Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diet and Exercise 2011: Better Than This.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diet and Exercise 2011: Better Than This.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Bob- You finished. And that by itself is awesome.

Whereas some of us are still on injured reserve.

I'll +1,000,000 the comment about caffenine. Mrs Alfa did that, add in some lack of water, and it was a bad problem. Post event reading showed that it was also very dangerous.

(as for my update, my Dr has told me that weight bearing stuff is ok- so I'm easing my way back into running)
    Thanks, alfa! As for caffeine, even though my knees were killing me, I was doing well until I took one caffeinated gel. The headache came and I was slowed to a walk. It took 5-6 miles and three TNT coaches to put myself back together, and one coach just told me to get and stay wet. There were volunteers handing out sponges, so she (coach) told me to grab one and hang on to it, then refill it as necessary. Had she not told me that, I don't know what I'd have done...

And it's good to hear you're getting back on your feet!
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Bottles View Post
      I agree to a point - I've went to what I would call a Paleo framework diet but it's not a "I want to lose weight" type of diet - just changing what I eat type of diet. If that makes sense.

By Paleo framework what I mean is I eat mostly paleo but I'm not militant about it. If I want to have pizza once a week I do. If I want to have bread occasionally, I do. But by going mostly paleo I've cut out so much of the junk and high glycemic index foods and replaced them with fruits, veggies, and nuts.
      I agree, it is a frame work for eating and it is not something I am plan on changing once I lose the weight, there are numerous health benefits to limiting the grains, dairy and refined sugars.
      I have been making the changes slowly over the last year or so, learning what my body works best on. And while some people can do the "anything in moderation" I have noticed I have some triggers that just don't work well for me and then I eat crappy and I dont feel good. So there are some food that are just not worth it for me, even as a splurge.

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      Chicago results: 5:57:42.

You bet I'm not happy with the results, but every race is a learning experience, and here's what I learned yesterday:

1. Lose 20 more lbs. Knees were starting to b-tch at mile 3 and continued to whine all the way through.

2. Strengthen my hips and core. Everything else works fine, but my hips are unusually weak.

3. Stop taking gels with caffeine. Got a massive headache at mile 18 and it blew my pace well off course.

4. NEVER hesitate to get wet on a hot day. I had the volunteers with hoses spray me in the back just so I would stay cool.

5. If you need a boost, don't hesitate to high-five spectators. If that doesn't work, meet a new friend and run with them. Had it not been for two TNT coaches at the end, I don't think I'd have made it through.

The goal has been set for next year: 10/7/2012, I am running the Twin Cities marathon.

And I also met ultra-runner Dean Karnazes at the marathon expo on Saturday. He comes off like a jerk in interviews, but in person, he seems like a really cool guy.
      But you did it!!! It was pretty warm on sunday, I was going to try to trek into the city, but New Orleans really wore me out (I slept 15 hours saturday and woke up at noon on sunday)! Someday we shall actually meet!
      www.karenwingerphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by winger View Post
        So there are some food that are just not worth it for me, even as a splurge.
        Two words for this: Ice. Cream. I love it, but it has started to not love me back. I've tried ignoring it and splurging, but I really, really wind up regretting it. The only dairy I eat much anymore is Greek yogurt (love it, and as I'm not much of a meat eater this is how I get the majority of my protein) and a small amount of cheese here and there. Cheese doesn't bother me in small amounts, and yogurt doesn't at all, but anything else dairy based? Forget it.
        Always a Wildcat...
        Originally posted by Kepler
        If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Whelp, I'm done with half marathons for the year, and was unsuccessful in my bid to hit/break 1:45.
          However, I have at least 2 more 5Ks on the year, and I am embarking on another mission: to break 22 minutes. I hit 22:48 in June during a Midnight race in which I had a "well, lets see what I can do" mindset, so while the goal is lofty, I don't think it's entirely out of reach provided I throw a bit of speedwork in here.
          Attempt #1 will be on 10/29. Attempt #2 will be on 11/24.
          Always a Wildcat...
          If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Suppose I'll post something in here... I've been having some issues that I'll leave off boards... I've decided to take a different approach in the gym... while I don't necessarily agree with it, i will follow it and it'll get me down to shape... basics of this is that i let the personal trainer at the gym take over. So, I do a bunch of cardio and free weight type stuff... I don't believe in the application of weights (in barbell we trust)... but in doing this what i get is somebody who is keeping track of my progress and somebody who feels responsible to see that i get somewhere. This is why I can generally disagree with the methods used... either way it'll do a lot for me even if I lose significant strength and I will drop to size assuming I can keep diet in check... which they're also monitoring. Thankfully, the trainer is doing this for free at this point... guess she just likes me as a person Eh, both of the girls there like me... but I'm a goof.

Anyhow, dealing with a bunch of things but plugging my way through... diets suck though... I'd say that much... I want tacos so bad right now. Time to right the ship that is my life. I deserve it.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
              Anyhow, dealing with a bunch of things but plugging my way through... diets suck though... I'd say that much... I want tacos so bad right now. Time to right the ship that is my life. I deserve it.
              You know tacos are not bad for you, right? Taco Bell is, and most tacos that are sold in fast and semi fast food joints can be really bad for you.

But if YOU know how to make them right, they can be very good for you. Very. Known sources of all ingredients, including the corn tortilla- you'll be in very good shape.

Comment

Ok. Thinking of trying the Whole30 and also, since they keep recommending it, am looking into CrossFit. Anyone here from MA do CrossFit, and if so, where do you go/what's it like/cost much/etc?

Comment

You know tacos are not bad for you, right? Taco Bell is, and most tacos that are sold in fast and semi fast food joints can be really bad for you.

But if YOU know how to make them right, they can be very good for you. Very. Known sources of all ingredients, including the corn tortilla- you'll be in very good shape.
                  What he said. Lean ground meat (ground turkey when prepared right is a great lean substitute for ground beef) or beans, go easy on or omit the cheese, load on veggies, and add some fresh salsa. That's a solid gold taco right there.
                  Always a Wildcat...

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                    What he said. Lean ground meat (ground turkey when prepared right is a great lean substitute for ground beef) or beans, go easy on or omit the cheese, load on veggies, and add some fresh salsa. That's a solid gold taco right there.
                    Heck, fish tacos would rock, too.

I know what you are thinking- wrong thread.

If you've ever had ceviche, you would know that wrapping that up in a well made corn tortilla would rock the house. On top of being very good for you.

And I don't like fish.

Comment

Heck, fish tacos would rock, too.

I know what you are thinking- wrong thread.

If you've ever had ceviche, you would know that wrapping that up in a well made corn tortilla would rock the house. On top of being very good for you.

And I don't like fish.
                      +1

I like to season and grill/pan sear some mahi or tilapia, break it up, and toss it in a corn tortilla with tomatoes, red onions, jalapeno, cilantro and slice of avocado. Replace the avocado with salsa if you're really concerned about the calories. NOM. Might have to make those this weekend.

Comment

But you did it!!! It was pretty warm on sunday, I was going to try to trek into the city, but New Orleans really wore me out (I slept 15 hours saturday and woke up at noon on sunday)! Someday we shall actually meet!
                        You're right, it was hot. It was 70+ outside, and while it was a great day for a picnic, not a great day for running. And one day, we will meet!

Shredded chicken would work too.

So I started keeping a new food journal. Instead of obsessively weighing and measuring everything, counting calories, and freaking out over what I've eaten, I'm simply writing down what I ate and my emotions while eating. Not even a week in, and I'm discovering it's stress or compulsion that's making me eat...
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Two words for this: Ice. Cream. I love it, but it has started to not love me back. I've tried ignoring it and splurging, but I really, really wind up regretting it. The only dairy I eat much anymore is Greek yogurt (love it, and as I'm not much of a meat eater this is how I get the majority of my protein) and a small amount of cheese here and there. Cheese doesn't bother me in small amounts, and yogurt doesn't at all, but anything else dairy based? Forget it.
                          I hear yea, now that I don't eat dairy if I have real ice cream once in a while I feel it almost immediately. My sinuses become a complete train wreck and a break out in zits. If that aint a food allergy I don't know what is. I haven't experimented with cheeses or yogurt yet but once I finish this whole 30 I will. I am hoping I can at least have yogurt and some cheeses.

Suppose I'll post something in here... I've been having some issues that I'll leave off boards... I've decided to take a different approach in the gym... while I don't necessarily agree with it, i will follow it and it'll get me down to shape... basics of this is that i let the personal trainer at the gym take over. So, I do a bunch of cardio and free weight type stuff... I don't believe in the application of weights (in barbell we trust)... but in doing this what i get is somebody who is keeping track of my progress and somebody who feels responsible to see that i get somewhere. This is why I can generally disagree with the methods used... either way it'll do a lot for me even if I lose significant strength and I will drop to size assuming I can keep diet in check... which they're also monitoring. Thankfully, the trainer is doing this for free at this point... guess she just likes me as a person Eh, both of the girls there like me... but I'm a goof.
                          I am actually working with a training right now, he knows I love crossfit so he works in barbell stuff and crossfit type workouts into our sessions.

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                          Ok. Thinking of trying the Whole30 and also, since they keep recommending it, am looking into CrossFit. Anyone here from MA do CrossFit, and if so, where do you go/what's it like/cost much/etc?
                          If you can Crossfit New England in Natick is one of the BEST boxes in the country. There are actually a lot of really good boxes in MA, but Crossfit New England is amazing.....

That being said, I suggest trying out a couple of boxes before you commit, they are all kind of different and have their own personalities and that can make a different. As for the Whole 30, I love it. Melissa and Dallas have managed to explain nutrition in a pretty simple and understandable way. Whole 30 isn’t forever, but it is to correct your health, and also figure out what your body is sensitive too. I also like there philosophy on food. Food either has a net positive or net negative effect. Doest that mean I can never ever have ice cream (See above). No, but I need to recognizes that there are consequences. That being said if i eat clean 90% of the time is one bowl of ice cream going to cause me to have diabetes or cancer, NO. I will say, combining their philosophy with the feedback from the Paleo community gives me peace about how I make my food choices, and I just feel a whole lot better. Period.

Comment

If you can Crossfit New England in Natick is one of the BEST boxes in the country. There are actually a lot of really good boxes in MA, but Crossfit New England is amazing.....

That being said, I suggest trying out a couple of boxes before you commit, they are all kind of different and have their own personalities and that can make a different. As for the Whole 30, I love it. Melissa and Dallas have managed to explain nutrition in a pretty simple and understandable way. Whole 30 isn’t forever, but it is to correct your health, and also figure out what your body is sensitive too. I also like there philosophy on food. Food either has a net positive or net negative effect. Doest that mean I can never ever have ice cream (See above). No, but I need to recognizes that there are consequences. That being said if i eat clean 90% of the time is one bowl of ice cream going to cause me to have diabetes or cancer, NO. I will say, combining their philosophy with the feedback from the Paleo community gives me peace about how I make my food choices, and I just feel a whole lot better. Period.
                            What's the cost look like for CrossFit? I have an appointment for a free workout at one in Newburyport (one of the ones recommended on the whole9 website), but Natick would probably be better since I work in Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                              What's the cost look like for CrossFit? I have an appointment for a free workout at one in Newburyport (one of the ones recommended on the whole9 website), but Natick would probably be better since I work in Boston.
                              I really depends by the box. I paid 120, but I am in the suburbs of chicago. Crossfit in the city would be over $200. Some of them have packages depending on how many times a week you plan on going on, others just have one flat monthly rate. So It can be anywhere between $100 -$250 a month. I would check both boxes out, if the Whole 9 folks said that Newburyport is a good one than it is prob a good one, if I could I would totally work out a Crossfit New England!

Comment

rephrase... when you consume 4 flour tortillas, 0.75 pounds of meat, a reasonable amount of lettuce, and half a block of seriously sharp cheddar... so on... tasty though... oh so very tasty.

----

The gym trainer is still getting at me to fiddle my diet... not easy as I don't like to cook... its amazing how little one really needs to eat... and it makes things difficult too. Its hard when all you want to do is search out comfort foods.

I am actually working with a training right now, he knows I love crossfit so he works in barbell stuff and crossfit type workouts into our sessions.
                                I don't want to spend the bazillion of dollars for xfit and my gym trainers at work don't know much about the barbell. I know it certainly can be done... if i'm just doing a bunch of 3x10 exercises then there's no reason I can't squat for sets of 10... but right now I don't want to argue the point. Right now what I need is the personal support and guidance of having people behind me. So, I basically let them do what they will with their plan, knowing it'll cut me down to size either way and I have somebody in my corner, and then see what happens.
                                Last edited by Patman; 10-21-2011, 08:26 PM.
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X