Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diet and Exercise 2011: Better Than This.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diet and Exercise 2011: Better Than This.

Originally posted by winger View Post
    It is the piece of rebar I bent for the strong man thing I did on saturday. They let me take it home (they also painted the ladies one pink).
    Shouldn't is be strong woman?
    My Four Favorite teams:
    RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
    Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

we've found a lifting plan put together by Mark Allen, one of the greatest names in Ironman history. It's a plan designed to maximize the efficiency of the muscles most used during a triathlon. Twelve various lifts, over the course of about 18 weeks. We start on March 7th, timing it to end at our 1/2 Ironman.

also, went to a place in Denver called SwimLabs yesterday to have my swim stroke analyzed. Just a couple things to work on, but overall, I've got an extremely strong stroke and with a few minor tweaks, could cut my swim time down by about 5 minutes per mile.
      Last edited by Sloe Gin; 02-10-2011, 10:09 AM.
      Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

As unimpressive as this will sound to most of you, it's a positive thing for me. Halved my mile/rate as of today. Was doing about a 20 minute mile (not really on any pace, just wanted to get to a mile) at the beginning of January after 5 months of depression, craziness, laziness, and other factors). As of today, I'm down to a 10 minute mile. Not a huge deal to you marathon-ers (it would take me days to finish one), but a nice start for me. I've got my eye on this race in Waterville Valley - race info. 148 days until race day. (I'd like to thank Fox's "Mike and Molly" tv-show for realizing that life as a punch-line really sucks.)

We're also doing strength training (for me) and weight-lifting (for the bf) both to get healthy (and for potential jobs - for me).

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
          As unimpressive as this will sound to most of you, it's a positive thing for me. Halved my mile/rate as of today. Was doing about a 20 minute mile (not really on any pace, just wanted to get to a mile) at the beginning of January after 5 months of depression, craziness, laziness, and other factors). As of today, I'm down to a 10 minute mile. Not a huge deal to you marathon-ers (it would take me days to finish one), but a nice start for me. I've got my eye on this race in Waterville Valley - race info. 148 days until race day. (I'd like to thank Fox's "Mike and Molly" tv-show for realizing that life as a punch-line really sucks.)

We're also doing strength training (for me) and weight-lifting (for the bf) both to get healthy (and for potential jobs - for me).
          That's a big deal. And impressive. Good job!

(I know since I'm struggling to get anywhere near my previous half marathon pace, and am currently above 10min/mi....)

Comment

Actually, a 10 minute mile is quite impressive! To put it in perspective for you, I'm training at a 9:25-9:30 pace right now. Any steps forward to being stronger and being healthier are reasons to be proud and to celebrate.
            And, that race looks like SO much fun!!
            Always a Wildcat...
            Originally posted by Kepler
            If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
              Actually, a 10 minute mile is quite impressive! To put it in perspective for you, I'm training at a 9:25-9:30 pace right now. Any steps forward to being stronger and being healthier are reasons to be proud and to celebrate.
              And, that race looks like SO much fun!!
              My only thing is that after 2 miles...I'm caput.

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked! I've only been to Waterville to ski in the winter and it was -80 with the windchill (back in 2002? 2001?), so I'm eager to see it when it's nice outside.

Comment

Just got back from a 2 week safari in Kenya. Our hotel n Nairobi had a gym in it, so the wife and I decided it'd be wise to go a couple of times. I forgot that other (backward) countries in the world go by kilos instead of pounds. That first set of snatches was a bit of a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                  That first set of snatches was a bit of a surprise.
                  so, let's see... throw on a couple of 10s (honestly, if you pick up a 20 or 25kg plate you just know... I can one-hand the 25 pound weights right now... but not 45)... 40kg... that's a little heavy for a starting warm up. I just say that because I can't imagine you didn't notice moving around 20-25kg plates. 45 pounds is still heavy.

If/when I get my own house and I get weights for myself I'm not sure if I want to go metric or not.

---

Deadlifted 300 pounds yesterday... yeah, probably light weight for unh_hockey or either of the Patronick brothers... but its a nice round number and heavier than anything I've done... keep progressing with 10s per week... I figure I'll exhaust that within a month.

edit: unh_hockey, what are your best numbers... I THINK you are about my height... while I don't think I'd ever in my life match your cardio related numbers I was just wondering what your high numbers were on your core lifts... just kind of a measuring stick... I can't assume I'll pass them... you (and most of humanity) appear to be decent natural athlete.

---

I think right now I'll progress well with squats... I lifted a single set of 265x5 that could have been more (7ish) if I chose to... but I also wanted to not fry myself for the deadlift on 6 hrs of sleep. So, I should be good for a 250 volume set on Monday... last time I was getting this heavy for volume days I failed... well, last time I was at 245... so I'm at that now. I think I'm good without question up to 275... probably well beyond, but you kinda want to scope out the view before saying anything more certain.

So, let's see... on pace for 315 deads in 2 weeks... 300 squat volume day in 11 weeks... end of May.... realistically (holidays, sickness, career landmark event) mid-to-end June. I think work will interfere with every bit of my life in the next few months but it should be worth it. For that matter, I should be coding now but I'm just tired right now. I'd love to hit press and bench press landmarks, but my progression is too slow... but that's the nature of it. 200 bench in say mid-June/mid-July. Would like to see my pulls (clean-jerk/snatch) get better, but in a gym without bumpers that gets harder.
                  Last edited by Patman; 02-12-2011, 06:26 PM.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I have had lower back issues these past few weeks and I have not been consistent with the heavy lifts for a long time. About a year ago when I was a bit more consistent, I believe my big 3 were 215-225 bench, 320 lb back squat, and something like 360 or 370 for a deadlift. At that time I stood at 5'10" and 175 lbs give or take. Right now I am hovering at 180, but do not think I could achieve those numbers without some work. Being inconsistent is a bad thing which my workouts and lifting are. My diet is clean, and I am working on volume not strength so that should allow for the lower back to heal.
                    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

10 minute mile? I'm training at 10:08-10:20/mile right now, so keep it up!

And I'm taking another step in recovery: This is my fifth day of not keeping a food diary. I figure I eat the same things day in, day out, and I snack on fresh fruits and veggies all day, so I don't need to track my calories.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                        10 minute mile? I'm training at 10:08-10:20/mile right now, so keep it up!

And I'm taking another step in recovery: This is my fifth day of not keeping a food diary. I figure I eat the same things day in, day out, and I snack on fresh fruits and veggies all day, so I don't need to track my calories.
                        That's a big step, Bob. Congrats!

Two milestones today:
                        1. I hit 100 miles on the year. It took me until May 13th to do that last year!
                        2. I broke 9:00 min/mile on the 4 miles--I finished in 35:44.
                        Always a Wildcat...
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Nice work, 'diva!

Ran for 40+ minutes today, and it was the slowest 40 minutes ever. Should have worn my YakTrax today...
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

255, 5 reps, 4 sets squats today.... woof. Extra day of recovery to my advantage... went better than last week... but just as this week had an extra day next week will be a day less. I don't know how well I'll progress in the near term... all I do is I want to work because I know there's a lot of stuff to be done at work... so with my coach working out at home and occasionally in the gym it'll be MUCH harder to push myself... 'cause I'd rather be trying to figure out things on my project. Not that I'm against the gym... but when you're thinking about technical matters and sorting it all out lifting becomes second priority......

especially since its starting to get really heavy... I admit, the other part is that I'm getting scared of the bar for the squat. 255 is where I got back last spring for three sets of five.... so I'm back into making progress... but its tough when you're breathing to catch up with yourself and the effort back up is harder.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              255, 5 reps, 4 sets squats today.... woof. Extra day of recovery to my advantage... went better than last week... but just as this week had an extra day next week will be a day less. I don't know how well I'll progress in the near term... all I do is I want to work because I know there's a lot of stuff to be done at work... so with my coach working out at home and occasionally in the gym it'll be MUCH harder to push myself... 'cause I'd rather be trying to figure out things on my project. Not that I'm against the gym... but when you're thinking about technical matters and sorting it all out lifting becomes second priority......

especially since its starting to get really heavy... I admit, the other part is that I'm getting scared of the bar for the squat. 255 is where I got back last spring for three sets of five.... so I'm back into making progress... but its tough when you're breathing to catch up with yourself and the effort back up is harder.
                              You have come a long way! Keep up the good work!

As for me, I'm up to 180, and my size 32 pants still fit. My running has benefitted from the weight gain; seems like I have a higher "fuel economy" now. I can run longer without having to reach for a gel after 45 minutes, my steps are lighter now, and it's just fun now. Last year, between being diagnosed with anemia and my mother's death, I had to wind myself up to exercise. This year, going for a run or to the gym is something I look forward to, and I hope it keeps up.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                This year, going for a run or to the gym is something I look forward to, and I hope it keeps up.
                                This is what I need... but it has yet to happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X