Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring Out Your Dead (Part Whatever v2.0)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bring Out Your Dead (Part Whatever v2.0)

Former MLB pitcher Ryne Duren died yesterday.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      May not have had the best stats in the book-but no one was more feared by someone stepping up to the plate. With his speed and occassional wildness-you took your life in your hands standing up there and digging in. It did not help in warm up when he would uncork one that would fly back over the catcher to the screen.
      Last edited by DrDemento; 01-08-2011, 05:12 PM.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        Wow. I remember my dad talking about him. Wore glasses and used to throw a pitch to the backstop just to let you know he had no clue where it was going.

edit: as DrD said.

Comment

Former Harvard star Tom Cavanagh, age 28.
          http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...e-island-mall/
          Originally posted by mookie1995
          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Dick Winters (Band of Brothers), died on Jan 2

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AN9JX-oT_70?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AN9JX-oT_70?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
            Last edited by Priceless; 01-09-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Dick Winters (Band of Brothers), died on Jan 2
                Are you certain? The only news story that I can find online is from today's Harrisburg Patriot News, but there are no details of his passing.

Then there's this from Wikipedia:

Editing of this article by new or unregistered users is currently disabled until January 10, 2011 because of WP:BLP issues; there are no official or reliable sources stating his death.
                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

yeah i started to wonder that too. I went looking for info and couldnt find it. The website majordickwinters.com doesnt havent anything about it either and i would think they would.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                    Are you certain? The only news story that I can find online is from today's Harrisburg Patriot News, but there are no details of his passing.

Then there's this from Wikipedia:
                    Link

Dick Winters, the former World War II commander whose war story was told in the book and miniseries “Band of Brothers,” has died.

Dick Winters led a quiet life on his Fredericksburg farm and in his Hershey home until the book and miniseries “Band of Brothers” threw him into the international spotlight.

Since then, the former World War II commander of Easy Company had received hundreds of requests for interviews and appearances all over the world.
                    No details of his death...

Edit: A bunch of people (including Colin Hanks and Rita Wilson) tweeted their condolences on his death. But all the stories I find go to this site or Wikipedia. No one else has confirmed it.
                    Last edited by Priceless; 01-09-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Link

No details of his death...
                      Same link that I referred to. There's nothing on Fox News, CNN or NBC News websites.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                        Same link that I referred to. There's nothing on Fox News, CNN or NBC News websites.
                        Duh. Didn't even see your link.

Seems strange that he passed away and it hasn't been mentioned outside of one local paper, even to say he's still alive. I'll keep looking...

Edit: This just went up on the Dick Winters site:

Dear friends, I regret to inform you that Major Winters passed away earlier this week after a long illness.
                        Please do not contact the Winters family and respect their privacy.
                        Mrs. Winters will release the news to the public shortly.

That is all info I have for now dear members...I'm still recovering from the news
                        Looks like it wasn't supposed to be news yet.
                        Last edited by Priceless; 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Duh. Didn't even see your link.

Seems strange that he passed away and it hasn't been mentioned outside of one local paper, even to say he's still alive. I'll keep looking...

Edit: This just went up on the Dick Winters site:

Looks like it wasn't supposed to be news yet.
                          Dang - I was hoping against hope. Truly sad news.

Comment

Im seeing the news more widely now and have seen it on msnbc.com. Appears it was complications due to Parkinson's.

Though he may disagree, he is a man who should be remembered and his passing should be newsworthy. Sadly with recent events most people will be unaware...but most people probably would have been unaware any. And again Im sure he is fine with that. Cant be too many Easy Company men left...let alone WWII vets in general.

Truly a sad loss. He was a great leader. Nothing else to say except
                            Last edited by Proud2baLaker; 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

According to his AP obit, Winters was an intensely private and humble man, and had asked that news of his death be withheld until after his funeral.
                              A few of the obits:

WaPo Post Mortem
                              Balt Sun
                              AP

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Richard "Dick" Winters, the Easy Company commander whose World War II exploits were made famous by the book and television miniseries "Band of Brothers," died last week in central Pennsylvania. He was 92.

Winters died following a several-year battle with Parkinson's Disease, longtime family friend William Jackson said Monday.

An intensely private and humble man, Winters had asked that news of his death be withheld until after his funeral, Jackson said. Winters lived in Hershey, Pa., but died in suburban Palmyra.

The men Winters led expressed their admiration for their company commander after learning of his death.

William Guarnere, 88, said what he remembers about Winters was "great leadership."

"When he said 'Let's go,' he was right in the front," Guarnere, who was called "Wild Bill" by his comrades, said Sunday night from his South Philadelphia home. "He was never in the back. A leader personified."

Another member of the unit living in Philadelphia, Edward Heffron, 87, said thinking about Winters brought a tear to his eye.

"He was one hell of a guy, one of the greatest soldiers I was ever under," said Heffron, who had the nickname "Babe" in the company. "He was a wonderful officer, a wonderful leader. He had what you needed, guts and brains. He took care of his men, that's very important."

Winters was born Jan. 21, 1918 and studied economics at Franklin & Marshall College before enlisting, according to a biography on the Penn State website.

Winters became the leader of Company E, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne Division on D-Day, after the death of the company commander during the invasion of Normandy.

During that invasion, Winters led 13 of his men in destroying an enemy battery and obtained a detailed map of German defenses along Utah Beach. In September 1944, he led 20 men in a successful attack on a German force of 200 soldiers. Occupying the Bastogne area of Belgium at the time of the Battle of the Bulge, he and his men held their place until the Third Army broke through enemy lines, and Winters shortly afterward was promoted to major.

After returning home, Winters married his wife, Ethel, in May 1948, and trained infantry and Army Ranger units at Fort Dix during the Korean War. He started a company selling livestock feed to farmers, and he and his family eventually settled in a farmhouse in Hershey, Pa., where he retired.

Comment

Milblog Blackfive reports that Curt Schilling is helping Wild Bill and Babe get funds for a statue of Dick Winters.
                                Last edited by SteveP; 01-10-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X