Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Twins Offseason 2010-11: Well, at least we have the outdoor stadium...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Twins Offseason 2010-11: Well, at least we have the outdoor stadium...

According to articles earlier in the year (May). Things could of changed since then as far as re-signings during the season.

Free Agents: Carl Pavano, Orlando Hudson, Matt Guerrier, Jesse Crain, Jim Thome.
    Arbitration: Slowey, Casilla, Young, Liriano, Neshek, Condrey, Hardy.

- Jason Kubel has a club option year ($5.25m) or a small buyout ($350k).
    - Nick Punto has a club option year ($5m) or a small buyout ($500k).

Pay increases coming to Cuddyer, Blackburn and Baker.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Re: Minnesota Twins Offseason 2010-11: Well, at least we have the outdoor stadium...

I dunno, since I wouldnt do it now technically I wouldnt have to think about that until next year

I can tell you it wouldnt be someone that is a "players coach" I want someone to light a fire under these guys butts. Who that is, honestly I am not sure but I if I had the resources of a GM I probably would

Also, to be fair if he didnt put up a fight with the firing of his friends Liddle and Ulger I probably would be more lenient.

edit: I would sign Pavano and Thome, let Guerrier go most likely and have to think about O-Hud and Crain. (see what they want) Buyout Kubel and let him go bye bye.
      Last edited by Handyman; 10-10-2010, 08:38 PM.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Also here is the potential free agent list for 2011.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...-for-2011.html
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          I dunno, since I wouldnt do it now technically I wouldnt have to think about that until next year

I can tell you it wouldnt be someone that is a "players coach" I want someone to light a fire under these guys butts. Who that is, honestly I am not sure but I if I had the resources of a GM I probably would

Also, to be fair if he didnt put up a fight with the firing of his friends Liddle and Ulger I probably would be more lenient.

edit: I would sign Pavano and Thome, let Guerrier go most likely and have to think about O-Hud and Crain. (see what they want) Buyout Kubel and let him go bye bye.
          Buy out Kubel, and try to resign for cheap.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            But according to Dick Bremer last night, the Twins were the far superior team in that series.

Also, it was hilarious watching Bremer treat Justin Morneau's projected RBI total like the cost of Gob Bluth's suit. By the end of the night, Morneau was on pace to hit about 180 RBIs this season. I bet Mauer wishes he had shut it down for the season when he had that little injury at the end of the year, rather than having to eat all the **** for his team choking again.
            Jebus crispus you're an angry mofo. I'm sure Bremer is the only homer dope in all of announcing, right?

Comment

Well, if we're going to play armchair psychologist, how about if the problem is Minnesota is the kind of place where certain people can feel free to do their jobs without fear of firing, being booed, etc. And that leads to teams that pretty much get along, and do pretty well. But to get to the really highest level of play, you need something more than that, and something not so nice.

The two examples that jump to mind are 1) Pavano -- I think a big reason why he's done well here is that the fans -- and the players, I'd have to think -- let him do his job, and don't throw him under the bus after one or two shaky appearances, and 2) Kent Hrbek -- I've always hated Kent Hrbek, and it all stems from pulling Ron Gant off the bag and then playing like the little ***** kid we all knew growing up who doesn't know what you're talking about. That's a d!ck move to me. But I have to admit, he knew how to win when it mattered.

I know those aren't great examples -- Pavano's pitched great in the playoffs for us. But I agree with Handyman (unless I'm misreading you) -- I don't think you can have both. So I don't know if there is a solution. It seems like most teams are either Kansas City/Seattle/Pittsburgh (almost always sucking though probably a nice place to see a game) or Mets/Phillies/Dodgers (almost always spending buckets and buckets and still having nasty and grumpy fans). And we've got this tenuous in-between. I dunno. I'm keeping my season tickets. I'm a masochist, I guess.
              Bugs Bunny - 96
              Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Gant's momentum carried him off the bag.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Jebus crispus you're an angry mofo. I'm sure Bremer is the only homer dope in all of announcing, right?
                  Hawk, Darling, and the entire Yankee staff retired?
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Gant's momentum carried him off the bag.

That is all.
                    QFT
                    04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
                    USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
                    I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
                    Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
                    I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      Also here is the potential free agent list for 2011.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...-for-2011.html
                      Yuck.
                      St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Certainly not the only, but definitely one of the biggest. Besides, "Other people say stupid ****" isn't much of a defense for someone saying "Every professional sports team could learn from the Twins" because their wives made a quilt.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Buy out Kubel, and try to resign for cheap.
                        Not saying they should or shouldn't resign him, but you're crazy if you think signing a 90 RBI guy--Kubel or otherwise-- for less than $5.5 million is even a possibility, especially with this free agent market. They tried the same thing two years ago with Nick Punto, and ended up having to way overpay(way, way, way overpay) just to get him back.

Not to mention that I can't imagine power hitters lining up for the opportunity to play at Target Field.
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                          While the team failed miserably at clutch hitting, it doesn't change the fact that the pitching staff gave up 5-6 runs per game.

FWIW, MN got two hits with RISP (one hit was a single with a guy on 2nd that did not score a run) last night.
                          They were 0-13 when I shut the TV off according to TBS. I saw a stat later that said 2-18 for the series.

This team wasn't designed to be a pitching powerhouse. It was designed to score runs. Even giving up 5-6 runs per game they should have won at least one of them this lineup.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                            Yuck.
                            Really?

There is some talent on that list that if the Twin's management is serious about truly contending for a championship, they better at least be making some sort of effort to sign.

Take a guy like Carl Crawford. He'll be expensive, but he'd be a terrific addition to the Twins outfield.

The Twins could use a true ace at the head of their starting staff, and one or two professional hitters who are tough outs at the crucial times of the game.

The Twins should put all their money in a bucket and go try to sign Cliff Lee. They need to look at a hitter like Matsui of the Angels for a one year rental deal.

There is a lot of talent on that list that could go a long way towards making the Twins a much better team next year.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              They were 0-13 when I shut the TV off according to TBS. I saw a stat later that said 2-18 for the series.

This team wasn't designed to be a pitching powerhouse. It was designed to score runs. Even giving up 5-6 runs per game they should have won at least one of them this lineup.
                              Considering you're never going to be able to match the Yankees' lineup 1 through 9, it's not surprising that you're being curbstomped by them regularly if that's your plan. Teams have had success because their younger, cheaper pitching outdoes the Yankees' older pitching. When Detroit beat New York in 2006, they held the Yankees scoreless for 20 straight innings of games 2 to 4.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                                Considering you're never going to be able to match the Yankees' lineup 1 through 9, it's not surprising that you're being curbstomped by them regularly if that's your plan. Teams have had success because their younger, cheaper pitching outdoes the Yankees' older pitching. When Detroit beat New York in 2006, they held the Yankees scoreless for 20 straight innings of games 2 to 4.
                                That's fine. But you still have to score to win. And you have to score hitting the baseball.

If you want to go the unearned run route you need the kind of pitching the Phillies have.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X