Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: computer issues: part infinity

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    What is that HOSTS thing? Is it a file that I download or am I changing directories on my PC... That page has me a bit confused.... Although that is something that is relatively easy to do when talking me and technology
    Your HOSTS file is just a text file that lives in your Windows directory. Basically, it acts as sort of a phone book for your computer. When your computer gets told to load USCHO, for instance, it first tries to look up www.uscho.com in the HOSTS file, and get the website's phone number (called an IP address.) If it finds it there, it goes ahead and calls it, loading the website. (If it doesn't find it, it has other ways, but that's a bunch of gobbledygook for another time.)

What you're doing is downloading and installing a new phone book that has a giant list of malicious websites linked to a intentionally bad number. (It's 127.0.0.1, which is a special number that always leads you back to your own computer.) That way if your computer gets told to go somewhere nasty by a pop-up or hijack or script or something, it simply dials the bad number and loads nothing. Nice little extra layer of protection.

Just follow the instructions on the website. You can't really mess anything up by trying it. Note that there are special instructions if you have Windows Vista or 7 (they're actually easier.)
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Can you open the box / base and remove the drive and then get the sucker out?
      Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
      There should be a little access hole on the faceplate that you can stick a paperclip in to manually open the tray.
      Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
      Unless you have a Mac. Then you're screwed.
      It's an IBM Thinkpad, and I've looked for the hole, but I can't find it.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        It's an IBM Thinkpad, and I've looked for the hole, but I can't find it.
        Not sure what Thinkpad you have Bob, but on mine, it's just to the right of the button to open the drive....
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Can you open the box / base and remove the drive and then get the sucker out?
          Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
          There should be a little access hole on the faceplate that you can stick a paperclip in to manually open the tray.
          Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
          Unless you have a Mac. Then you're screwed.
          Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          Not sure what Thinkpad you have Bob, but on mine, it's just to the right of the button to open the drive....
          Found the hole, and I'm sticking a pin through it, but nothing's happening.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Sorry, couldn't help but laugh a little
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Sorry, couldn't help but laugh a little
              Only a little? That quote is solid gold.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Risking about two pages worth of "That's What She Said" jokes, you need to insert it deep in order for anything to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Risking about two pages worth of "That's What She Said" jokes, you need to insert it deep in order for anything to happen.
                  What if length is not his forte?
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    What if length is not his forte?
                    He will need to depend upon other factors to successfully accomplish the task.

Comment

2.5 year bump.

My Mac was having a huge problem with battery drain, to the point where it was only getting about 2 hours fully charged with the screen turned all the way down to 1 of 16 brightness. It was also getting incredibly hot, to the point where it burned me a couple times (not enough to leave a mark, but enough to make me quickly take my hand off) and the fan would sound like a jet trying to cool it down. I'd been opening up Activity Monitor to specifically close down the Firefox plug-in for flash, which would always have the most ports running and sometimes be running as much memory as Firefox itself. As soon as I closed that down it would quiet and cool down a little bit, but it was getting to the point where even that wouldn't work and it would still be loud.

Decided to install Ad Blocker plus today. Probably an idiot for never doing it before, but that honestly seems to have fixed it. Web pages are running much faster, no heat, no loud fan, and the battery has such a workload taken off it's projected to go another four hours with 68% left at 8 of 16 brightness. It's amazing one little plug in can help a computer so much.

Anyway, that's all. Cool story, bro. No problem now but didn't want to start a separate thread just for this. So, if you haven't, install Ad Blocker.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

You should've got a Mac.

Oh, wait...
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          You should've got a Mac.

Oh, wait...

I, a person who's been accused of being in the stone age, even knows to get ad-blocker (amongst other things) for the ol' computer.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Any recommendations on a modem/router? No idea what to look for. Will have Comcast, 50 mps, I think...
                            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                            Originally posted by Quizmire
                            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Why not just go with their free modem with built in wireless? I think it cost me $5 a month before I moved here.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Why not just go with their free modem with built in wireless? I think it cost me $5 a month before I moved here.
                                If it costs you $5 a month, its not free. So in 2 yrs (normal contract) that free modem cost you $120. You can get a pay one for cheaper than that, and keep it a lot longer.

If they do offer an actual no cost one, then go for it.
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X