Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2011 Boston Red Sox: This Space for Rent

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    I don't think that's the thought. I think the thought is more that, while Papelbon is very, very good at what he does, he's not 5 years / $60 MM good, and they can find somebody who can close out games adequately well for a lot less money than that.
    But think about it: Will they find one guy to do that, over 5 years time, or will they sign 20 guys over that time in the hopes of finding somebody to do the job? I read that the team is thinking about stocking up on free agent signings for the bullpen in the expectation that many of them won't work out or will get hurt. Great, but that all adds up especially when its veteran players. Then next year you have to do it all over again. I personally would like to see them pay more for consistancy. Papelbon has been remarkably good over his tenure here year in and year out.

If they were a small market team forced into this decision because of money problems, I'd understand. Maybe it will all work out in the end. But sometimes I think these GM's get too cute for their own good. I'm sure some statistical models argued against Mariano Rivera continuing his high level of performance as he neared 40 years old. Yet there he is several years beyond that and still one of the top closers in the league. I would have figured Papelbon for a nice 15 year run with the Sox too had this been handled better.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      But think about it: Will they find one guy to do that, over 5 years time
      It's legitimate to question whether Papelbon can do it over 5 years time.

I'm sure some statistical models argued against Mariano Rivera continuing his high level of performance as he neared 40 years old. Yet there he is several years beyond that and still one of the top closers in the league. I would have figured Papelbon for a nice 15 year run with the Sox too had this been handled better.
      Isn't there an injury history of some sort with Papelbon that doesn't exist with Rivera?
      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
        It's legitimate to question whether Papelbon can do it over 5 years time.

Isn't there an injury history of some sort with Papelbon that doesn't exist with Rivera?
        I don't see why not. Papelbon's a fairly young guy. Not aware of any major injuries with him either, although maybe somebody can refresh my memory if there is. Basically you're replacing a known, high quality guy for a bunch of unknowns who may be cheaper individually, but collectively start to add up. That's fine if money is a big problem for your team. It isn't for the Sox so I don't like the crying poverty routine out of them. If they wanted to match the Phils offer, they could have so I'd like to know why they didn't.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
          I don't see why not. Papelbon's a fairly young guy. Not aware of any major injuries with him either, although maybe somebody can refresh my memory if there is. Basically you're replacing a known, high quality guy for a bunch of unknowns who may be cheaper individually, but collectively start to add up. That's fine if money is a big problem for your team. It isn't for the Sox so I don't like the crying poverty routine out of them. If they wanted to match the Phils offer, they could have so I'd like to know why they didn't.
          It's not the poverty; but you are right in the organization does not value bullpen arms. They are seen as replaceable and unpredictable in all advanced scouting metrics. Add that to the draft picks he nets them by leaving and it was a no brainier.

The fact that the phillies overpaid is a convenient PR spin for them
          “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
          Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
          Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
          National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Papelbon's a fairly young guy. Not aware of any major injuries with him either, although maybe somebody can refresh my memory if there is.
            Papelbon turns 31 next week. There aren't many relievers worth $13M a year at age 34, which is how old he'll be for the final year of his contract (not counting the option).

As for injuries, he missed the final month of the 2006 season with a shoulder injury.
            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
              Papelbon turns 31 next week. There aren't many relievers worth $13M a year at age 34, which is how old he'll be for the final year of his contract (not counting the option).

As for injuries, he missed the final month of the 2006 season with a shoulder injury.
              How many other relievers worth that money is irrelevant. I'm talking about a specific player. Missing one month 5 years ago doesn't seem like he's injury prone to me. If you have a durable reliever performing at a high level, I don't see why you would just watch him walk without a care in the world.

EDIT: Its a little like the Ortiz situation. You know what you're going to get from him (30 HR's, 90+ RBI's). Yeah, you could crank up the stats model and say don't give a 36 year old DH a two year contract because you can probably find somebody else who's GRIT+ will match Papi's, but really - why go through all that when there's other holes to fill on the team (like two starters and several middle relievers not to mention someone to play RF)? If money isn't an object (and it isn't) and you already have two positions filled (closer and DH) I'm not sure I'd recommend making them an issue by letting talent walk. The funny thing would be if they then turned around and signed Wakefield and Varitek back, two players who really haven't done anything to deserve to be resigned.
              Last edited by Rover; 11-17-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Bobby Valentine? Sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  Bobby Valentine? Sure.
                  If true I like this move a lot. I thought he did a good job with the Mets particularly their WS year. Plus managing in NY he's used to the pressure and scrutiny that comes with the job up here.

Comment

Per ESPN, Bobby Valentine has accepted the managerial job.
                    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Bobby is an odd guy, but just listening to him you can tell he knows baseball. Also as was stated, he has managed under the bright lights of NY, so Boston shouldn't get to him.

Seems like a solid veteran hire. Which is actually not what I expected.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Blue Jays offered John Ferrel for Clay Buchholz
                        Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                        1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                        2006-2007: 15-24-2
                        2007-2008: 20-20-4
                        2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

I like the guy already, only because he's driving negative reactions from half the no talent numbnuts in the press over him allegedly being a jerk. Anybody who PO's the sportswriters can't be all that bad in my book. This is exactly what the team needs. First order of business is to kick Beckett's @ ss into shape and the rest of the starters (Lester & Buchholz) will follow.

Comment

I can't help but thinking that, similar to the Crawford signing being related to NESN's rankings tanking, the the hiring of a high profile manager is closely related to the fact that tickets go on sale December 10. I.e. that this is a business decision, not a baseball decision, and that's why it appears that Lucchino was apparently heavily involved and it may not have been primarily Cherington's decision.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                              I can't help but thinking that, similar to the Crawford signing being related to NESN's rankings tanking, the the hiring of a high profile manager is closely related to the fact that tickets go on sale December 10. I.e. that this is a business decision, not a baseball decision, and that's why it appears that Lucchino was apparently heavily involved and it may not have been primarily Cherington's decision.
                              Actually the Winter Meetings drove this hiring. They start next week, and if you go into the meetings without a manager its going to be hard to woo free agents to your team.
                              Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                              1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                              2006-2007: 15-24-2
                              2007-2008: 20-20-4
                              2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                                Actually the Winter Meetings drove this hiring. They start next week, and if you go into the meetings without a manager its going to be hard to woo free agents to your team.
                                Yes, good point with regard to when they hired. I was referring more to who they hired. Hiring Gene Lamont probably wouldn't do much for ticket sales. The Red Sox might think hiring a celebrity manager would.

Comment

Working...
                                X