NBA 2010-11: KobeJesus vs. the LeBronathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
    I've seen MLB playoff ads on ESPN and NBC. Also, David Stern may be despised, but he gets the job done when it comes to marketing. Bettman is like a child that has his fingers in his ears and sings he's not listening. Are you actually saying that he's doing a good job? Poll all the hockey fans. I bet he's got a 10-15% approval rating.
    If you've seen ads for the World Series on Fox on those networks then Fox bought time, not MLB.
    Again, the ad buying for specific games doesn't fall to the league, it falls to the network showing it and that's who your beef is with.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Re: NBA 2010-11: KobeJesus vs. the LeBronathon

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      If you've seen ads for the World Series on Fox on those networks then Fox bought time, not MLB.
      Again, the ad buying for specific games doesn't fall to the league, it falls to the network showing it and that's who your beef is with.
      My beef is with a lot of people. First, the four-letter sports network for sabotaging the NHL. Second, the commish for being completely clueless and not striking while the iron is hot. Third, NBC for not buying time.

You didn't answer my question, First Time. Do you actually like Bettman?
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
        My beef is with a lot of people. First, the four-letter sports network for sabotaging the NHL. Second, the commish for being completely clueless and not striking while the iron is hot. Third, NBC for not buying time.

You didn't answer my question, First Time. Do you actually like Bettman?
        I like hockey, I don't have an opinion on Bettman one way or the other.
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          I don't have an opinion on Bettman one way or the other.

NSFW, obviously

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Yeah, I expect the commissioner to help market his league on TV.

Further, there are 10 teams under 85% capacity. This isn't just a problem in southern cities where they face unusual challenges - Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York and Montreal are all between 79-81% capacity. Montreal is beyond explanation, but the other three markets all have NBA franchises. And we aren't talking about taking ALL the fans from NBA teams, even a tiny percentage buying season tickets would be a boost.

The big idea is to get fans in the stands for a game or two. My philosophy is that hockey is a much easier game to follow on TV once you've seen a game in person. Even if you don't convert those fans into regular attendees in person, they are more likely to turn on a game after they've been to one.

I accept that there are things teams have to do themselves to market to NBA fans. I expect a lot more from our commissioner than telling NBA fans not to bother with this sport. All that does is make their job tougher - or in the case of the Dallas Stars (51% capacity) just give up.
            Clearly we should totally panic because teams that normally hit 100% or better are at 80% 5 games into a season. And either you're including the Islanders, who frankly are never breaking 85% in Nassau at this stage or the Rangers, who haven't played a farking home game yet. Good job.

And you haven't explained what you want Bettman to do. Do you want him to force a ruling through the Board of Governors ordering teams to honor NBA tickets for cancelled games at half price or something? What do you want him to do? He's an employee of the owners, not a God-King who sits upon high and orders them around like lackeys. Judge Landis is dead.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              Clearly we should totally panic because teams that normally hit 100% or better are at 80% 5 games into a season. And either you're including the Islanders, who frankly are never breaking 85% in Nassau at this stage or the Rangers, who haven't played a farking home game yet. Good job.

And you haven't explained what you want Bettman to do. Do you want him to force a ruling through the Board of Governors ordering teams to honor NBA tickets for cancelled games at half price or something? What do you want him to do? He's an employee of the owners, not a God-King who sits upon high and orders them around like lackeys. Judge Landis is dead.
              He can start by not telling NBA fans "You won't like our sport, so don't bother."

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                He can start by not telling NBA fans "You won't like our sport, so don't bother."
                Thank you. I guarantee you that the NBA plucked hockey fans when they had the lockout. To not even attempt to make a move proves how incompetent Bettman is.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                  Thank you. I guarantee you that the NBA plucked hockey fans when they had the lockout. To not even attempt to make a move proves how incompetent Bettman is.
                  Not very effectively. The 2005 NBA finals were the 2nd lowest of all time and the average regular season ratings were tied for the lowest of all time. Apparently not only did hockey fans not follow the NBA, when invited, they took NBA fans with them to go watch poker and NASCAR.

Edit: Attendance increases in NHL/NBA markets from 2003-04 to 2004-05 (lockout)

1. Miami +190,334 (might have to do with some Shaq guy)
                  2. Washington +59,706
                  3. Phoenix +55,681
                  4. Detroit +32,214
                  5. LA Clippers +30,781
                  6. Atlanta +20,662
                  7. Chicago +19,167
                  8. New York Knicks +14,405
                  9. New Jersey +5,630
                  10. Golden State +4,720
                  11. Denver +2,473
                  12. Dallas -3,061
                  13. LA Lakers -7,263
                  14. Boston -8,167
                  15. Minnesota -18,633
                  16. Toronto -47,200
                  17. Philly -55,442
                  Last edited by bronconick; 10-27-2011, 07:36 AM.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

But there were gains made in more than half of the markets. To not even bother is insane. I didn't think I'd run into the Gary Bettman Fan Club.

Comment

I didn't think I'd run into the Gary Bettman Fan Club.
                      No one expects the Gary Bettman Fan Club! Their chief weapon is surprise. Surprise and fear... fear and surprise... Their two weapons are fear and surprise...

Comment

Here's my argument being made for me.

Comment

But there were gains made in more than half of the markets. To not even bother is insane. I didn't think I'd run into the Gary Bettman Fan Club.
                          Are you seriously trying to say that the increase of 6 people per Nuggets game was because of the mighty NBA's efforts to draw hockey fans that I apparently slept through despite totally bandwagoning on the Pistons during that time period? Hint: There wasn't one.

Miami only buys tickets when they get a superstar. Throw them out, and the entire net gain is 110,000, half of which is Phoenix, of all places. Yeah, that kind of history is totally worth putting on a $100 million league-wide campaign. You're pretty much right up there with people suggesting the NHL is stupid for not letting ESPN take games for their empty NBA slots.

I just like proving you wrong because it keeps you from whining about the Bills 24/7 like last year. Here's an idea. Instead of screaming about Bettman, why don't you start trying to convert hard core basketball fans, despite the fact they hate hockey. I'll wait for your stories of success.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                            Are you seriously trying to say that the increase of 6 people per Nuggets game was because of the mighty NBA's efforts to draw hockey fans that I apparently slept through despite totally bandwagoning on the Pistons during that time period? Hint: There wasn't one.

Miami only buys tickets when they get a superstar. Throw them out, and the entire net gain is 110,000, half of which is Phoenix, of all places. Yeah, that kind of history is totally worth putting on a $100 million league-wide campaign. You're pretty much right up there with people suggesting the NHL is stupid for not letting ESPN take games for their empty NBA slots.

I just like proving you wrong because it keeps you from whining about the Bills 24/7 like last year. Here's an idea. Instead of screaming about Bettman, why don't you start trying to convert hard core basketball fans, despite the fact they hate hockey. I'll wait for your stories of success.
                            Actually, I've convince a couple of hardcore Knicks fans I went to college with to go to a Rangers game this weekend.

Also, in order to be relevant, you have to have some sort of deal with ESPN. Even one or two games on the network a week would lend itself to get some more press. I don't care if people don't like it after giving it a try. I just want the league to be given its fair due instead of being written off. Let the game speak for itself and if you don't like then that's fine.

Comment

Reports that the union is looking at disbanding and filing and antitrust action against the league. This would put the entire season in jeopardy. I continue to not shed a tear at these reports, I actually fully endorse these actions.

Comment

Also, in order to be relevant, you have to have some sort of deal with ESPN.
                                No, you don't. Not when they treat you like crap whether you're on the ESPN family or not.

The NBA was on NBC and TNT for years before ESPN and ABC got in on the deal. And it did fine.

What the NHL needs, though, is that secondary cable presence - get USA or some other NBC-owned station to air 1-2 games a week like the NBA has with TNT.

And yeah, Bettman sucks. But this isn't really on him. It was stupid to not even attempt to target NBA fans, but unlike his early dealings trying to turn the NHL into the NBA on ice (complete with geographical sterile names for the conferences/divisions), this isn't anywhere close to being Isaiah Thomas-levels of idiocy.

Comment

Working...
                                X