X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama 7 - now what?

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    As long as they're going to be in 3rd place in the ratings, it would be nice if CNN decided to re-commit themselves to something like news. People on the right and left know where to go if they want entertainment.
    That would be nice. Someone might be able to do that now and make money. Have a tagline something like "We're news, they're not.", or "Fair and balanced? We never has to ask ourselves that."

Watched a little O'Reilly tonight. He's become a parody of himself. It's sad. He just said, "Look at my ratings." again? It's pathetic.
    Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 10-20-2009, 07:24 PM.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      (god, remember when Sportscenter used to show 30 seconds of highlights and a full box score from every MLB game, including the Royals-Rays games?)
      Those were the days..... so sad they are gone.
      My Four Favorite teams:
      RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
      Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dropthatpuck View Post
        Boo, hoo, hoo. Fox is picking on us and calling attention to our transgressions. Sniff, sniff, sniff. Big meanies.
        Communism is alive and well.

Comment

Didnt CNN use to be just Headline News all day? Simply reporting what was happening and that was it. No spin.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Was CNN ever news? Its apotheosis was the white Bronco. It's never been anything but E! misspelled.
            No. It's never been 'news.' In fact, you can make the case that TV period has never been news, just a means to deliver the news. I'm pretty sure Walter Kronkite said as much.

The key difference before CNN was that the 'news' was just a half hour every night, supplanted by some real legwork from programs like 60 Minutes.

Simply put, there's not enough news to report to fill 24 hours and get ratings. That's not necessarily an issue with CNN, though - they just took the weakness of television to the logical extreme.
            "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
              Fox certainly seems to be geared more at entertaining a certain demographic than informing anybody.
              I don't think that they're geared towards entertaining the demographic that you might be thinking of. Fox News is satire at its best. While I'm nowhere near their polar opposite, I'm pretty freakin' far from Fox News' core demographic. Yet, even I found this to be mighty hilarious:

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PQVqIpqA80Y&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PQVqIpqA80Y&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">

It's like a Kaufman-esque joke on any dimwit stupid enough to take to heart anything they find on cable. Or at least, that's what we'll keep telling ourselves to dull the painful realization that someone as insane as Glenn Beck probably makes more money looking incredulous for five minutes than most of us make in a month.
              Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 10-20-2009, 11:00 PM.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• How dare Congress want the government not to do business with companies that have, "Rape is ok" clauses in their contracts. And **** that Obama for trying to instill a sense of responsibililty in the American people. Hell in a hand basket indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  How dare Congress want the government not to do business with companies that have, "Rape is ok" clauses in their contracts. And **** that Obama for trying to instill a sense of responsibililty in the American people. Hell in a hand basket indeed.
                  Oops. (Last time I checked the DoD was part of the executive.)

This is heartwarming, though.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                    Didnt CNN use to be just Headline News all day? Simply reporting what was happening and that was it. No spin.
                    No. Headline News was always its own network, separate from CNN itself. That said, Headline News has probably taken the biggest dive of any network ever. Even Ted Turner mocks it, now. It's completely unwatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Oops. (Last time I checked the DoD was part of the executive.)

This is heartwarming, though.
                      Didn't you uys used to decry the GOP doing the same sorts of political stunts? Then let me throw a familiar retort back at you, why waste time with this Al Franken b.s. and pass the g** d*** health care reform.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        I mentioned this before but they're somewhat right about Hannity who pretends to give the news. Even O'Reilly's Bernie Goldberg segment admitted as much.

Why they would spend any time on the psycho Beck is beyond me. It's all folly anyway, anyone who can't watch both sides and figure out that their both biased is in lockstep anyway and can't be persuaded no matter how sound the argument.

What makes me angry is that O'Reilly back in the day (even though slanted as hell, and often as psycho as Beck just hidden in an insidious way) used to have an entertaining show. Now he spends ALL his time whining about NBC and the New York Times and with the White House whining it has consumed his entire broadcast.
                        Interesting. You're "angry" about O'Reilly and think Beck is a psycho. Analogous to being outraged at an editorial in your local rag or even a letter to the editor.

That's it? No comment about the WH trying to squelch the press?
                        "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government"...Thomas Jefferson
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Didn't you uys used to decry the GOP doing the same sorts of political stunts? Then let me throw a familiar retort back at you, why waste time with this Al Franken b.s. and pass the g** d*** health care reform.
                          Perhaps you missed the part where I was posting those links TO MAKE EXACTLY THAT POINT?!
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Interesting. You're "angry" about O'Reilly and think Beck is a psycho. Analogous to being outraged at an editorial in your local rag or even a letter to the editor.

Comment: It's dumb.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I believe the point many are trying to make is that FoxNews is hardly the press.
                              Old Monster Records

Comment

Boo, hoo, hoo. Fox is picking on us and calling attention to our transgressions. Sniff, sniff, sniff. Big meanies.
                                But asked how Fox News was different from other news organizations, Gibbs mentioned the channel's 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. shows, in an explicit reference to "Beck" and "Hannity" -- even though those two shows represent opinion programming.
                                Shame on FOX. They should strive to have unbiased programs such as the 8pm and 9pm shows on MSNBC.

What a tool.
                                Fighting the good fight

Comment

Working...
                                X