Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 Milwaukee Brewers Offseason - Prince or no Prince?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Milwaukee Brewers Offseason - Prince or no Prince?

Originally posted by zamboni crash-test dummy View Post
    Someone explain to me the logic behind hiring back your pitching and hitting coaches before hiring a manager (who would want to name his own coaching staff). It's not like they had to rush to resign Sveum and Peterson because other teams were after them.
    That is crazy. Why wouldn't the Manager want all this own guys as coaches? I'd make it a condition if I were offered a job like that.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      That is crazy. Why wouldn't the Manager want all this own guys as coaches? I'd make it a condition if I were offered a job like that.
      Originally posted by zamboni crash-test dummy View Post
      Someone explain to me the logic behind hiring back your pitching and hitting coaches before hiring a manager (who would want to name his own coaching staff). It's not like they had to rush to resign Sveum and Peterson because other teams were after them.
      JSOnline had a blog about this:
      http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/105634653.html

I'm not really sure what to think.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        JSOnline had a blog about this:
        http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/105634653.html

I'm not really sure what to think.
        I like the idea of a totally new staff. I think the players need a jolt, a wake-up call. With Sveum being very familiar the players, as a manager, I would be concerned the players would go to him instead of my open door; and would any retained coaches keep any habits I considered bad, going?

Comment

Valentine the top candidate? http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/106426418.html

Not really a fan.

Comment

I'll only support Valentine if he brings his Groucho Marx disguise.

In all seriousness, he's OK but nothing special. I don't know what the fascination is with this guy. At least the writers would have a more interesting time than they did with Macha.
            Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
            2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
            2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
            Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

so who do you guys want then? melvin?
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Macha (although he didnt show it in Mil) and Valentine as far as winning goes are about the same. But sometime its just about needing to make a change more than making an upgrade. I don't think there is an established high end manager out there at the moment.

They could go the route of bringing in a young mananger who has been in the league as a coach or minors guy. But you never know what you are going to get there either.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/brewers.html

Sounds like Roenicke will be the next manager.

Comment

*shrugs* I guess all I ask is that this guy show a little more energy than Ken "Get off my lawn" Macha.

Brewers make a bunch of moves including declining options on DD, Zaun, and the Hoff. Also, Mike Rivera is back!
                    http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/archi...brewers_c.html
                    Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                    Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                    sigpic
                    Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                    1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by NEWI Badger Fan View Post

I kind of like that they didn't hire a guy with major league managerial experience.

One of the jsonline entries noted that Valentine was never the top candidate and they didn't even negotiate with him - Roenicke was first choice.

Comment

Originally posted by NEWI Badger Fan View Post

I don't think it really matters who is the manager if Melvin doesn't get better pitching.

Comment

Official announcement came today - 2 year deal with a club option for a 3rd. News conference is later today.

I can't find the blog entry now, but Brian Anderson (who had worked with him before) said Roenicke is aggressive and likes to run. With some of the great speed on the Brewers, I'd like to see a little more running too.
                          Last edited by jen; 11-06-2010, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Peterson's future in doubt?

Melvin and Roenicke are going to meet with pitching coach Rick Peterson tonight to see if Roenicke and Peterson hit it off. If they don't, even though Peterson has a year left on his contract, the Brewers probably will make a switch.

"I want to wait until Ron sits down with him and see what happens," said Melvin.

Comment

Ryan Braun and Yo win Silver Slugger awards.

Still no official decision on Peterson, but it seems like if they were going to keep him, they would've decided by now.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                                Ryan Braun and Yo win Silver Slugger awards.

Still no official decision on Peterson, but it seems like if they were going to keep him, they would've decided by now.
                                everything I have heard about Peterson is the rienicke is looking into other options. I'm kinda thinking the long time frame means we'll be keeping Peterson.

Comment

Working...
                                X