Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football III: We may lose, but we keep the score close!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football III: We may lose, but we keep the score close!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    IINM he gifts a lot of it right back to the university, too.
    I just got back from Penn State. I can confirm this. Paterno library was funded entirely by direct contributions from JoePa and fundraising that he led. A lot of the undergraduate honors stuff (e.g. Paterno fellows) is funded by him as well. As one of my colleagues told me: in central PA, you don't joke about hunting, and you don't joke about Joe Paterno.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
      Graduation rates don't really mean much by themselves, as they're not a completely solid measure of academic success factors.

Boise is composed of more than 1/3 part-time students, and more than 1/3 of students are also older than 25. Those are not numbers that say "these people will graduate in six years"; those are numbers that say "trying to get a degree at night while working full time days". No matter how Boise can try, they won't have a six year graduation rate much above 2/3 of their student population; demographics will make that virtually impossible.

Graduation rates are also impacted by monetary concerns. If a person drops out with a 4.0 because they can't pay tuition this year, it gets counted exactly the same in graduation rates as the person who gets academically dismissed.

Basically, what those grad rate numbers say to me is "Boise State is a university with a very transitory student population, made up primarily of students within 100 miles of Boise, and admits a large number of non-traditional learners as well as a large number of students who attend cheaper universities to save money, and who may not be able to afford their full terms."
      Be careful, you might make alfa's head asplode.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Graduation rates don't really mean much by themselves, as they're not a completely solid measure of academic success factors.

Boise is composed of more than 1/3 part-time students, and more than 1/3 of students are also older than 25. Those are not numbers that say "these people will graduate in six years"; those are numbers that say "trying to get a degree at night while working full time days". No matter how Boise can try, they won't have a six year graduation rate much above 2/3 of their student population; demographics will make that virtually impossible.

Graduation rates are also impacted by monetary concerns. If a person drops out with a 4.0 because they can't pay tuition this year, it gets counted exactly the same in graduation rates as the person who gets academically dismissed.

Basically, what those grad rate numbers say to me is "Boise State is a university with a very transitory student population, made up primarily of students within 100 miles of Boise, and admits a large number of non-traditional learners as well as a large number of students who attend cheaper universities to save money, and who may not be able to afford their full terms."
        You basically made his "BCC" joke for him. It's full of part time students that take night classes. That sounds like a community college out in the middle of nowhere.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

If it's main goal is to be a community college, so be it. They claim to be a normal 4 year university.

You pretend to think that I don't know anything about BCC- I do- I know quite a few students who started at BSU and finished at Idaho- again, BSU being the community college role. Also, the 26% number is overall graduation rate. Lots of people start at BSU and go to PacNW schools. Should't BSU be a destination school, and not a community college?

As a former tax payer of Idaho, I REALLY WOULD like to see BSU transform into a real university. But this is far from a new issue- it's been this way since I went to Idaho 25 years ago. In that time, they claimed to make some progress in schools, but really convinced Idaho into spending some rather questionable money in Boise. All that time, Idaho has been working on expanding research and increasing their reach- which some has worked some has not- I personally want Idaho to do better, too. But for BSU to pretend to be such a great school, mainly based on it's football team, and the school president paying more attention to the football team over the rest of the school- and this being a State school in my former home state- they should be better than that.

Funny how bigblue thinks I take such great offence, and that ever time someone makes "sense"- there's no real reply.

Here- answer me this- of the +100 schools playing D1 football, how many of them are not part of the national education rankings, and fall in to a regional category? How many of them are really community colleges in disguise? This isn't as if UM-Dearborn is fielding a national level sports program. I suppose some of the new directional Florida schools will be part of that list- but I keep seeing that the school is at least attempting to become more a university than a stepping stone to Miami, FSU, or Florida.

I guess so many of you think that the College Football can drop the college part.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
            You basically made his "BCC" joke for him. It's full of part time students that take night classes. That sounds like a community college out in the middle of nowhere.
            Well, its not like the Ivies started out graduating rocket scientist when they first got started. Hell, it even took them a while to warm up to that pesky theory of evolution. ;-)
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              Nowhere being the largest city in Idaho. Not that it says much.

But on my "pro" BSU stance, it sure shows that there has been potential to be a real university with leading edge schools for decades. State Hospital school, computers (with Micron and HP in town), wind energy (Magic Valley gets tons of wind), wine (as a off shoot of ag). There are plenty of things they can do that do not interfere with Idaho or ISU, and can stake a claim. They choose to have a football team.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Nowhere being the largest city in Idaho. Not that it says much.

But on my "pro" BSU stance, it sure shows that there has been potential to be a real university with leading edge schools for decades. State Hospital school, computers (with Micron and HP in town), wind energy (Magic Valley gets tons of wind), wine (as a off shoot of ag). There are plenty of things they can do that do not interfere with Idaho or ISU, and can stake a claim. They choose to have a football team.
                So, they're an SEC school in the Northwest?
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                  So, they're an SEC school in the Northwest?
                  No. I have been to Idaho and the girls are nowhere near as cute as the south. A lot smarter, too (as if that needed to be said).

In any case, not the SEC.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 12-08-2010, 07:16 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                    Well, its not like the Ivies started out graduating rocket scientist when they first got started. Hell, it even took them a while to warm up to that pesky theory of evolution. ;-)
                    Ahem. We had women in our first graduation class, so let's not paint all 8 with the same Upper Class Twit of the Year brush.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Ahem. We had women in our first graduation class, so let's not paint all 8 with the same Upper Class Twit of the Year brush.
                      did those women believe in creationism or not?
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Yeah, so?
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                        X