2009 MLB Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 MLB Playoffs

Can we combine it all, or will it be too disjointed? I'm not zoned into the season as much as in years past, so I'd like to hear what the fans of the other AL/NL DS are saying without clicking on 4 different threads.....

First, congrats to the Twins on grinding out a long comeback. I hope you can make some noise against the Yankees? Do Twins fans think they can - nope, I mean will win a game?

And I really don't know what to expect from my Sox. What's the rotation gonna be? It's been such a yo-yo season, I don't know how to guage them. And I don't know enough about Anaheim to stack them up against the Sox, either.

Like I said, I'm not very zoned into this season - I don't even know what the NL matchups are. I just hope the Phillies make it back to the Fall Classic, they gotta be the favorites, right?
    PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Re: 2009 MLB Playoffs

I think the Phillies have to be the NL favorites because of their playoff pitching. Hamels and Lee is the most formidable duo in the playoffs. Yankees have better depth of course.
    Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Can the Twins win a game? Sure.

Will they? I have my doubts, but then again I've had my doubts for the last 3 weeks or so, so who knows.

It should at least be interesting. The Twins were in some of the games in NY early in the season only to pee down their leg at the end.
      04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
      USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
      I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
      Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
      I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Lee is probably the best pitcher in the playoffs right now. He's been pretty much unstoppable since the trade. A little ugh stretch, but it was short, and Parise help ANYONE if he's "on."

The Twins might MIGHT MIGHT maybe hopefully win A game. If things bounce right, the planets align, etc etc etc. I guarantee it won't be Game 1 (cue Dr Obvious there).

Overall, if Boston gets their swagger back, they might make some noise. LAA is scary, but I think they might be more unpredictable than Boston, in the short term.

The Rockies are in the same boat as LAA, from what I've seen the past couple weeks.

LAD? "Slumping" for lack of a better term, considering their record in the past few months compared to how they started the first half of the season. If they can revert to the latter, I'd say book a WS trip right now.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Don't count out Duensing. Maybe he could surprise everyone.

Sure the Twins are tired, but maybe just maybe they'll go on a tear.
          Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
            Don't count out Duensing. Maybe he could surprise everyone.

Sure the Twins are tired, but maybe just maybe they'll go on a tear.
            Well, I'm a big believer in emotion in a game, and despite the high the Twins have, that is a drain on that next game. Add to that the short wait before the start of the next round.......trouble.

Best thing that could happen is a rainout (which is VERY possible from what I hear). I think the Twins best asset, which might look like a weakness, is that they probably have 2-3 legit starters and not 5. The rest are very good long-term innings-eaters.

I think that could work to their advantage, given the structure/strategery of the MLB playoffs.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
              I think the Phillies have to be the NL favorites because of their playoff pitching. Hamels and Lee is the most formidable duo in the playoffs. Yankees have better depth of course.
              STL has as good of a one/two punch and the Yankees starting pitching drops off past Sabathia. That shouldn't matter too much against the Twins given the Yankees offense.

One thing that gives me hope against the Yanks is that 4 of the regular season losses were 1 run games and I think at least two were walk off losses, meaning they were at least in some of the games.

Comment

A Philadelphia fan's assessment:

The Phillies have no real closer and the rest of the bullpen is a mess. The starting pitchers have been pretty bad in the last few weeks, too. Pedro can't seem to go more than 3 innings before coming up hurt. Maybe that's why Manuel moved Happ and Blanton to the pen?

Batting-wise, Howard is the only one who's been hitting consistently. Rollins and Utley are both in a funk. Ibanez and likely Ruiz are hurt. Werth is burned out.

I don't have high hopes (Sorry, Harry).

That said: Go Fightins!
                Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

The Twins and Yankees are completely different teams then the ones that met in May. So I don't think you can take too much stock in those games.

Obviously the Yankees have all the names on offense and in their pitching staff. But the Twins have that intangible "find a way" thing going for them.

My brain tells me this is a 3-1 series win for the Yankees. But you can't dismiss this series as a Yankees win until they actually do it. Too much has happened to take the Twins that lightly. Also, the Twins know a lot about C.C. So that may help them a bit in game 1.

Separately, I think making the playoffs has sealed Mauer's MVP win. Now there isn't anything the voters can point to as a negative for him.
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Best thing that could happen is a rainout (which is VERY possible from what I hear). I think the Twins best asset, which might look like a weakness, is that they probably have 2-3 legit starters and not 5. The rest are very good long-term innings-eaters.
                    Sorry to break it to ya, but it's currently clearing in the Bronx, and theres going to be a good wind to dry things up. Supposed to be clear, 50ish and windy tonight (20-30, gusts to 40).

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      the Yankees starting pitching drops off past Sabathia.
                      Which is like saying K2 is a drop off from Everest.

Here's all you need to know about Yanks/Twins (H/T NoMaas)

Hitting

OPS+: Yanks 117, Twins 109
                      OPS: Yanks .839, Twins .773
                      Runs/Game: Yanks 5.65, Twins 5.01

Pitching

ERA+: Yanks 104, Twins 92
                      FIP: Yanks 4.32, Twins 4.38
                      K/9: Yanks 7.82, Twins 6.52
                      BB/9: Yanks 3.56,Twins 2.87
                      HR/9: Yanks 1.12, Twins 1.14

Fielding

UZR/150: Yanks -4.8, Twins -6.0

Baserunning

SB: Yanks, 111/139 SB - 80%, Twins 85/117 SB - 73%

Head to Head
                      Yankees 7, Twins 0

Key personnel missing since last meeting
                      Twins: Justin Morneau
                      Yankees: nil
                      Last edited by Red Cloud; 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Which will come first today: The Twins getting 27 outs or the Yankees getting 27 runs?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                          Which will come first today: The Twins getting 27 outs or the Yankees getting 27 runs?
                          The former. Reverse woofing on purpose doesn't work too often, and you already spent yours getting into the playoffs.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                            The former. Reverse woofing on purpose doesn't work too often, and you already spent yours getting into the playoffs.
                            Ok, 27 runs might be a slight exaggeration but MN has a rookie starter going today, we never know if the bullpen will come out smoking or be out smoking and was rode hard and put away wet, and they entire team will be emotionally spent. My hopes are not high for tonight.

EDIT: So it sounds like it will be windy at the Stadium, any idea if it will be blowing in, out, across?
                            Last edited by Greyeagle; 10-07-2009, 08:58 AM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                              EDIT: So it sounds like it will be windy at the Stadium, any idea if it will be blowing in, out, across?
                              It's forecasted to be WNW, not sure how that relates to the layout of the park.

Comment

Working...
                              X