Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Newton wins number XXVII

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7883472.story

York HS (Elmhurst, IL) won its 27th state cross country championship (along with 10 runnerups) under coach Joe Newton this weekend. They survived the disqualification of their number 2 runner to take the win. Newton has been coaching at York so long he was there when I was in high school! He's 81 and is the only high school coach ever named to an olympic coaching staff. Each year, between 150 and 200 kids come out for cross country at York, and it's all because of Joe. He says something positive to each boy on the team every day. He's not just the greatest high school cross country coach alive, he's the greatest ever, period. He made a great impression on me, and I didn't go to York.

There's a movie about Joe (made by some of his former runners) called "The Long Green Line," on Hulu and extensive excerpts on You Tube. The film focuses on York winning its 25th state title, they've since won two more. This is the kind of guy you hope coaches your son or daughter somewhere along the line. Check it out. Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Cf6nsG7YU
    Last edited by Old Pio; 04-30-2011, 11:10 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Re: Joe Newton wins number XXVII

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7883472.story

York HS (Elmhurst, IL) won its 27th state cross country championship (along with 12 runnerups) under coach Joe Newton this weekend. They survived the disqualification of their number 2 runner to take the win. Newton has been coaching at York so long he was there when I was in high school! He's 81 and is the only high school coach ever named to an olympic coaching staff. Each year, between 150 and 200 kids come out for cross country at York, and it's all because of Joe. He says something positive to each boy on the team every day. He's not just the greatest high school cross country coach alive, he's the greatest ever, period. He made a great impression on me, and I didn't go to York.

There's a movie about Joe (made by some of his former runners) called "The Long Green Line," on Hulu and extensive excerpts on You Tube. The film focuses on York winning its 25th state title, they've since won two more. This is the kind of guy you hope coaches your son or daughter somewhere along the line. Check it out. Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Cf6nsG7YU
    I ran cross country in high school and college and this movie along with the book "running with the Buffaloes" are musts. Absolutely loved this film. Definitely highly recommended and I would love to meet this man some day.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      I ran cross country in high school and college and this movie along with the book "running with the Buffaloes" are musts. Absolutely loved this film. Definitely highly recommended and I would love to meet this man some day.
      I'd imagine your coach had a copy of one or more of Joe's books on the shelf behind his desk. And think about 200 kids coming out for cross country. The first thing the average coach would have to figure out is "where am I going to get 175 new warmups?" And that deal with the tuxedos is priceless. What does Joe say: "I've learned a kid will do just about anything to wear a tuxedo." The word "dynasty" falls far short of what he's accomplished.

I was manager for my h.s. team, and we competed against York all the time (actually beat them this year in an invitational) and Joe was marvelous toward me every time we crossed paths. He's just one of those guys.

"However fast you are running--run faster."
      Last edited by Old Pio; 11-08-2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

my daughters are both running for a highly successful team and I'm a) shocked by how much work they do b) thrilled that their coach is a great guy that gets a lot out of them while making it fun...I'm going to ask him if he knows of Joe Newton...already sent the links home to the girls so they can start looking it up

Thanks for the info
        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
          my daughters are both running for a highly successful team and I'm a) shocked by how much work they do b) thrilled that their coach is a great guy that gets a lot out of them while making it fun...I'm going to ask him if he knows of Joe Newton...already sent the links home to the girls so they can start looking it up

Thanks for the info
          Cross country is kind of a back water sport. Usually very little recognition. Even less glory. The kids who do it work terribly hard. And for a guy to have his team at the top of the heap in a big state for two generations is astonishing. It's not just that he wins almost all the time. It's that somehow he's able to get hundreds of kids to come out for his team. And they all know only the top 7 can factor into the scoring of a meet. Like I say, he says something positive to each kid every day. Every day. Your young ladies are lucky they've found a coach they like. Odds are he not only knows about Joe Newton, he's read some of Joe's books.

Comment

Cross country is kind of a back water sport. Usually very little recognition. Even less glory. The kids who do it work terribly hard. And for a guy to have his team at the top of the heap in a big state for two generations is astonishing. It's not just that he wins almost all the time. It's that somehow he's able to get hundreds of kids to come out for his team. And they all know only the top 7 can factor into the scoring of a meet. Like I say, he says something positive to each kid every day. Every day. Your young ladies are lucky they've found a coach they like. Odds are he not only knows about Joe Newton, he's read some of Joe's books.
            I think part of it is kids just want to be part of a state championship team. I don't know how the recognition works and I'm sure they don't give out plaques to 200 kids but I'm sure they get some sort of recognition for it. My entire team (25 guys) got plaques when we won the sectional title my junior year.

Granted...200 is still 200 kids. The biggest thing is that he has kids go out and "recruit" people to run. If you're not doing a sport...he basically sends his guys out to track you down and get you involved.
            GO LAKERS!!!
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

I think part of it is kids just want to be part of a state championship team. I don't know how the recognition works and I'm sure they don't give out plaques to 200 kids but I'm sure they get some sort of recognition for it. My entire team (25 guys) got plaques when we won the sectional title my junior year.

Granted...200 is still 200 kids. The biggest thing is that he has kids go out and "recruit" people to run. If you're not doing a sport...he basically sends his guys out to track you down and get you involved.
              What I was mainly referring to was pep rallies, homecoming parades and thousands of fans in the stands. I'm sure they get pretty good attendance at home meets, if only because of the huge numbers of parents involved (and they haven't lost a home dual meet in 40 or more years). But nothing like football and basketball. And you're right, there's got to be as much cachet running for Joe Newton as it's possible to get on a high school cross country team. As for recognition, take a look at the film. One thing he does is to take (I'm guessing) his top 21 or maybe more runners with him to the state meet (or maybe it's seniors). If they win, the guys in the top seven wear white tuxedos, while the other runners wear black, to pose for the team photo. As you know, in a state meet a "team" consists of only 7 runners, so the boys he takes with him beyond the top 7 are being recognized for their hard work, because they're not running in the meet. As he says, a kid will do nearly anything to wear a tuxedo. And even if they don't win, they get the recognition of going to the state meet and representing York. Plus, I'm sure you're right that there are other, more tangible tokens of recognition, too.

And he's clever to recruit internally to get kids to come out--that ensures a steady stream of talented kids. But those boys would quickly sniff him out if his primary goal was just to uncover and mentor potential stars for their junior and senior years. The vast majority of those kids are never going to be in the top 7 in any meet, are never going to count. Yet, somehow Joe keeps it interesting for the 158th kid, too. Typically, York doesn't produce the individual state champion, although they've had several over the years. Typically a York team is characterized by great depth, where Joe will have four or five boys in the top fifteen in the state meet. And if you do that, you win.

Take the season shown in the film: two of his top five were kicked out of school and his top two runners were sick. They still won. Take this season: his number 2 runner is DQ'ed in the state meet because of a push, and they still win. That means his #6 kid had to have a great race to keep 'em in contention. Depth. Lots and lots of depth.
              Last edited by Old Pio; 11-09-2010, 12:52 AM.

Comment

sent the link home and followed up when I arrived...wife says..."that's interesting they just watched a cross country movie last week with their team"...I go into oldest daughter's room.."what movie did you watch last week?"...she says, "The Long Green Line".

So, here I am thinking I've got some great revelation to help them in their push through conference, states etc. and the coach beat me to it.

I am going to watch it this Friday...it will get me ready for the meet.
                I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                  sent the link home and followed up when i arrived...wife says..."that's interesting they just watched a cross country movie last week with their team"...i go into oldest daughter's room.."what movie did you watch last week?"...she says, "the long green line".

So, here i am thinking i've got some great revelation to help them in their push through conference, states etc. And the coach beat me to it.

I am going to watch it this friday...it will get me ready for the meet.
                  lol. Post your reaction, love to know what you think. Also how your girls did.

http://elmhurst.patch.com/articles/y...s-country-team
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 11-10-2010, 08:37 PM.

Comment

What I was mainly referring to was pep rallies, homecoming parades and thousands of fans in the stands. I'm sure they get pretty good attendance at home meets, if only because of the huge numbers of parents involved (and they haven't lost a home dual meet in 40 or more years). But nothing like football and basketball. And you're right, there's got to be as much cachet running for Joe Newton as it's possible to get on a high school cross country team. As for recognition, take a look at the film. One thing he does is to take (I'm guessing) his top 21 or maybe more runners with him to the state meet (or maybe it's seniors). If they win, the guys in the top seven wear white tuxedos, while the other runners wear black, to pose for the team photo. As you know, in a state meet a "team" consists of only 7 runners, so the boys he takes with him beyond the top 7 are being recognized for their hard work, because they're not running in the meet. As he says, a kid will do nearly anything to wear a tuxedo. And even if they don't win, they get the recognition of going to the state meet and representing York. Plus, I'm sure you're right that there are other, more tangible tokens of recognition, too.

And he's clever to recruit internally to get kids to come out--that ensures a steady stream of talented kids. But those boys would quickly sniff him out if his primary goal was just to uncover and mentor potential stars for their junior and senior years. The vast majority of those kids are never going to be in the top 7 in any meet, are never going to count. Yet, somehow Joe keeps it interesting for the 158th kid, too. Typically, York doesn't produce the individual state champion, although they've had several over the years. Typically a York team is characterized by great depth, where Joe will have four or five boys in the top fifteen in the state meet. And if you do that, you win.

Take the season shown in the film: two of his top five were kicked out of school and his top two runners were sick. They still won. Take this season: his number 2 runner is DQ'ed in the state meet because of a push, and they still win. That means his #6 kid had to have a great race to keep 'em in contention. Depth. Lots and lots of depth.
                    It's absolutely the depth. But think about it this way...All those kids he gets involved...you have to think that at least one or two of them every year are going to turn into something just by shear probability that some of them will take to the training and fall in love with the sport.

As you said, it only takes seven and if you've got 200 kids chance are you are going to have A TON of in-team competiton to improve and get better while pushing each other in workouts.

You can't take an off day on this team or you could go from the #5 runner to the #21 runner with a bad race.

He does a great job dividing everyone up by skill level so that everyone has the chance to be successful and compete.

I didn't know about the tuxedo tradition. I wish they would have touched on that in the video. I don't recall that ever being mentioned.

Do you know where the two twins from the season in the film ended up and how they have done in college?

Dettman twins wasn't it?

Being from New York, I've seen my fair share of great cross country teams. Saratoga, Fayetteville Manlius, Warwick Valley etc are just some of the strong programs here. The FM girls team has won four straight national titles and should easily win again this season. The program Bill Aris has built there is just incredible. I don't think they are going to stop winning the national title for quite some time unless something catastrophic happens. It seems like every year their best runners are always freshman and sophomores and it just keeps going through that cycle.

Great being able to talk XC with something. One thing is for sure, I'll be cheering for Kroy TC on the boys side come Nike Team Nationals time. I've been a fan ever since seeing the movie.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

It's absolutely the depth. But think about it this way...All those kids he gets involved...you have to think that at least one or two of them every year are going to turn into something just by shear probability that some of them will take to the training and fall in love with the sport.

As you said, it only takes seven and if you've got 200 kids chance are you are going to have A TON of in-team competiton to improve and get better while pushing each other in workouts.

You can't take an off day on this team or you could go from the #5 runner to the #21 runner with a bad race.

He does a great job dividing everyone up by skill level so that everyone has the chance to be successful and compete.

I didn't know about the tuxedo tradition. I wish they would have touched on that in the video. I don't recall that ever being mentioned.

Do you know where the two twins from the season in the film ended up and how they have done in college?

Dettman twins wasn't it?

Being from New York, I've seen my fair share of great cross country teams. Saratoga, Fayetteville Manlius, Warwick Valley etc are just some of the strong programs here. The FM girls team has won four straight national titles and should easily win again this season. The program Bill Aris has built there is just incredible. I don't think they are going to stop winning the national title for quite some time unless something catastrophic happens. It seems like every year their best runners are always freshman and sophomores and it just keeps going through that cycle.

Great being able to talk XC with something. One thing is for sure, I'll be cheering for Kroy TC on the boys side come Nike Team Nationals time. I've been a fan ever since seeing the movie.
                      I linked an article from the local Elmhurst paper about the pep rally after winning #27 in my post to Pirate. And the top 7 boys are wearing the white tuxedos and the other boys (seniors? top runners?) are wearing black. The tuxedos are discussed and shown toward the end of the film after they've won the title. It shows the top 7 posing in their whites and the other boys in black. I'm guessing that's a York tradition that on some level really irritates other coaches.

And don't forget, in addition to the 27 state titles he has more than 20 NATIONAL titles. Joe Newton is more than a big fish in a big pond. He's a whale. Given how long he's been around and how successful he's been, I can't imagine there's a hs cross country coach anywhere in the country who hasn't heard of him. Think about the movie, he's coming off a championship season where his guys finished 1,2,3 in the state meet. And in analyzing his current team he says we're pretty certain of who our top 5 is, and we've got 30 guys who could fill the 6 and 7 slot. 30 guys? That's insane!

In the scene where's he's recruiting the freshmen he tells 'em there are older guys on the team who can help them with their studies. And he says he's got some ex football players on the squad, too. So if anybody gives these freshmen a hard time, come tell him and he'll turn his football guys loose on 'em. He thus reassures these little guys about two things certainly on their minds. He says his boys don't get tender loving care everyday like he gives 'em. He gives every boy a nickname. And spends about an hour a day shaking each boy's hand, using the nickname, and giving the kid some encouragement. Like he says, from the bottom up. This is one remarkable guy. If he was good enough to win all those titles it would be an astonishing accomplishment. If he was able to generate enough interest to get 200 and more kids to try out year after year, THAT would be an astonishing accomplishment (there's a graphic in the movie that enrollment at York is a bit over 2500 and that Joe's team that year had about 220 kids on it He's got 9 percent of total enrollment on the XC team! And about 18 per cent of the boys). But he does both and has done for decades. Simply amazing. You're a young guy, but I assure you, spend 5 minutes with Joe Newton and you'll be a convert.

I've enjoyed chatting about XC and Joe Newton, too. Part of it is that this guy was winning when I was in hs and he's still winning--at 81. He says he wants to win 30 state titles, and I wouldn't bet against him. BTW, I believe the Dettman twins wound up at Oregon. The boy who got DQed in this year's state meet is a twin (both of 'em are in the top 5) and their dad ran for Joe and is now one of Joe's assistants. The Mayor of Elmhurst was on four straight York state champions.

Joe Newton is in a class by himself.
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 11-11-2010, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X