Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diet and Exercise 2011: Better Than This.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diet and Exercise 2011: Better Than This.

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
    If there's anyone that wants to run that day, I'm game.
    sending you a facebook message
    Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
      sending you a facebook message
      I thought you were not going to be in town!

Depending on the lenght, if we run from downtown, I may go on Saturday, so that Mrs Alfa can run. But I want to play pretty well in the hockey game.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        I thought you were not going to be in town!
        for the Frozen Four? I bid vacation for it! I'm in town and plan on not missing a beat when it comes to tri training. Quiz and I are bringing our bikes, meeting up with some friends who are going to do IM 70.3 Boulder with us, and plan on just having a good time. We can probably arrange a group run one of those days. We're staying at the Crowne Plaza. You and Mrs. Alfa?
        Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

I'm running on Brooks Addiction 7s, I recently bought the 9s and I *like* them but I'm not in love with them. I hate being an over-pronator with low arches.

I've realized the only way I will get into shape is to be a complete idiot and set an impossible goal. I'm looking at a half marathon to run. June 5th, 2011. San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Half. Three months to kick my butt into running shape.
          Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

I pretty much only do trail running and I have two pair that I use right now. The older pair are New Balance 876s which are really nice, decent traction, great fit, maybe a touch heavy, and then I recently picked up a pair of Nike Air Pegasus+ 27 Trail WR, which, to me, are head and shoulders above the NB shoes. Lighter, a touch more comfortable, better traction, and a lot more give in the sole which is nice when you're bounding over rocks and stuff.
            Old Monster Records

Comment

for the Frozen Four? I bid vacation for it! I'm in town and plan on not missing a beat when it comes to tri training. Quiz and I are bringing our bikes, meeting up with some friends who are going to do IM 70.3 Boulder with us, and plan on just having a good time. We can probably arrange a group run one of those days. We're staying at the Crowne Plaza. You and Mrs. Alfa?
              Based on you not playing in the posters game, I assumed you both would not be there.... Glad to know you will be.

Mrs Alfa told me the hotel we are staying at, and I can't recall, except that it's 3** Cedar St.- right down town.

I kind of figured there would be a road or trail that runs along the river, and if there were a plaza that we can all meet at- that would be perfect. Right now, Friday is best for me, since I'm planning on playing in the posters game Saturday, but may be able to do 6 miles that morning. More than likely, we would be up for 10 on Friday.

Anyone familiar with downtown st paul to know if there's a park or plaza that we can all jog to along the river?

Comment

Anyone familiar with downtown st paul to know if there's a park or plaza that we can all jog to along the river?
                Everything close to the river may be under water at that time. We will likely get record or near record floods this spring.

Comment

We're coming down that Saturday, but I'd definitely be in as long as it's not too early and someone lets me use their hotel shower facilities to clean up after the fact!

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                  I'm running on Brooks Addiction 7s, I recently bought the 9s and I *like* them but I'm not in love with them. I hate being an over-pronator with low arches.

I've realized the only way I will get into shape is to be a complete idiot and set an impossible goal. I'm looking at a half marathon to run. June 5th, 2011. San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Half. Three months to kick my butt into running shape.
                  Wow, that's a pretty hard core motion control shoe. Have you tried any other styles? Even those of us who have the low arches and over-pronation have the right to run in shoes we like.
                  Always a Wildcat...
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Best I know of is a paved path right along the river that isn't too far from where you're staying. The stretch I know of is ~1.3 miles long but continues up over the road to who knows where on the east end. Three blocks east of Cedar take Jackson St. south until it ends and take a left. Parking area just a little bit up on the right. It's easily walkable from where you are staying.

If everyone had cars there are better options along the river over closer to Minneapolis, but I suspect you might not be able to get a large group over there conveniently as it appears you may be short on drivers/cars.
                    Last edited by XYZ; 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM.
                    I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Ugh, did something really wonky to my hip. Great. Running schedule not getting ramped up, yoga was really hard today.
                      Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

My legs were really sore yesterday after I went a little too hard on my long run. Supposed to do swim and bike today, thinking of skipping the bike.

Comment

I might be losing any excuses I may have for not working out. I have an interview at the Federal Reserve Bank in Boston on Monday for a job I'm very well qualified for and have insiders putting in good words at every turn. There's a state of the art fitness center in the Fed. So hopefully I can cancel my gym membership and just use the free one at my (hopefully) new place of employment.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                            I might be losing any excuses I may have for not working out. I have an interview at the Federal Reserve Bank in Boston on Monday for a job I'm very well qualified for and have insiders putting in good words at every turn. There's a state of the art fitness center in the Fed. So hopefully I can cancel my gym membership and just use the free one at my (hopefully) new place of employment.
                            That's a pretty sweet deal!

My first double digit run of this training plan was yesterday. 10 miles, it was pretty slow but I felt much better afterwards than I did last year. I'm not even sore today, just a bit stiff from all the time in the car that came afterwards. I did, however, sleep the entire 2 1/2 hour trip down to Eau Claire after the fact.

Also, my boss gave me a book to read: Natural Running by Danny Abshire, the founder of Newton Shoes. He talks about the benefit of running in a more natural style, landing mid-foot or forefoot as opposed to heel-striking, and how using a shoe that is overly built up in the heel tends to lead to more stress on the body and injury. It's a very interesting read, if you can ignore the man's blatant contempt of anyone who isn't running a sub 3:15 marathon.
                            Always a Wildcat...
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                              Also, my boss gave me a book to read: Natural Running by Danny Abshire, the founder of Newton Shoes. He talks about the benefit of running in a more natural style, landing mid-foot or forefoot as opposed to heel-striking, and how using a shoe that is overly built up in the heel tends to lead to more stress on the body and injury. It's a very interesting read, if you can ignore the man's blatant contempt of anyone who isn't running a sub 3:15 marathon.
                              Born to Run talks about the same thing. Basically how changing your stride will allow you to run injury-free for the rest of your life. I switched my stride back in 2009 and I have run injury-free since. Of course, cross training helps quite a bit, but that's neither here nor there.

And the last thing you mentioned, Diva, is the reason I don't like Dean Karnazes. I'm tired of hearing how awesome he is and how we should all be running ultras or we're not real athletes. Give me a *king break.
                              Last edited by Sloe Gin; 03-12-2011, 09:51 AM.
                              Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Born to Run talks about the same thing. Basically how changing your stride will allow you to run injury-free for the rest of your life. I switched my stride back in 2009 and I have run injury-free since. Of course, cross training helps quite a bit, but that's neither here nor there.

And the last thing you mentioned, Diva, is the reason I don't like Dean Karnazes. I'm tired of hearing how awesome he is and how we should all be running ultras or we're not real athletes. Give me a *king break.
                                Karnazes comes off as a pompous jackasterisk in every interview I've read with him. I'd rather hear from Scott Jurek or David Goggins any day of the week.

And I seem to have plateaued at 180, which is fine for right now. I'm getting back to using real butter in my cooking, ordering what I want from restaurants instead of ordering off the "light" menu, and just getting back to where I was before the self-abuse started.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X