Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's Going On Here? (USCHO)

Looks like it's fixed.

Now how about that search? If you can't search in old threads, what purpose is there to keeping so many around?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Maybe USCHO is trying to pad their stats for advertising purposes.
      had the same thought after I hit submit!!!
      I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
        Looks like it's fixed.

Now how about that search? If you can't search in old threads, what purpose is there to keeping so many around?
        However it still says
        Most users ever online was 11,041, Today at 12:20 PM.
        when it should say
        Most users ever online was 1,312, 03-10-2007 at 09:32 PM.
        (Those are eastern time.)

There won't be any use for me to start a new version of http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=88231 in 2011.

Search is truly weird now. If I search for all posts by a given user, I only get those since the "upgrade," however if I search for all of the threads that the poster started, I also get the older ones. Hard to understand.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Search is truly weird now. If I search for all posts by a given user, I only get those since the "upgrade," however if I search for all of the threads that the poster started, I also get the older ones. Hard to understand.
          Same here. Makes it seem like a programming issue - the database of older threads is clearly still there, they just need to fix the search.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            Same here. Makes it seem like a programming issue - the database of older threads is clearly still there, they just need to fix the search.
            They still had search problems before the upgrade that they couldn't fix, and I thought someone had said it was volume-related then. There is no way USCHO needs to save all the threads it has available right now. If nobody posts in a thread in a year, delete it. People will live. I'm assuming the new search problems are upgrade-related, but maybe it's still volume-related.

Comment

They still had search problems before the upgrade that they couldn't fix, and I thought someone had said it was volume-related then. There is no way USCHO needs to save all the threads it has available right now. If nobody posts in a thread in a year, delete it. People will live. I'm assuming the new search problems are upgrade-related, but maybe it's still volume-related.
              The search didn't quite work right before the upgrade; I wound up using Google and searching for my keywords narrowing it down to all sites from board.uscho.com.

As for old threads, I'm sure I'm one of the few who actually has gone back to find references made in years past. And I certainly have enjoyed some of the old threads. There's a LOT of history still saved on USCHO that needs to be archived somehow. Just deleting it would be like burning down your local museum because "it's filled with old sh** that no one needs today."
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                The search didn't quite work right before the upgrade; I wound up using Google and searching for my keywords narrowing it down to all sites from board.uscho.com.

As for old threads, I'm sure I'm one of the few who actually has gone back to find references made in years past. And I certainly have enjoyed some of the old threads. There's a LOT of history still saved on USCHO that needs to be archived somehow. Just deleting it would be like burning down your local museum because "it's filled with old sh** that no one needs today."
                except if you can't get to the museum because of all the old sh** in the way, what good is it anyway?

Comment

except if you can't get to the museum because of all the old sh** in the way, what good is it anyway?

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Another "feature" of search is the "search thread" link within any thread. If you search a thread for a given word, the posts that contain that word appear to come back now in a random order. I have been posting in the RPI Recruit thread info about each of RPI's recruit's games, e.g. box scores. I have used the "search thread" to find the post about a recruit's previous game, so that I can use it for the subsequent game. Now I can't do that and have to resort to paging through the thread. Sometimes, the previous game is several pages back.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                    X