Ron Santo: Gone But not Forgotten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Santo: Gone But not Forgotten

Former Cubs 3rd baseman Ron Santo has died and a part of my youth has died with him. He accomplished great things on the diamond, yet somehow has been denied entry into the Hall of Fame. Baseball guru Bill James rates him the 6th best 3rd baseman of all time and among the 100 greatest players of all time. James says it's a disgrace that Ronnie isn't in the Hall, that Santo was better than most 3rd basemen in the Hall. And he's right. Perhaps now the Hall will do the right thing. James draws an analogy (which I'll paraphrase): Santo not in the Hall of Fame is like a zoo with poodles, ponies and kittens on display, while lions roam the streets.

Most of us are probably too young to remember Santo as a player. And most of us who do remember him as a player probably weren't aware that he was a type I diabetic. In those days we didn't have insulin pumps and the other medical advances we now take for granted. Ron kept it hidden for many years and then realized he could lend his name to the fight and help raise awareness and money. Santo lost both legs below the knee because of diabetes.

I have two memories of Santo the player not related to his hitting or fielding. On one occasion in Wrigley Field he was sliding into 2nd and because it had been raining, wound up not ever making it to the base. Just sort of stuck in the mud, like a beached whale, about two feet from the bag.

In the late 60's the Cubs had a temperamental outfielder named Adlofo Pillips, one of those guys with "unlimited" potential who never gets there. The legend is that one time Phillips walked after a ball in the outfield. And between innings Santo had him down on his back in the dugout, explaining how this was the big leagues and we don't do that sh*t here. Cubs manager Leo Durocher (starting shortstop on the '27 Yankees and '34 Cardinals) didn't intervene because he figured his captain was getting the message across with no help from him.

As a broadcaster he was hardly Hall of Fame material. He wore his Cubs loyalty like a badge of honor and didn't care who objected. And he was always willing to laugh at himself, including the time a ceiling heater in Shea Stadium set his toupe on fire!

This was a special man and a great player. A player deserving of admission to the Hall of Fame. Let's hope now the electors will correct this injustice and give Ronnie the recognition he so richly deserves.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...ll/cubs/santo/
    Last edited by Old Pio; 12-04-2010, 05:27 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Re: Ron Santo: Gone But not Forgotten

Bud Selig on Ron Santo: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/111691139.html

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
      When someone passes away it's customary for somebody left behind to say "there will never be another." Well, I've said that twice in recent days, for Ron Santo and Murray Armstrong. In the case of these two men the sentiment is more than just an obligatory send off--it's the God's honest truth.

Ron Santo the player was a blend of youthful enthusiasm for the game and single minded professionalism and desire that kept him playing at a very high level, despite his diabetes. An illness he kept from his teammates and ball club because he thought he might not be able to play if word got out. I'm less familiar with Santo the broadcaster since I haven't lived in Chicagoland for years. But my understanding of his broadcast persona is exactly what I would have expected of Santo the player. All heart, all the time.

It is past time for the Hall of Fame to correct a glaring error and install Santo in the shrine. He's earned it. He deserves it. And to continue denying him the recognition cheapens the Hall, not Ron Santo.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I'm a Phillies fan first and a baseball fan second. I have an XM radio and listen to a lot of games during the course of the season. Cubs games without Ron Santo are going to sound awfully strange. He was the ultimate homer, but he was awfully fun to listen to. His passion for the game and his team were contagious. Thanks for all you did for and meant to the game Ron.
        Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
        2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Working...
        X