Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Twins Offseason 2010-11: Well, at least we have the outdoor stadium...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dude Love
    replied
    Re: Minnesota Twins Offseason 2010-11: Well, at least we have the outdoor stadium...

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Also here is the potential free agent list for 2011.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...-for-2011.html
    Yuck.

Leave a comment:

• ajoyce02
    replied
    Re: Minnesota Twins Offseason 2010-11: Well, at least we have the outdoor stadium...

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Gant's momentum carried him off the bag.

That is all.
    QFT

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Jebus crispus you're an angry mofo. I'm sure Bremer is the only homer dope in all of announcing, right?
    Hawk, Darling, and the entire Yankee staff retired?

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Gant's momentum carried him off the bag.

That is all.

Leave a comment:

• DaveStPaul
    replied

Well, if we're going to play armchair psychologist, how about if the problem is Minnesota is the kind of place where certain people can feel free to do their jobs without fear of firing, being booed, etc. And that leads to teams that pretty much get along, and do pretty well. But to get to the really highest level of play, you need something more than that, and something not so nice.

The two examples that jump to mind are 1) Pavano -- I think a big reason why he's done well here is that the fans -- and the players, I'd have to think -- let him do his job, and don't throw him under the bus after one or two shaky appearances, and 2) Kent Hrbek -- I've always hated Kent Hrbek, and it all stems from pulling Ron Gant off the bag and then playing like the little ***** kid we all knew growing up who doesn't know what you're talking about. That's a d!ck move to me. But I have to admit, he knew how to win when it mattered.

I know those aren't great examples -- Pavano's pitched great in the playoffs for us. But I agree with Handyman (unless I'm misreading you) -- I don't think you can have both. So I don't know if there is a solution. It seems like most teams are either Kansas City/Seattle/Pittsburgh (almost always sucking though probably a nice place to see a game) or Mets/Phillies/Dodgers (almost always spending buckets and buckets and still having nasty and grumpy fans). And we've got this tenuous in-between. I dunno. I'm keeping my season tickets. I'm a masochist, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
    But according to Dick Bremer last night, the Twins were the far superior team in that series.

Also, it was hilarious watching Bremer treat Justin Morneau's projected RBI total like the cost of Gob Bluth's suit. By the end of the night, Morneau was on pace to hit about 180 RBIs this season. I bet Mauer wishes he had shut it down for the season when he had that little injury at the end of the year, rather than having to eat all the **** for his team choking again.
    Jebus crispus you're an angry mofo. I'm sure Bremer is the only homer dope in all of announcing, right?

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I dunno, since I wouldnt do it now technically I wouldnt have to think about that until next year

I can tell you it wouldnt be someone that is a "players coach" I want someone to light a fire under these guys butts. Who that is, honestly I am not sure but I if I had the resources of a GM I probably would

Also, to be fair if he didnt put up a fight with the firing of his friends Liddle and Ulger I probably would be more lenient.

edit: I would sign Pavano and Thome, let Guerrier go most likely and have to think about O-Hud and Crain. (see what they want) Buyout Kubel and let him go bye bye.
    Buy out Kubel, and try to resign for cheap.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Also here is the potential free agent list for 2011.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...-for-2011.html

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

I dunno, since I wouldnt do it now technically I wouldnt have to think about that until next year

I can tell you it wouldnt be someone that is a "players coach" I want someone to light a fire under these guys butts. Who that is, honestly I am not sure but I if I had the resources of a GM I probably would

Also, to be fair if he didnt put up a fight with the firing of his friends Liddle and Ulger I probably would be more lenient.

edit: I would sign Pavano and Thome, let Guerrier go most likely and have to think about O-Hud and Crain. (see what they want) Buyout Kubel and let him go bye bye.
    Last edited by Handyman; 10-10-2010, 08:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

According to articles earlier in the year (May). Things could of changed since then as far as re-signings during the season.

Free Agents: Carl Pavano, Orlando Hudson, Matt Guerrier, Jesse Crain, Jim Thome.
    Arbitration: Slowey, Casilla, Young, Liriano, Neshek, Condrey, Hardy.

- Jason Kubel has a club option year ($5.25m) or a small buyout ($350k).
    - Nick Punto has a club option year ($5m) or a small buyout ($500k).

Pay increases coming to Cuddyer, Blackburn and Baker.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

You imply that you would get rid of gardy, who do you replace him with?

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

What dodge, I admitted there was nothing we can do. The team is just good enough that nothing can be done without risking all of it. So here we are. Yeah dodge indeed

Personally, I would jettison half the pitching staff, bring in a new bench coach and third base coach, trade Kubel, not sign Punto and see where go from there. (I would have to look at contracts and so on to decide more) Doing all that would cause riots though and you know it.

I would also tell Gardy that it is now time to start winning the games that matter most. The fact that Ozzie has a WS title and we dont is a big problem.

I am not a GM though, or an owner I am just sick of the crutch people use to excuse the Twins when other "cheap" teams do better than them.
    Last edited by Handyman; 10-10-2010, 08:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

There is nothing we can do, we are stuck where we are because the fans would go apecrap if they took a chance.

And I didnt completely dismiss it, I just think it is a crutch people who are satisfied with the teams performance use as an excuse for the team to go nowhere. The team makes plenty of money and spends plenty of money, they spend it on the wrong people but since they win division titles (yawn) they must be pretty good.

Plenty of non-Yankee teams seem to do just fine, it is only the Twins that pee down their leg year in and year out. 1 ALCS appearance in 6 playoff runs is a joke, and in any other town people would be ticked off. (except Atlanta where they dont care about sports especially the Braves) But since the Twins sucked for a decade before this people turn a blind eye. They are just happy they get to watch the games and cheer for Baby Jesus.
    nice dodge

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

There is nothing we can do, we are stuck where we are because the fans would go apecrap if they took a chance.

And I didnt completely dismiss it, I just think it is a crutch people who are satisfied with the teams performance use as an excuse for the team to go nowhere. The team makes plenty of money and spends plenty of money, they spend it on the wrong people but since they win division titles (yawn) they must be pretty good.

Plenty of non-Yankee teams seem to do just fine, it is only the Twins that pee down their leg year in and year out. 1 ALCS appearance in 6 playoff runs is a joke, and in any other town people would be ticked off. (except Atlanta where they dont care about sports especially the Braves) But since the Twins sucked for a decade before this people turn a blind eye. They are just happy they get to watch the games and cheer for Baby Jesus.

Whatever...I am over this

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

So we dont have the right players? We didnt back in 06 when we had the MVP, the Cy Young Award Winner and the batting champ? Come on that is ridiculous that team didnt even get beat by the Yanks they got swept by Oakland.

Face it, this team and this manager dont have the intestinal fortitude to handle the pressure when the chips are down. Gardy is to baseball what Marty Shottenheimer or Denny Green was to football...good enough to win before the games have real meaning.

BTW take a gander at Texas' payroll and tell me money matters...just saying. ($55 million)
    You're complete dismissal of payroll is ridiculous at best

What do you propose we do to fix the team?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X