy sees that as the only picture...

Anyone have any insight to this? Should I just try and do patchwork workouts with the first two guys? Stick with guy three till we have a blow up and then go solo? Just work with random people at the gym? Never had this come up before, so just not sure how to handle it...
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

It really sounds like neither guy is a good fit. Maybe, if you have days where you focus more on the strength training end of things, you can work with guy three, but the other two? Cut them loose.

As for BOSU, it will be a cold day in hell before you get me on one of those. I watched my sister nearly crack her head open falling off one. She still uses it, but I will never get that sickening thud noise out of my head as long as I live.

In other news, preliminary 2012 objectives:
                              1. First Marathon
                              2. First Triathlon
                              3. Run a trail race
                              4. Crack 1:45

I'll take any two or three of those four. Also, something I decided: stop using, "but I'm getting married in June, so I have enough on my plate" as an excuse to not get working toward those goals. I do know there is a lot of work in putting one of those events on, but I will still have a life after this shindig, so why wait until after to keep working on those ^^ goals?
                              Last edited by nmupiccdiva; 12-22-2011, 07:28 AM.
                              Always a Wildcat...

Comment

Working...
                              X