Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2011 Boston Red Sox: This Space for Rent

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    ******* width="425px" height="360px" >****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/>****** name="wmode" value="transparent"/>****** name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=40789160,t=1,mt=video"/>****** src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=40789160,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent">.
    I prefer "Girl You Know It's True" myself.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Never thought I'd be ****ed to see the Yankees choking.
      UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UNH GH View Post
        I can hear all of New England begging Girardi to put Mariano Rivera in.
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by UNH GH View Post
          Are you really surprised it's happening?

Comment

Tarp coming off in Baltimore as we speak.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Thread over.
              Season over.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

yowza. i went to sleep when they pulled the tarp out expecting to watch a playoff game today.

funny that madden was right about the destiny line he threw out when the broken bat single helped then beat the sox couple weeks ago.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I stuck around until the 8th and then called it a night. Saw the TB game get tied up too and could see the writing on the wall (especially since the Yanks were playing with their AAA players by that point). My thoughts:

Too many gutless players on the team. Lackey. Drew. Bedard. Crawford. I don't care how much he's making, send Lackey down to the freakin' minors next year. This team needs more Pedroias and less hired guns.

Francona needs to go. Not that he's a bad guy, but he's a players manager and right now the players need a kick in the ***. That's something he's not going to deliver. They need an Ozzie Guillen type, a manager who will publicly question a player's manhood to the press if he takes a day off everytime he has a hangnail. Also a guy who isn't afraid to bench players to make a statement.

Theo needs to have his wings clipped. The best guys on the team are the home grown talent for the most part (Lester, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Papelbon) while his big free agent aquisitions are killing the team (Lackey, Drew, Crawford, Cameron, DicK - I mean Dice K, etc etc). Half these guys are intimidated by playing here and the rest don't give a $#%^. If this Lavarnway kid is playing well in the minors and clearly not bothered by playing the biggest game of the year, why go out and get Saltalamacchia? Epstein needs to be charged with getting more talent from the draft into the pro's. If he can't do that and chooses to don a gorilla suit again and sneak out the back door, so be it.

Lastly, re-introduce 'roids into the clubhouse. The wimps had more ailments than my 90 year old grandparents. Can you imagine if they actually had to work for a living? Much like Barry Bonds, who went from superhuman strength to an old man overnight as soon as testing became mandatory, clearly these players were relying on something to keep them healthy aside from actually staying in shape. Short of breaking the rules (and frankly with Selig they probably could get away with it) they need a new training staff because they didn't cut it this year.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    yowza. i went to sleep when they pulled the tarp out expecting to watch a playoff game today.

funny that madden was right about the destiny line he threw out when the broken bat single helped then beat the sox couple weeks ago.
                    I turned it off when Scutaro got thrown out at the plate...I could see what was coming and just didn't want to ruin a night's sleep with the loss being fresh in my mind.

The whole Yanks ahead by 7, rain delay thing was like the baseball gods setting up the Sox for the worst kind of flop...everything was going our way and then literally the skies open up and everything goes the other direction.
                    I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                      I turned it off when Scutaro got thrown out at the plate...I could see what was coming and just didn't want to ruin a night's sleep with the loss being fresh in my mind.

The whole Yanks ahead by 7, rain delay thing was like the baseball gods setting up the Sox for the worst kind of flop...everything was going our way and then literally the skies open up and everything goes the other direction.
                      I know! It wasn't just that the Sox lost and the Rays won. It was the Sox winning, then a rain delay and Tampa coming back from losing 7-0 to win it....seriously, it was like a movie script. I gotta say, I admire my Sox....they don't just not make the playoffs. The fail in epic fashion. It's impressive.

Question for those of us that can remember......was this collapse worse than 1978? I think it was. Because even though they choked up a 14 game lead, they won 8 in a row in September to force the playoff game. This was ridiculous. Because when you can't even beat the last place team in your division, that's pretty pathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        I know! It wasn't just that the Sox lost and the Rays won. It was the Sox winning, then a rain delay and Tampa coming back from losing 7-0 to win it....seriously, it was like a movie script. I gotta say, I admire my Sox....they don't just not make the playoffs. The fail in epic fashion. It's impressive.

Question for those of us that can remember......was this collapse worse than 1978? I think it was. Because even though they choked up a 14 game lead, they won 8 in a row in September to force the playoff game. This was ridiculous. Because when you can't even beat the last place team in your division, that's pretty pathetic.
                        I always thought 1974 was really bad. +7 on 8/23, -7 and 3rd place on 10/2.

And one final post mortem - both the Red Sox and the Washington Nationals finished in 3rd place.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

Honest, related question. How do you guys stack this collapse up against the Yankees also epic fail in 2004 ALCS? I'm having a pretty tough time figuring out which is worse.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                            Honest, related question. How do you guys stack this collapse up against the Yankees also epic fail in 2004 ALCS? I'm having a pretty tough time figuring out which is worse.
                            Oh, I think the Yankees epic fail was worse. And I don't mean that to be a wiseass, honestly. If the Sox had beaten NY in the ALCS in regular fashion (you know, 4 games to 2, no extra inning games, etc), yet still erasing the curse, etc. to go to the World Series, it wouldn't have been an epic fail on the Yankees part. They were up 3 games to nothing, including a severe 19-8 (was that the final of game 3?) beating, were winning Game 4 when the world shifted a little. It was one thing to lose that game, but then they lost the rest. For a chance to go to the World Series. This collapse was bad, but that failure was Red Sox-like. And I think that's what made it worse for Yankees fans. That's just me of course. What is your perspective?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Oh, I think the Yankees epic fail was worse. And I don't mean that to be a wiseass, honestly. If the Sox had beaten NY in the ALCS in regular fashion (you know, 4 games to 2, no extra inning games, etc), yet still erasing the curse, etc. to go to the World Series, it wouldn't have been an epic fail on the Yankees part. They were up 3 games to nothing, including a severe 19-8 (was that the final of game 3?) beating, were winning Game 4 when the world shifted a little. It was one thing to lose that game, but then they lost the rest. For a chance to go to the World Series. This collapse was bad, but that failure was Red Sox-like. And I think that's what made it worse for Yankees fans. That's just me of course. What is your perspective?
                              I think I agree with you in that 2004 was worse, however I'm also seeing it the other way too. 2004 essentially ended up being a 4 game losing streak. Yes, it had the WS berth on the line, against your main rival, etc... but it ends up being a 4 game losing streak. Boston in this collapse went something like 7-20 for September. However, I do feel that this year's collapse isn't quite as bad as 2004.

It is certainly an interesting debate, and something I'm surprised hasn't really come up yet on the hated 4 letter sports network.

Comment

This was worse than '78 I think (although I don't remember that season) but not as bad as the Yanks 2004 collapse. The stakes were far higher in 2004 and that had never happened before in history. Had the Sox won and made the playoffs they most likely would have gotten crushed anyway so really they put themselves out of their misery earlier this year.

I read that in '78 the Yankees played like .800 ball at the end of the year or something ridiculous like that. In contrast the Rays should have blown by the Sox earlier than the last day of the season but had some trouble (with the Yanks) along the way.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X