computer issues: part infinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer issues: part infinity

So my desktop (which I'm using right now) is starting to randomly freeze.

Sometimes it works for hours playing games without freezing at all
    sometimes it freezes after a few minutes
    sometimes it freezes when logging into windows
    sometimes it freezes after post while as windows is loading
    sometimes it hangs during post.
    Occasionally it self re-starts during post after hanging up at various points.
    Sometimes the problem is a complete freeze as the keyboard lights don't respond when pressing numlock or caps lock, other times it looks like the keyboard / mouse still respond and it's just a video card thing.

Sometimes the motherboard gives 3-4 long beeps at post code 25 (which the manual says is "Shadow System - Video BIOS") but continues to post and gives the all clear afterwards. It also hangs on other codes occasionally.

The only seemingly common element is that after the first freeze, i must do a hard shutdown (power off, power cable unplugged) to have any chance of getting back into windows for a useable amount of time. If I just hit reset, it normally hangs either during post or as windows is loading.

Don't think it's memory related, as I've removed the sticks and used them one at a time without any noticeable change.

My guess is it's either the video card or the motherboard itself. Short of buying a new video card and trying it out (only to find out the problems persist, probably indicating it was really the motherboard), anyone know a good way to diagnose which is the problem?
    Last edited by unofan; 11-07-2010, 01:47 PM.

Re: computer issues: part infinity

So after doing some further diagnosis, I am fairly confident it's either the video card or motherboard. Basically the beeping pattern it sometimes does during POST indicates a video failure of some sort, and was the same error i got when trying to boot it up without any video card in the board.

That said, I can't tell yet if it means the videocard's shorting out or if it's the motherboard merely failing to read the video card among other things...

So that brings me back to the original question:
    1) Anyway to determine which is the problem short of buying a new video card and seeing if that fixes it?
    2) Before I get to that point, can anyone confirm a video card failure could cause the computer to totally freeze up in the manner in which I described? In other words, is it possible for a computer to run fine for anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 hours before the video card freezes everything (i.e. not just the video?). Can a video card problem cause a computer to hang up even while simply trying to look at the BIOS settings?

Comment

Does your computer have integrated graphics? I always buy Dells with the integrated graphics and then buy my own video (and sound) card(s) at much lower prices. Then I can install them and disable the onboard stuff. I ask, because you could remove your video card and try the onboard graphics to see if the card is the problem. I would think a video card problem would stop the computer during POST as you describe rather than hours later, but perhaps it overheating?
      Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
      Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
      sigpic
      Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
      1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
        Does your computer have integrated graphics? I always buy Dells with the integrated graphics and then buy my own video (and sound) card(s) at much lower prices. Then I can install them and disable the onboard stuff. I ask, because you could remove your video card and try the onboard graphics to see if the card is the problem. I would think a video card problem would stop the computer during POST as you describe rather than hours later, but perhaps it overheating?
        No integrated graphics - it's a combo of a cheap Newegg prebuilt and do-it-yourself upgrades. Kept the motherboard/CPU/disk drives from the prebuilt, but put in my own video card and RAM. Also had to switch out the power supply about 6 months ago when the original one (a no name brand) went on the fritz.

Sadly, I'm finding out it'd be a cheaper fix (though a much bigger pain in the ***) if it's the motherboard. I can get a new one of those for about $60 since I only need one that fits a duo core processor and not an i7. Replacing the video card with a comparable is probably gonna be $100-$125.

Bah.
        Last edited by unofan; 11-08-2010, 08:19 AM.

Comment

zombie thread revival

So I'm kicking myself now. I'd bought a new video card 6 months ago and got the same errors, so I knew that wasn't the issue (and was able to return the card for a full refund less shipping). Stopped working on it at that point cause I assumed it was the motherboard.

Fast forward 8 months and it turns out the problem was really the power supply; I must have just gotten a lemon when I replaced it the first time around and the 12v rail for the video card must've stopped working. I finally got around to trying to fix it again last night and bought a power supply kind of on a whim, since the alternative was going to be buying a new motherboard/cpu/memory (since I'd upgrade from a core 2 to an i5 at the same time) and I was hoping for a cheaper fix. Lo and behold it seems to have worked.

It crashed once while I was in the middle of downloading and installing the 60+ windows updates waiting for me, but otherwise at least it's booting up correctly. I can play the Mass Effect games again. Woohoo!

Comment

Hey all,

I recently had a malware infect my computer (it was the kind that tried to get you to "buy" their anti-virus software and would tell you that you were infected. I used a program called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, which removed the malware. Unfortunately it also removed all my .exe programs. So now when I try to open up any program, my computer prompts me to ask what program should it open it with. Very annoying. Any idea how to to fix it? I googled the problem and followed the common solution I saw. This involved downloading a REG file and a ZIP file. It did not work... Any ideas folks?
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

My computer quit working a couple months ago. So I threw it in the closet. Haven't missed it yet.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                My computer quit working a couple months ago. So I threw it in the closet. Haven't missed it yet.
                You didn't really go to Tech, did you? You just went to a mechanics trade school in Houton and somehow got a degree from Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  And yet you're still here...

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    And yet you're still here...
                    You dont need a computer to post...hell most cellphones are better than the computers out there anyways
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Stop using WinBlows.

All computer issues solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        You dont need a computer to post...hell most cellphones are better than the computers out there anyways
                        Exactly. My computer didn't do anything I can't do with my Droid.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Stop using WinBlows.

All computer issues solved.
                          Right...let the Mac Drone Circle Jerk commence!

I use both, neither makes me want to give up the other.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Right...let the Mac Drone Circle Jerk commence!

I use both, neither makes me want to give up the other.
                            I wouldn't know what you're talking about. I use LINUX.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              Hey all,

I recently had a malware infect my computer (it was the kind that tried to get you to "buy" their anti-virus software and would tell you that you were infected. I used a program called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, which removed the malware. Unfortunately it also removed all my .exe programs. So now when I try to open up any program, my computer prompts me to ask what program should it open it with. Very annoying. Any idea how to to fix it? I googled the problem and followed the common solution I saw. This involved downloading a REG file and a ZIP file. It did not work... Any ideas folks?
                              We had that happen on our laptop last year when my wife clicked on a window that popped up, asking her to scan the hard drive for viruses, which is what caused the infection. My sister knows computers and pointed us to Malwarebytes anti-malware program. I downloaded it on another computer onto a thumbdrive, installed it, and it got rid of the thing totally. I don't recall for sure if we could run it off our thumb drive or if it was installed on the infected computer's hard drive. But it was the same kind of thing where they say you have to buy their software or else your computer is almost impossible to use. Hope that helps.
                              Originally posted by Priceless
                              Good to see you're so reasonable.
                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                              Very well, said.
                              Originally posted by Rover
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                              X