X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama 7 - now what?

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Jesus, don't tell the right. That is hardcore heresy. The best thing to do is always to do nothing -- the Invisible hand God will sort it out.

If the cities ever really come back a lot of our current problems will at least be ameliorated. The main social problem of the last 50 years was white flight. If we're all in the same bathwater conservatives will start ponying up some cash for services and liberals will start holding the underclass accountable, not to mention that cities spread culture and are the great engine of innovation and art.

Of course, some other set of problems will then make today's look like child's play. Epidemics love cities. So do terrorists.

There is no 'if,' cities (more specifically, cores of already robust metropolitan areas) are already on the comeback. If anyone who was in DC for the FF was here 10 years ago, there shouldn't be any question.
    "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
      The larger point is that the world we live in isn't some magical manifestation of the market, it's been deliberately and purposefully shaped by public policies over many years. If we're really going to address the core issues in our economy (and beyond), we're going to have to address some of these policies.
      Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Jesus, don't tell the right. That is hardcore heresy.
      Isn't that exactly what the right has been saying/complaining about for 60 years? Seriously.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

The larger point is that the world we live in isn't some magical manifestation of the market, it's been deliberately and purposefully shaped by public policies over many years. If we're really going to address the core issues in our economy (and beyond), we're going to have to address some of these policies.
        About time gov't gets the blame for the mess we're in. See boys, there's more than one way to read this.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
          I was talking to a realtor friend last night here in Arizona, and he was telling me that 92 percent of loans going out the door now are FHA loans. That's primarily because with FHA loans you only have to have 3.5 percent down. He also said that as of today in Arizona, there will be no non-FHA loans going out without a minimum of 20 percent downpayment, no exceptions. And given that FHA loans only go up to $350,000, folks who are trying to sell houses above $350,000 are in bad shape, with very few buyers out there with that kind of cash sitting around.

He was also saying that the way appraisals work has totally changed in the last 6 months, with there being some big government clearinghouse for appraisers now, so the appraiser has no direct contact with the realtor, lender, or anyone else.
          Bob-

Speaking as someone in the business on the lender side, I have to disagree with your realtor friend. We, along with many other banks are still doing 5% and 10% down (depending on your credit score) for conventional fannie/freddie loans. FNMA even offers some 3% and 5% down loans on homes up to $417,000.

FHA loans were only about 10% of the marketshare from 2000-2007. Currently they are taking up about 75% of the marketshare. Veterans of the military and people looking for a USDA RHD loan can get 100% financing.

The appraisals are now ordered through what is called the HVCC. This was established for CONVENTIONAL loans to add some integrity to the process. Appraisers were being pressured by realtors and lenders a like to inflate the values of these homes. FHA and USDA appraisals are still ordered directly from the individual appraiser. VA appraisals are ordered directly from the VA office in DC.

I would be happy to chat with your friend to lend some insight on the current climate here in AZ from a Lender's standpoint.
          Last edited by Billy Blanks; 10-13-2009, 05:29 PM.
          TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
            That's the second part of my essay of why America has gone downhill.

The price of college and graduate school has radically increased way past the rate of inflation.

It's a paradox, unless you go to college you probably can't get a good job these days. But if you don't go to a good school you usually have trouble getting a good job. And the good schools are usually very expensive and you spend half of your life just trying to pay those student loans off. And unless you go to a good state school, you're not getting that good job AND avoiding paying for the school for life.

You need to go to college to get a good job, but even if you get a good job you spend most of the rest of your life paying for it.
            Tin foil hat conspiracists would claim that this is an intentional process whereby the only people who could afford higher education are the children of the wealthy, thus perpetuating their place at the top of the socio-economic-political ladder, while everyone else is consigned to work as their menial serfs.

But that's just too way out there to be taken seriously.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              Tin foil hat conspiracists would claim that this is an intentional process whereby the only people who could afford higher education are the children of the wealthy, thus perpetuating their place at the top of the socio-economic-political ladder, while everyone else is consigned to work as their menial serfs.

Did you get that in a mud pit when approached by a King?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

tin foilers would claim its intentional... real worlders would say that's just the way people work when they network. Top structures isn't an mechanism of putting the middle class down... they're networks of friendships and alliances where meritocracy fails and instead a web of micro-alliances are made.

Its not a ladder, its a web.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

There is no 'if,' cities (more specifically, cores of already robust metropolitan areas) are already on the comeback. If anyone who was in DC for the FF was here 10 years ago, there shouldn't be any question.
                  me, with 4 kids (11,7,5,1), ain't livin' in no city.

now my girlfriend, she can keep an apartment there
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

ScottM,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't your picture the skull and cross bones of the NAZI Schutzstaffel (SS)? I take it you are a neo-NAZI and not of a Jewish background; it is quite an offensive symbol. I am curious, but do you have a "Stars-n-Bars" CSA flag flying at home?

E-
                    Last edited by eaglehockeyrules; 10-13-2009, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      me, with 4 kids (11,7,5,1), ain't livin' in no city.

now my girlfriend, she can keep an apartment there
                      I'd think you'd just want an empty apartment there to get away.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by eaglehockeyrules View Post
                        ScottM,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't your picture the skull and cross bones of the NAZI Schutzstaffel (SS)? I take it you are a neo-NAZI and not of a Jewish background; it is quite an offensive symbol. I am curious, but do you have a "Stars-n-Bars" CSA flag flying at home?

E-
                        So, tell us what it's like being the definitive source on how to be a complete jack a s s.
                        "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government"...Thomas Jefferson
                        sigpic

Comment

I typically enjoy my stop at Fox news webpage...its always a journey straight into the chasm of politics. Now the headline is how a whopping 3/4 of Obama's trips have been to states he won during the election.

Whereas Fox is surprised its as high as 3/4...I'm surprised that states he won don't include some 90% or so. Can you really take a trip every other week to one of the following red states? After my 20th trip to Texas, I think I'd go insane.

*****http://trainwreckpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/final-electoral-map-prediction-2008.jpg******

It is Fox afterall...
                          Last edited by 5mn_Major; 10-14-2009, 12:29 AM.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Cities are on the comeback due to private real estate development, not government intervention. Mostly due to TIF-type legislation and other tax-based subsidies.

Of course, this isn't the game plan for the Obama Admin. Higher taxes are in order, not lower taxes.
                            Bruce Ciskie > PA

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Blizzard Drinking: Duluth's Answer to Gulf Coast Hurricane Parties

Comment

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post
                              Cities are on the comeback due to private real estate development, not government intervention. Mostly due to TIF-type legislation and other tax-based subsidies.
                              This could be one of the unintentionally funniest things I've ever read on the board. Can you 'splain to me exactly how a tax subsidy is not "government intervention?"
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                This could be one of the unintentionally funniest things I've ever read on the board. Can you 'splain to me exactly how a tax subsidy is not "government intervention?"
                                Uhhhh....cuz Rush Limbah sed so on his radio show?
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X