Who should South Korea fear Most

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should South Korea fear Most

After last nights attack on one of there islands, should South Korea fear the North Koreeans? Or us because we will probably do nothing but "Strongly condemn" this action.
    Now, you can call me gramps!!!

Re: Who should South Korea fear Most

We might publicly condemn those actions, but secretly we should be helping them.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by D3Redbird View Post
      After last nights attack on one of there islands, should South Korea fear the North Koreeans? Or us because we will probably do nothing but "Strongly condemn" this action.
      To put it in terms of the peninsula's national sport, south korea could stomp any zerg rush by North Korea and return the favor without breaking a sweat.

The only thing they have to fear is China getting involved, in which case we would too.

But at least we'd get a remake of MASH out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        To put it in terms of the peninsula's national sport, south korea could stomp any zerg rush by North Korea and return the favor without breaking a sweat.

The only thing they have to fear is China getting involved, in which case we would too.

I don't see China sending troops unless there is threat of a serious NK occupation.

From what we know, this is concerning behavior by NK. The US has little leverage as it probably wouldn't take another war on itself. This would be a UN deal...and if NK takes the offense on SK, then it would have tons of support in the UN. Although it doesn't get the resources, this is the type of issue the organization was designed for...

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what China does do. Supporting NK in its behavior benefits China less and less every day.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

East Korea.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Supporting NK in its behavior benefits China less and less every day.
            ******* type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350" data="http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />****** name="movie" value="http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf"/>****** name="FlashVars" value="id=8a2505951d8bc25a011d9d9b41680168" />****** src="http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" FlashVars="id=8a2505951d8bc25a011d9d9b41680168" allowFullScreen="true" width="425" height="350">
            Cornell University Men's Hockey
            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

I don't see China sending troops unless there is threat of a serious NK occupation.

From what we know, this is concerning behavior by NK. The US has little leverage as it probably wouldn't take another war on itself. This would be a UN deal...and if NK takes the offense on SK, then it would have tons of support in the UN. Although it doesn't get the resources, this is the type of issue the organization was designed for...

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what China does do. Supporting NK in its behavior benefits China less and less every day.
              I think China wouldn't really want a shooting war going off right now, with as much success they've been having. There's a few flights and trade routes that would go around the Korean Penninsula, and they wouldn't want to have to run the risk of any of them being taken out. Plus with the new kid all set to take over, I'm sure they would want to explain very clearly to the guy that China ain't going to put up with any Bullpucky from North Korea that would mess up trade in the Pacific Rim. It would help NK to think of China as Bruce Banner, they're not going to like China when its angry.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                I think China wouldn't really want a shooting war going off right now, with as much success they've been having. There's a few flights and trade routes that would go around the Korean Penninsula, and they wouldn't want to have to run the risk of any of them being taken out. Plus with the new kid all set to take over, I'm sure they would want to explain very clearly to the guy that China ain't going to put up with any Bullpucky from North Korea that would mess up trade in the Pacific Rim. It would help NK to think of China as Bruce Banner, they're not going to like China when its angry.
                NK is very convenient for China, since it's helping us bankrupt ourselves with no risk to Beijing. Them intervening would be as geopolitically self-defeating as, say, us taking out Iran's regional rival. It doesn't take Metternich to pass on that.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Reaper?
                  I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Dirty?

Comment

pirate wins the thread, dammit.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        NK is very convenient for China, since it's helping us bankrupt ourselves with no risk to Beijing. Them intervening would be as geopolitically self-defeating as, say, us taking out Iran's regional rival. It doesn't take Metternich to pass on that.
                        Could be. Its kinda like raising airport security to include patdowns...so as to weaken the push to further censor media. Although in the case of China, I'm not sure of your outcome.

China is selling products around the world...esp in the US. Public opinion is strong in capitalism...and bad enough behavior by NK and enough ambivalence by China, could result in a international consumer backlash that would not be in China's best interest.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

Without breaking a sweat? What North Korea are you speaking of? There's all sorts of information out there on the massive capabilities of North Korea to hit South Korea and possibly take much or all of South Korea before we could do much about it. Now, North Korea doesn't have a lot of staying power militarily, but for a short period of time they could be real trouble for the South. People forget this isn't an enormous area we're dealing with. Seoul is only 35 miles from the DMZ. If North Korea ever unleashed it's military capabilities, Seoul would be in a world of hurt very quickly.
                          Originally posted by Priceless
                          Good to see you're so reasonable.
                          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                          Very well, said.
                          Originally posted by Rover
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Lets hope we don't get dragged into another war. Korean war 50-53 over 3million civilian deaths... 2million soldiers KIA/WIA on both sides.

I wonder how many civilians has died in Iraq/Afghanistan "war" and how many combatants are KIA/WIA in the 7year+ conflict.

Communism was acting in Korea, just as Hitler, Mussolini and the Japanese had ten, fifteen, and twenty years earlier. I felt certain that if South Korea was allowed to fall Communist leaders would be emboldened to override nations closer to our own shores
                            *****http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/KoreanWarFallenSoldier1.jpg/220px-KoreanWarFallenSoldier1.jpg******

Comment

S Korea should fear Kim's kid for sure. NK has nothing to lose. Their people are starving, they lack technology and resources. It makes perfect sense for them to try and take over SK and gain all their resources. And they'd be smart to so it now while the US is still in Iraq and Afganistan. The US militry is already crying they can't fight on 2 fronts and the US public doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to fight a real conventional war with hundreds of US troops dying a month. And over what? IMHO, we should just get out of SK all together before we get dragged into yet another military quagmire. If NK takes over SK, what's the big deal? No more Kia's and Hyundai's? Our national security will not be compromised to a devastating level if we leave. We can still nuke them from the safety of our own country if we have to.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                              X