Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring Out Your Dead (Part Whatever v2.0)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bring Out Your Dead (Part Whatever v2.0)

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I F*KING HATE SIX SIGMA. It's common sense that requires a colossal amount of effort to adhere (no pun intended) to the standards and analyze performance to create new standards.
    To ultimately create the world's best buggy whip.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

please forgive the following nerdyness

I am a relatively late comer to the Apple family -- never had and Apple II or original Mac. I was a graduate student in computer science from 2002 to 2004, and I did most of my work on Linux. I had been reading about the new Unix-based OS X near the end of my undergrad, but never really bothered to try it out beyond a beta copy of OS X 10.0 that I installed on an iBook in my advisor's lab. It had some issued but did show some promise (I pretty much thought Macs were toys though and thought you did real work on Linux or Solaris).

I was doing research work developing supercomputing technology used by the U.S. Army to simulate hypersonic missile flight, and we were designing a new test system. I benchmarked the simulation code on a bunch of systems, and was pretty much sold on first generation AMD Opterons, and then I got a pre-release 64-bit Intel Xeon that performed great. Intel was ready to subsidize a new system by giving us half of the new processors for free. But our sponsor had other plans.

The main researcher that did the simulations was a huge Mac fan, and he and the main programmer flew out to Cupertino and worked with some Apple engineers on performance tuning and said the G5 smoked everything else (I couldn't duplicate these results). Anyway, we ended up building a test system with 512 G5 processors, and our partners built one with about 3,000 G5 processors.

As the ink was drying on the PO (almost literally) I flew out to WWDC 04 as a Linux guy surrounded by Mac fanatics. I was a Mac newbie (I wouldn't have one on my desk for a few more months). Got a VIP pass to the keynote (which just meant I didn't have to wait in the insanely ridiculously long line, just a long line, and got to sit about 20 rows back) and I drank the kool aid Steve was serving. The trip culminated in a trip to the "Mother Ship" -- a keg party at the Apple campus with Jimmy Eats World for entertainment followed by drinking at a brewpub next to campus with a bunch of Apple employees after the buses took everyone else from the conference back to San Francisco. I was blown away by the developer tools and APIs for OS X 10.4, which was introduced at this conference. That week in the summer of 2004 transformed me into someone that was skeptical of the whole project to an Apple fanboy that couldn't wait for the delivery truck to roll up with our hundreds of XServes.

I really enjoyed using and programming on Macs, but after working with two large XServe clusers I didn't have a high opinion on OS X for server use (unless you were a small business with nothing but a hand full of Macs to support, it certainly wasn't great for a large high performance computing system), but it has been the best desktop operating system by far over that time. (Apple seems to agree with me since they eventually killed the XServes.)

I moved from research contract work for the Army (which I did full time for a bit after finishing grad school) to scientific programming and a genetics research institution that is heavily Mac on the research side of the house, but the department I was going to was 100% Windows at the time. I considered not taking the job if I couldn't use OS X or Linux on my desktop (nearly all the software I write needs to run on Linux -- Windows made no sense for me), they let me have the first Mac in the department (the department had legacy project management software that was Windows only so at first I had a second computer just to run that, and then I switched to a VM when the Intel Macs came out, and now it is mostly web-based), and now there is a large group of us in the department -- and we like to make fun of the people doing .Net programming (unless it is F#).

I don't go a day without using multiple Apple products -- my work computer, my home computer, my iPhone, iPod (still holding out on the iPad, but not much longer). It is hard to think of another company that even comes close when measured by the impact it has had on my daily life.
      Last edited by BassAle; 10-06-2011, 12:36 AM.

Comment

The irony is delicious.

*****http://i.imgur.com/5kjVw.jpg******
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Evidently Charles Napier died yesterday as well.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Obama said it best: "There may be no greater tribute to Steve's success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented."

This is true for me. I got a text from someone on my iPhone.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

"There may be no greater tribute to his success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented."
              Also said of Thomas Crapper.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Lost in the Steve Jobs shuffle:

Fred Shuttlesworth, 89, reverend and leader in the civil rights movement who vowed to "kill segregation or be killed by it"
                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Obama said it best: "There may be no greater tribute to Steve's success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented."

This is true for me. I got a text from someone on my iPhone.
                  Pretty sure he didn't invent the TV, so I'm safe here.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by kepler View Post
                    also said of thomas crapper.
                    a
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The Onion, baby. The Onion.

Link won't work because USCHO sucks. Here it is spelled out:

"www.theonion.com/articles/last-american-who-knew-what-the-fuck-he-was-doing,26268"

CUPERTINO, CA—Steve Jobs, the visionary co-founder of Apple Computers and the only American in the country who had any clue what the fuck he was doing, died Wednesday at the age of 56. "We haven't just lost a great innovator, leader, and businessman, we've literally lost the only person in this country who actually had his shit together and knew what the hell was going on," a statement from President Barack Obama read in part, adding that Jobs will be remembered both for the life-changing products he created and for the fact that he was able to sit down, think clearly, and execute his ideas—attributes he shared with no other U.S. citizen. "This is a dark time for our country, because the reality is none of the 300 million or so Americans who remain can actually get anything done or make things happen. Those days are over." Obama added that if anyone could fill the void left by Jobs it would probably be himself, but said that at this point he honestly doesn’t have the slightest notion what he’s doing anymore.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 10-06-2011, 09:26 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Also said of Thomas Crapper.
                        That legend is partially true. Per wiki (and I have read it elsewhere before wiki was around, most notably "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" book series; great series, btw):

It has often been claimed in popular culture that the slang term for human bodily waste, "crap", originated with Thomas Crapper because of his association with lavatories. The most common version of this story is that American servicemen stationed in England during World War I saw his name on cisterns and used it as army slang, i.e., "I'm going to the crapper".[8]

The word crap is actually of Middle English origin; and hence predates its application to bodily waste. Its first application to bodily waste, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, appeared in 1846 under a reference to a crapping ken, or a privy, where ken means a house.[8]

Its most likely etymological origin is a combination of two older words, the Dutch krappen: to pluck off, cut off, or separate; and the Old French crappe: siftings, waste or rejected matter (from the medieval Latin crappa, chaff).[8]
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Pretty sure he didn't invent the TV, so I'm safe here.
                          I own nothing by Apple so I am beyond safe
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            I learned about it on USCHO. I wonder if he was the one who used to close threads after 1000 replies. Didn't that stop about the same time as he retired from Apple.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I thought you had a used iPad you bought from a friend?

Comment

Yeah, I can say that too. I don't like Apple, I refuse to buy their products.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X