X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama 7 - now what?

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post
    Cities are on the comeback due to private real estate development, not government intervention. Mostly due to TIF-type legislation and other tax-based subsidies.

Of course, this isn't the game plan for the Obama Admin. Higher taxes are in order, not lower taxes.
    This is hilarious.

Also, TIF doesn't lower taxes at all, it takes tax revenue from a specific area and uses it to fund a specific civic improvement - one that will (in theory) eventually pay off in the form of incrementally increased tax revenue down the line - hence Tax Increment Financing. It's a very specific government intervention.

The implication in your tone is that cities and urban areas are nothing but liberal havens. It's funny, because (as you note) cities are the product of private investment and economy. They are essentially economic agglomerations of human and physical capital. Like any market, they don't function all that well without a strong government framework.

It's also funny because these areas and viewpoints are very market-oriented, yet this has been written out of the Republican (and to a lesser extent, Democratic) agenda - they're all focused on pushing free market gospel to the suburbs, which are certainly no manifestation of the free market at all, but rather a product of strict zoning and housing regulations, transportation policies pushing highways out into the sticks, etc.

The other thing of note is that in many cities, higher taxes is not an automatic, knee-jerk 'no' as you imply. In fact, many of those private investors and landlords specifically tax themselves more in order to ensure better services.

Cities are complex places, and your dogma doesn't apply. I'll give Obama's administration an incomplete grade on this so far, but they're far better than their predecessors.
    "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

I believe the Clinton admin made an effort in this area with their empowerment zones or a similar sounding name that used federal grants maybe to help improve traditionally run down areas in cities.

If I can be serious for a moment, I do have family members engaged in stuff like this on a local level. Tax incentives are a good thing, but only if you have more important things already in place. If cost was the dominant driver in business growth, Mississippi and Kentucky would have no unemployment.

#1 - crack down on crime. Nobody wants to locate in an area where your chances of getting killed are 50/50. Detroit could openly subsidize businesses by offering no taxes for the next 20 years and nobody would go there.

#2 - educated workforce. I suspect that's a big problem with many "low cost" states. Not enough quality people to fill the positions.

Have those in place, and then you can compete on a tax rate basis. Don't have either one, and your tax rate is irrelavent. Nobody's going to locate in your city.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        I typically enjoy my stop at Fox news webpage...its always a journey straight into the chasm of politics. Now the headline is how a whopping 3/4 of Obama's trips have been to states he won during the election.

Whereas Fox is surprised its as high as 3/4...I'm surprised that states he won don't include some 90% or so. Can you really take a trip every other week to one of the following red states? After my 20th trip to Texas, I think I'd go insane.

*****http://trainwreckpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/final-electoral-map-prediction-2008.jpg******

It is Fox afterall...
        Well, Texas is the second largest state after Alaska. I'm sure there is lots to see in the Red states that could interest the President.

For example, the sieve of a border between the USA and Mexico.
        Maybe take a skydiving trip with Bush41.
        Go grouse hunting with Dick Cheney (then again, maybe not)
        The Alaska pipeline, ANWR, Wasilla.
        Russia
        Canada
        Standing Rock Indian Reservation
        Deactivated ICBM sites (he could see one in VT, too).
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglehockeyrules View Post
          ScottM,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't your picture the skull and cross bones of the NAZI Schutzstaffel (SS)? I take it you are a neo-NAZI and not of a Jewish background; it is quite an offensive symbol. I am curious, but do you have a "Stars-n-Bars" CSA flag flying at home?

E-
          No, only a flag with 50 stars and 13 stripes? But I am curious, are you still on the sex offender registry?
          "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Blanks View Post
            Bob-

Speaking as someone in the business on the lender side, I have to disagree with your realtor friend. We, along with many other banks are still doing 5% and 10% down (depending on your credit score) for conventional fannie/freddie loans. FNMA even offers some 3% and 5% down loans on homes up to $417,000.

FHA loans were only about 10% of the marketshare from 2000-2007. Currently they are taking up about 75% of the marketshare. Veterans of the military and people looking for a USDA RHD loan can get 100% financing.

The appraisals are now ordered through what is called the HVCC. This was established for CONVENTIONAL loans to add some integrity to the process. Appraisers were being pressured by realtors and lenders a like to inflate the values of these homes. FHA and USDA appraisals are still ordered directly from the individual appraiser. VA appraisals are ordered directly from the VA office in DC.

I would be happy to chat with your friend to lend some insight on the current climate here in AZ from a Lender's standpoint.
            Didn't you just arrive here in AZ like last week? First, welcome to the state. Hope you are settling in well and all. If you have any questions on local stuff, feel free to ask me. Maybe you can catch a Yotes game before they head off to somewhere where maybe they'll get some good management and be a decent team. You've come at the best time of year, as the next 7 months will be beautiful. Then you get to experience an Arizona summer.

My friend has been in AZ real estate for a couple decades, and, no offense, but I'll believe him before you. He did say he was told that by someone at a major lender in AZ, and it hadn't actually happened, so maybe the timing is a little later or something.

On the appraisers, my friend basically said there was maybe 5 percent of the market that was doing funny stuff, so, as is the case with so many things, a few bad actors mess it up for everyone else. My point was yet another central bureaucracy is not helpful, except for curbing that small percentage of funny business. But everyone else just gets more paperwork and bureaucracy to deal with, which is inefficient.
            Originally posted by Priceless
            Good to see you're so reasonable.
            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
            Very well, said.
            Originally posted by Rover
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              I believe the Clinton admin made an effort in this area with their empowerment zones or a similar sounding name that used federal grants maybe to help improve traditionally run down areas in cities.

If I can be serious for a moment, I do have family members engaged in stuff like this on a local level. Tax incentives are a good thing, but only if you have more important things already in place. If cost was the dominant driver in business growth, Mississippi and Kentucky would have no unemployment.

#1 - crack down on crime. Nobody wants to locate in an area where your chances of getting killed are 50/50. Detroit could openly subsidize businesses by offering no taxes for the next 20 years and nobody would go there.

#2 - educated workforce. I suspect that's a big problem with many "low cost" states. Not enough quality people to fill the positions.

Have those in place, and then you can compete on a tax rate basis. Don't have either one, and your tax rate is irrelavent. Nobody's going to locate in your city.
              Clinton did indeed foster some good programs at the Federal level, but the overall momentum in cities wasn't quite the same as it is now.

And it's true, tax incentives are a way to bridge the gap - but they do not build the foundations of the bridge.

Detroit has essentially created tax-free zones. But, as you note, the problem with the rest of the city is that you pay high taxes and receive no services.
              "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Now we see what type of sick twisted slippery slope gay marriage has put us on.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

As if he hasn't been laying the flagellum to Gary forever.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I saw a blog this morning that "Dow 10000" will prove to be the point where Obama is willing to take "credit" for the national economy (though it was still Bush's economy as late as last week). The danger being, of course that he decides to claim credit and the Dow drops like a rock. Were I him, I'd keep it on Bush until unemployment drops significantly.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      I saw a blog this morning that "Dow 10000" will prove to be the point where Obama is willing to take "credit" for the national economy (though it was still Bush's economy as late as last week). The danger being, of course that he decides to claim credit and the Dow drops like a rock. Were I him, I'd keep it on Bush until unemployment drops significantly.
                      He'll take credit for the good news and blame the bad news on his predecessor, just like every other president, CEO, manager, coach or spiritual leader in history.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Why does the GOP support gang rape?
                        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Oh, goody. In case the birthers and death squadders need another non-issue to fret about, they can turn to this...
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            Oh, goody. In case the birthers and death squadders need another non-issue to fret about, they can turn to this...
                            I wonder, is it only "birthers and death squadders" who worry about the constitutionality of actions taken by BNPPWO? Or is it just possible people who aren't on the fringes may have some concerns? But then you'd have to advance actual arguments rather than smears, which is much tougher.

Personally I don't think BNPPWO deserves the award nor that he should accept it. But if Barack Hussein Obama, mmm, mmm, mmm, wants to float over to Europe to thank his constituents for giving him the prize, I don't have a problem with it. And I can't imagine congress would stand in his way.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              I wonder, is it only "birthers and death squadders" who worry about the constitutionality of actions taken by BNPPWO? Or is it just possible people who aren't on the fringes may have some concerns? But then you'd have to advance actual arguments rather than smears, which is much tougher.

Personally I don't think BNPPWO deserves the award nor that he should accept it. But if Barack Hussein Obama, mmm, mmm, mmm, wants to float over to Europe to thank his constituents for giving him the prize, I don't have a problem with it. And I can't imagine congress would stand in his way.
                              I think you just proved my point. You come off as pretty conservative on this board, yet even you don't have a problem with him accepting the prize and you don't think Congress will either. Therefore, it would take someone who's REALLY conservative - for example, perhaps someone who cared about Obama's birth certificate - to care about this.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                I think you just proved my point. You come off as pretty conservative on this board, yet even you don't have a problem with him accepting the prize and you don't think Congress will either. Therefore, it would take someone who's REALLY conservative - for example, perhaps someone who cared about Obama's birth certificate - to care about this.
                                I think people will file a lawsuit just to test the constitution... some constitutional scholar will do it. Is it an enforceable piece of law or not? What are the limits?
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X