Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Twins Offseason 2010-11: Well, at least we have the outdoor stadium...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handyman
    replied
    Re: Minnesota Twins Offseason 2010-11: Well, at least we have the outdoor stadium...

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    No, it's not. It's buying the right players AND having a manager competent enough to get them to play with each other.

The twins have the latter. THe other teams the former. And for the record, I never said it was purely about payroll. And it's not entirely exclusive of payroll either like some seem to make it out to be. It's both.
    So we dont have the right players? We didnt back in 06 when we had the MVP, the Cy Young Award Winner and the batting champ? Come on that is ridiculous that team didnt even get beat by the Yanks they got swept by Oakland.

Face it, this team and this manager dont have the intestinal fortitude to handle the pressure when the chips are down. Gardy is to baseball what Marty Shottenheimer or Denny Green was to football...good enough to win before the games have real meaning.

BTW take a gander at Texas' payroll and tell me money matters...just saying. ($55 million)

Leave a comment:

• Bakunin
    replied
    Re: Minnesota Twins Offseason 2010-11: Well, at least we have the outdoor stadium...

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    And we're blaming the pitching?
    While the team failed miserably at clutch hitting, it doesn't change the fact that the pitching staff gave up 5-6 runs per game.

FWIW, MN got two hits with RISP (one hit was a single with a guy on 2nd that did not score a run) last night.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Ok, what do you propose they do about it?
    I'm not sure there is anything you can do. You don't blow up a team that wins it's division almost every year.

It is what it is.

But, don't blame the manager or the pitching or even the front office when the entire lineup can't hit in the playoffs. Maybe they need a psychologist on staff?
    Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 10-10-2010, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

You have theoretically the best hitter in baseball on the team, Thome, Kubel, Hudson, and Delmon Young after a FANTASTIC year at the plate.

And they go 0-13 with Runners in Scoring Position against the Yankees in the playoffs.

These guys can't handle the pressure. Plain and simple.
    Ok, what do you propose they do about it?

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

No, it's not. It's buying the right players AND having a manager competent enough to get them to play with each other.

The twins have the latter. THe other teams the former. And for the record, I never said it was purely about payroll. And it's not entirely exclusive of payroll either like some seem to make it out to be. It's both.
    You have theoretically the best hitter in baseball on the team, Thome, Kubel, Hudson, and Delmon Young after a FANTASTIC year at the plate.

And they go 0-13 with Runners in Scoring Position against the Yankees in the playoffs.

These guys can't handle the pressure. Plain and simple.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    You know there are teams like the Cubs, Tigers, White Sox and Mets that totally defeat your money argument. Winning is not purely about your payroll.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

BS. Money is the problem. Are you telling me that a team that spends $220 million is on equal footing with a team that spends $80 million?

There are three things that are important for a player when deciding on a team to play for: Money, money, and money. Without money, you don't get the players.

Tampa Bay is also goiong to lose some of these players to FA when they get what they're actually worth. Just like the Dodgers this year. THey had to dump payroll because resigning a guy like matt kemp isn't going to happen for the same price they are paying him now.
    You know there are teams like the Cubs, Tigers, White Sox and Mets that totally defeat your money argument. Winning is not purely about your payroll.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Tampa Bay made the WS with a payroll around $40 million, they won the East this year with a payroll of around $70 million. Money isnt the problem, coaching and players are the problem.
    BS. Money is the problem. Are you telling me that a team that spends $220 million is on equal footing with a team that spends $80 million?

There are three things that are important for a player when deciding on a team to play for: Money, money, and money. Without money, you don't get the players.

Tampa Bay is also goiong to lose some of these players to FA when they get what they're actually worth. Just like the Dodgers this year. THey had to dump payroll because resigning a guy like matt kemp isn't going to happen for the same price they are paying him now.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

If $96 million is worth an ALCS, then what is $220 million worth? What about $160 million? $140 million?
    Tampa Bay made the WS with a payroll around $40 million, they won the East this year with a payroll of around $70 million. Money isnt the problem, coaching and players are the problem.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
    But according to Dick Bremer last night, the Twins were the far superior team in that series.

Also, it was hilarious watching Bremer treat Justin Morneau's projected RBI total like the cost of Gob Bluth's suit. By the end of the night, Morneau was on pace to hit about 180 RBIs this season. I bet Mauer wishes he had shut it down for the season when he had that little injury at the end of the year, rather than having to eat all the **** for his team choking again.
    It was a good matchup for us, I thought then. Santana v Zito in game one. Morneau hit a HR in 2 of the 3 games. We lost 3-2, 5-2, 8-3 with home field advantage. Really other then Radke in game 3 we had solid starting pitching that series.

Although we did commit 3 errors in game 3.

Leave a comment:

• gmann
    replied

Dear Twins,

Thank you for a spectacular season and a not so much thank you for a shiatacular post season.

At least the Vikings and/or Wild and/or Timberwolves and or Gopher football teams won't let me down.

Leave a comment:

• MaizeRage
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Oakland swept us also during this losing streak. Kind of convenient to forget that.
    But according to Dick Bremer last night, the Twins were the far superior team in that series.

Also, it was hilarious watching Bremer treat Justin Morneau's projected RBI total like the cost of Gob Bluth's suit. By the end of the night, Morneau was on pace to hit about 180 RBIs this season. I bet Mauer wishes he had shut it down for the season when he had that little injury at the end of the year, rather than having to eat all the **** for his team choking again.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyredshoes
    replied

Before I turned the game off the stat they had up was 0-13 at the plate with runners in scoring position.

So very true. Clutch hitting. If the Twins aren't playing the White Sox, Tigers, Royals, or Indians, they don't have it.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Before I turned the game off the stat they had up was 0-13 at the plate with runners in scoring position.

Leave a comment:

• thebrain
    replied

This team does not like to pay for pitching but has no problem paying Morneau and Mauer $15+ million.

Pavano's an older free agent who's going to command some money too. How much is it going to take to resign Thome? Are Nathan and Morneau going to come back and be productive? Why is Nick Punto still around making $4 million. Why is Delmon Young still in the field?

Paul Konerko will be a free agent and I think Prince Fielder will be too.

I kept hearing Twins officials say this year's team was built to go deep in the playoffs. I'm really sick of this, it's getting old. It was fun eight years ago, now I wonder why they bother trying to win the Central if their season is only going to be extended three games.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X