Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 MLB Playoffs

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    It's forecasted to be WNW, not sure how that relates to the layout of the park.
    As I understand it, pretty much every prevailing wind direction except down favors hitters.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

The Sox are better this year than they were last year. The problem is, so are the Angels and the Be Pinstriped Ones. They almost pulled off a miracle last year, but I have an odd feeling that the champ will come from the NL again.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
      -Blackadder
      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
      -Casablanca
      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

What makes the MLB playoffs hard to call (and fun) is that momentum counts for squat. Otherwise, it would have been the Rockies sweeping the Red Sox in 4 a couple years back.

The Sox have been screwing around for a couple weeks, now. And it won't matter at all if Lester throws a gem and playoff Beckett makes an appearance.

I think Boston's best shot is if Anaheim reverts to their old aggressive ways. If they stay patient and limit Boston's starters to 5-6 innings, there's a soft underbelly to that Boston bullpen.
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          The Sox are better this year than they were last year. The problem is, so are the Angels and the Be Pinstriped Ones. They almost pulled off a miracle last year, but I have an odd feeling that the champ will come from the NL again.
          I think the AL's only legitimate shot comes from the Twinkies/Yankees series, either the Twins ride the wave similar to Colorado of 2 years ago or the Yankees do as is expected of them. Boston and LAA both kind of limped into the playoffs, and that could be 5 games of Twins/Tigers failings.

The NL has 4 pretty **** good teams, however LAD limped into the playoffs big time, and Colorado is missing De La Rosa for the NLDS, not even counting they have to play Philly.

This could be a pretty interesting playoffs, but when is that not the norm?

Comment

I still think we're looking at Cards/Phillies in the NL and Yankees/Red Sox in the AL, with the Series champion coming from the AL this year.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

In the first round, Phillies sweep, Cards and Twins in 4 and Red Sox in 5.

I like the Red Sox to beat the Twins and the Phillies to beat the Cardinals. I think the Phillies repeat in a close series.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

So the Rockies/Phillies game is apparently going to finish in just 2 hours.

Well if someone scores a run that is.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I could see the Twins winning tonight on sheer adrenaline, but beyond that, they simply aren't nearly as good as New York.
                  I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Twins won't win in 4 by stranding runners at 3rd with less than 2 out.

Comment

Had Cabrera bunted Span to 3rd, it would be 1-0 Twins.

On the road Gardy should of been trying anything he could to get that run first.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                        Which is like saying K2 is a drop off from Everest.

Here's all you need to know about Yanks/Twins (H/T NoMaas)

Hitting

OPS+: Yanks 117, Twins 109
                        OPS: Yanks .839, Twins .773
                        Runs/Game: Yanks 5.65, Twins 5.01

Pitching

ERA+: Yanks 104, Twins 92
                        FIP: Yanks 4.32, Twins 4.38
                        K/9: Yanks 7.82, Twins 6.52
                        BB/9: Yanks 3.56,Twins 2.87
                        HR/9: Yanks 1.12, Twins 1.14

Fielding

UZR/150: Yanks -4.8, Twins -6.0

Baserunning

SB: Yanks, 111/139 SB - 80%, Twins 85/117 SB - 73%

Head to Head
                        Yankees 7, Twins 0

Key personnel missing since last meeting
                        Twins: Justin Morneau
                        Yankees: nil
                        What the heck is UZR?

Go Sox!
                        PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
                          What the heck is UZR?
                          It's a fielding metric. Like Jason Varitek's UZR should be -6549546514687

It's also a not-very-trustworthy statistic, like all fielding sabermetrics.
                          R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                            It's a fielding metric. Like Jason Varitek's UZR should be -6549546514687

It's also a not-very-trustworthy statistic, like all fielding sabermetrics.
                            But it's better than fielding percentage, errors and other traditional defensive metrics.

And yeah. Jason Varitek sucks. I could steal on him. I run like I have a piano strapped to my back. A 9 foot grand.
                            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

What a finish. Cards are one out from taking the split, and Holliday commits a 2-base error on a fairly routine fly. Blake takes the count to 3-2, 2 outs, bottom of 9th, tie run on 2nd, draws a walk.

Next batter gets the single, and the Dodgers are playing for the win...

Comment

Matt Holliday: Epic Fail.
                                Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Working...
                                X