X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMU8405
    replied
    Re: The 2011 Boston Red Sox: This Space for Rent

Ortiz avoids arbitration. 1 year 14.575 million. That is the middle point between the two offers.

6 days til Pitchers and Catchers report

Leave a comment:

• theprofromdover
    replied

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Looks good in Red. Nice titties
    What he said!

Leave a comment:

• UNH GH
    replied

Purchased Opening Day tickets today!! Cannot wait!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The new reporter grew up watching the Yankees and started watching the Red Sox in 2004. Wonderful. A Pink Hat.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Looks good in Red. Nice titties

Leave a comment:

• geezer
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Word is our long national nightmare is over. The Red Sox have found a reliable 5th starter sideline reporter. UMass alumna Jenny Dell.
    she has well-rounded... umm. credentials.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Word is our long national nightmare is over. The Red Sox have found a reliable 5th starter sideline reporter. UMass alumna Jenny Dell.

*****http://boston.3432.voxcdn.com/wp-content/gallery/boston/jennydell/11531_327285995060_315274300060_9888802_4055036_n. jpg******

Leave a comment:

• amherstblackbear
    replied

What's the effective lifespan of a MLB closer these days?

I'm guessing it isn't 10 years. I had no problem with Boston letting Papelbon walk. I just wasn't sure that Bard was the answer. I feel pretty good about this signing.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Got to give Sox credit where its due. Getting Bailey seems like a good deal. Now they have a closer, they can put that guy from Houston in as the set up man, and keep Aceves and Bard in the rotation. On paper the top 5 look good, just need Valentine to kick them in the ***. I'll say one thing, these @ ssholes need to pitch next year. No more whining about hangnails, blisters, changes in biorythems, etc. Get out there every turn in the rotation, go deep into the game and no two months on the DL.

I'd sign back Wakefield as the designated innings eater during blowouts, and then aside from a couple of middle relief spots the pitching staff is set. Big, splashy signings haven't been working too well for this team so I can live with the more low key approach so far.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
    You know what? The Red Sox will probably not win again for another 86 years with the deals they're making or not making lately. Not resigning Papabon or a quality stopper is crazy. Not resigning V. Mart and keeping Tek, Salty, and now Shoppach you no have 3 sh*** catchers who can't hit leaves a hole in the lineup. Signing Lackey and not the other quality SP at the time of his signing was a big mistake. Over paying for Crawford, Drew was not worth 14 Mil a year for his mediocre numbers, Dice-K is a bust, not beefing up the SP staff cost them with Buchholtz out, the list goes on with the front office incompetence through Theo, Cherrington, Luchino, etc. is glaringly bad. There's no reason to indicate Bard is ready to be a closer and the guys they just signed are big question marks for the closer role for cheap money.
    c'mon... let it out. tell us how you really feel!

Leave a comment:

• BCeagle
    replied

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
    Papelbon turns 31 next week. There aren't many relievers worth $13M a year at age 34, which is how old he'll be for the final year of his contract (not counting the option).

As for injuries, he missed the final month of the 2006 season with a shoulder injury.
    You know what? The Red Sox will probably not win again for another 86 years with the deals they're making or not making lately. Not resigning Papabon or a quality stopper is crazy. Not resigning V. Mart and keeping Tek, Salty, and now Shoppach you no have 3 sh*** catchers who can't hit leaves a hole in the lineup. Signing Lackey and not the other quality SP at the time of his signing was a big mistake. Over paying for Crawford, Drew was not worth 14 Mil a year for his mediocre numbers, Dice-K is a bust, not beefing up the SP staff cost them with Buchholtz out, the list goes on with the front office incompetence through Theo, Cherrington, Luchino, etc. is glaringly bad. There's no reason to indicate Bard is ready to be a closer and the guys they just signed are big question marks for the closer role for cheap money.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Speaking off..... What did the sox get for Theo from the cubs?
    Still working on it.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
    Blue Jays offered John Ferrel for Clay Buchholz
    Speaking off..... What did the sox get for Theo from the cubs?

Leave a comment:

• CLS
    replied

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
    Actually the Winter Meetings drove this hiring. They start next week, and if you go into the meetings without a manager its going to be hard to woo free agents to your team.
    Yes, good point with regard to when they hired. I was referring more to who they hired. Hiring Gene Lamont probably wouldn't do much for ticket sales. The Red Sox might think hiring a celebrity manager would.

Leave a comment:

• NMU8405
    replied

Originally posted by CLS View Post
    I can't help but thinking that, similar to the Crawford signing being related to NESN's rankings tanking, the the hiring of a high profile manager is closely related to the fact that tickets go on sale December 10. I.e. that this is a business decision, not a baseball decision, and that's why it appears that Lucchino was apparently heavily involved and it may not have been primarily Cherington's decision.
    Actually the Winter Meetings drove this hiring. They start next week, and if you go into the meetings without a manager its going to be hard to woo free agents to your team.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X