X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama 7 - now what?

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I'm usually pretty good with euphemisms, but...
    It's a Seinfeld reference.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'm usually pretty good with euphemisms, but...
      According to TMZ, she was alone on the sex tape.

You can connect the dots from there.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/11/0...ent/index.html
      Last edited by SPIN CONTROL; 11-05-2009, 01:21 PM.
      Fighting the good fight

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
        As far as the polygamy stuff go...the main reason polygamy is illegal is religious. When Joseph Smith began practicing polygamy in the 1830's-40's he kept it secret amongst a few of his quorum of the 12 until his death basically...because he was afraid of the reprucussions it would have to his followers and politically. It was either right before his death or shortly after his murder that the covenant was revealed and the backlash was enough to split his church and eventually seek condemnation from the United States...polygamy is a deeply seeded religious issue and thats why it is illegal.
        Polygamy is illegal for the same reason that when you were 6, your mother wouldn't let you eat your entire bag of halloween candy. It's to save us from ourselves.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SPIN CONTROL View Post
          According to TMZ, she was alone on the sex tape.

You can connect the dots from there.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/11/0...ent/index.html
          I read something on E-online! over lunch that said some pron website even refused to buy it for $10,000 because it's "too graphic" ... which means it should be really, really "interesting".
          "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            You're mistaken. As I already noted it happend after Bush came into office.
            Verify this one. I'm not finding anything where the Bush Admin weakened the CRA. In '03, there were findings that the CRA had been weakened by the changing financial landscape, but there wasn't anything specifically done by the Bush Administration. If anything, the Bush Administration weakened the enforcement of the CRA.....which would lead to fewer CRA loans being made.

Here's some light reading for you. It illustrates how Fannie/Freddie were in the business of guaranteeing subprime/non-traditional mortgages:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...d=f:92231.wais

Again, you are mistaken. The vast majority of subprime loans didn't come from Fannie/Freddie (nor were they related to CRA) and neither did the vast majority of failed loans - they came from private lenders.
            Not quite.

In November 2000 Fannie Mae announced that the Department of Housing and Urban Development would soon require it to dedicate 50% of its business to low- and moderate-income families." It stated that since 1997 Fannie Mae had done nearly $7 billion in CRA business with depository institutions, but its goal was $20 billion. In 2001 Fannie Mae announced that it had acquired $10 billion in specially-targeted Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) loans more than one and a half years ahead of schedule, and announced its goal to finance over $500 billion in CRA business by 2010, about one third of loans anticipated to be financed by Fannie Mae during that period.

November 2000 = Clinton era. Yes, half of subprime/non-traditional loans were made by lenders outside of CRA regulation.....but what about the other half?

And you still have yet to answer as to why Fannie/Freddie were amongst the first of the lenders to face going under. There's a reason: It was because they were jumping in to the subprime/non-traditional mortgage market.
            Bruce Ciskie > PA

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Blizzard Drinking: Duluth's Answer to Gulf Coast Hurricane Parties

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              Polygamy is illegal for the same reason that when you were 6, your mother wouldn't let you eat your entire bag of halloween candy. It's to save us from ourselves.
              but my mom did let me eat the whole bag...thats why i weigh 300 pounds
              UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
              NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
              Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                but my mom did let me eat the whole bag...thats why i weigh 300 pounds
                Priceless has two accounts?
                Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

gun ownership is not a God given right, it's a government provided privelege
                  Originally posted by geezer View Post
                  I can't think of one single instance in which use of this phrase might be accurate.
                  Cry me a river. I think law abiding citizens should be able to own guns - I just don't find it be a God given right.
                  I know - I just wish everyone understood that the government never "provides" anything to anyone. This goes way beyond gun control. The only thing the government can do is take things/rights/privileges away (whether or not you agree with their right to do so in certain instances). The loss of the distinction has led to the mess we're in today.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

(gun ownership is not a God given right, it's a government provided privelege)

How did I ever miss this.

Sure, it's a "government provided privelege" so long as you also agree that speaking freely and wiping your *** are in the same category.
                    "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government"...Thomas Jefferson
                    sigpic

Comment

I know - I just wish everyone understood that the government never "provides" anything to anyone. This goes way beyond gun control. The only thing the government can do is take things/rights/privileges away (whether or not you agree with their right to do so in certain instances). The loss of the distinction has led to the mess we're in today.
                      The government doesn't give you rights, but governments are instituted among men to protect certain rights that otherwise would otherwise have no practical means, and might as well not exist.

There are no "rights" at all in nature red in tooth and claw. Governments don't give us rights, but the the existence of some sort of agreement between people -- government -- is the practical sine qua non of all rights.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The government doesn't give you rights, but governments are instituted among men to protect certain rights that otherwise would otherwise have no practical means, and might as well not exist.

There are no "rights" at all in nature red in tooth and claw. Governments don't give us rights, but the the existence of some sort of agreement between people -- government -- is the practical sine qua non of all rights.
                        Sincerely, I'd like you to convince me, without the use of any latin, that the defense of life, liberty and the pursuit of cheeseburgers are not "natural". I think these rights exist whether or not we formally recognize them, or achieve them.
                        Or, is there a latin-free ("Human rights for dummies"?) book you could recommend?
                        Last edited by geezer; 11-05-2009, 02:44 PM.
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

Sincerely, I'd like you to convince me, without the use of any latin, that the defense of life, liberty and the pursuit of cheeseburgers are not "natural". I think these rights exist whether or not we formally recognize them, or achieve them.
                          I'd be sincerely interested in hearing you describe the origin of these "natural" rights without mentioning a "supernatural" being.

IMO, they exist only because we humans choose to decide that they exist - they're nothing more than a pact we've made with ourselves. There's nothing natural about them.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Outside of some sort of polity/community/government, "rights" have no meaning.

You have a right to my daughter. I have a right to put a spear in your head. Of course, your angry buddy has a right to kill me in my sleep. Etc.

Your God says you have a right to the land you occupy . . . but mine doesn't. So outta the way before I have to kill you.

Rights/Obligations/Duties/Rules/Laws - all these are inherently social things.
                            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                              Outside of some sort of polity/community/government, "rights" have no meaning.

You have a right to my daughter. I have a right to put a spear in your head. Of course, your angry buddy has a right to kill me in my sleep. Etc.
                              This perfectly illustrates my point about the purpose of governments. They exist not to provide things, but to take away rights/privileges/opportunities (whether to put a spear in my head, drink & drive or "keep all my own money")... no?
                              In this context, a deer has the right to eat my crops, and I have the right to put up a fence to keep it out (or shoot it and eat it)... unless we agree for the good of all to make shooting the deer or owning a gun or building a fence illegal. But the deer, being outside the law, maintains his right to browse.
                              Last edited by geezer; 11-05-2009, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I caught a blurb on the radio that Lehman Bros, AIG execs and other NY banker types got H1N1 shots 3 weeks ago, anyone else hear this? Nurses and other Medical folks around me haven't gotten them yet so why would these guys them first?
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X