NBA 2010-11: KobeJesus vs. the LeBronathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
    And the motivation for players is... link ?
    child support?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: NBA 2010-11: KobeJesus vs. the LeBronathon

So Stern will set a drop-dead date for the season (sometime in January) and say they will use replacement players next year.
      1) Where are these replacement players coming from?
      2) Do they actually expect fans, advertisers and TV networks to shell out top dollar for scrubs?
      3) If owners are hurting for money, how is this going to help them?

Meanwhile, the voices of the real victims are being heard...

@MValdetara I work as a ballboy for the nets, I depend on my game checks and player tips to help pay for college.
      @SuperStatsDave I do stats for a team, 4 reg season games = 1 monthly car payment
      @BroncosItaly We broadcast Utah Jazz games on our radio stations, we will lose revenues we usually get from sales.
      @ReuvenFridmar I run a direct mktg company & Milwaukee Bucks are our client. Can't launch their campaign anytime soon.
      @noordeus I sell beer in Boston. Bars near Garden will cut orders significantly. Will lose lots of commission.
      @ewtonynba Work in sports TV. Tonight just cost my family $1,800 & it'll hurt me more than Kobe's 1 million.
      For more, check @Darrenrovell's twitter timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Wait until they get all occupy-y and set up camp outside David Stern's office.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

So Stern will set a drop-dead date for the season (sometime in January) and say they will use replacement players next year.
          1) Where are these replacement players coming from?
          2) Do they actually expect fans, advertisers and TV networks to shell out top dollar for scrubs?
          3) If owners are hurting for money, how is this going to help them?

For more, check @Darrenrovell's twitter timeline.
          As to point 3, I think, quite reasonably, the owners are now thinking long term here. Short term losses might hurt, but now that the short term losses have been brought about, they're going to fight for a very favorable long term settlement.

Comment

Two more weeks of the season have been canceled.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
              Two more weeks of the season have been canceled.
              I wonder what the wise Gary Bettman will do?
              Twitter: DanMountSports
              2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                I wonder what the wise Gary Bettman will do?
                Cancel his subscription to NBA League Pass from DirecTV.

Oh, you mean to help hockey..

Comment

Cancel his subscription to NBA League Pass from DirecTV.

Oh, you mean to help hockey..
                  Obviously not take your well thought out plan. He has to be the most oblivious idiot in sports. It wouldn't surprise me if Bettman was on the NBA payroll.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Ok, seriously. What do you want Bettman to do to pull all of these NBA fans over? Miami, Phoenix, Dallas and maybe Denver and Anaheim should be running promotions to pull over season ticket holders. That's 5 teams out of 30. Otherwise, Toronto, Detroit, Philly, Boston, Chicago, New York (people that go to MSG for Knicks games aren't taking multiple trains to go to Nassau), San Francisco/San Jose, LA, DC, and Minneapolis don't have a lot of room for butts in seats. Those are all the NBA/NHL markets.

What the NHL needs is viewers on TV. That's up to NBC and the local affiliates, unless you think Bettman's job description includes television marketing.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      Ok, seriously. What do you want Bettman to do to pull all of these NBA fans over? Miami, Phoenix, Dallas and maybe Denver and Anaheim should be running promotions to pull over season ticket holders. That's 5 teams out of 30. Otherwise, Toronto, Detroit, Philly, Boston, Chicago, New York (people that go to MSG for Knicks games aren't taking multiple trains to go to Nassau), San Francisco/San Jose, LA, DC, and Minneapolis don't have a lot of room for butts in seats. Those are all the NBA/NHL markets.

What the NHL needs is viewers on TV. That's up to NBC and the local affiliates, unless you think Bettman's job description includes television marketing.
                      Go look and the plan Priceless whipped up in the NHL thread. As for the marketing, that's exactly what he should do. I see TV ads for MLB, NFL and the NBA (when it was playing). They run commercials to try to get people to watch the game. I don't see the NHL running any ads on networks. Bettman is doing his best Emperor Nero impersonation while the empire burns around him. They seriously need to get rid of him.

Comment

I've seen plenty of NHL ads on VS.
                        NBC shows ads when the games start on NBC.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                          I've seen plenty of NHL ads on VS.
                          NBC shows ads when the games start on NBC.
                          However, they don't do it on other networks. I see plenty of other sports ads crossing networks because they shell out the cash. Bettman doesn't. I can't believe people are defending the worst commissioner in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post

Yeah, I expect the commissioner to help market his league on TV.

Further, there are 10 teams under 85% capacity. This isn't just a problem in southern cities where they face unusual challenges - Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York and Montreal are all between 79-81% capacity. Montreal is beyond explanation, but the other three markets all have NBA franchises. And we aren't talking about taking ALL the fans from NBA teams, even a tiny percentage buying season tickets would be a boost.

The big idea is to get fans in the stands for a game or two. My philosophy is that hockey is a much easier game to follow on TV once you've seen a game in person. Even if you don't convert those fans into regular attendees in person, they are more likely to turn on a game after they've been to one.

I accept that there are things teams have to do themselves to market to NBA fans. I expect a lot more from our commissioner than telling NBA fans not to bother with this sport. All that does is make their job tougher - or in the case of the Dallas Stars (51% capacity) just give up.

Comment

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                              However, they don't do it on other networks. I see plenty of other sports ads crossing networks because they shell out the cash. Bettman doesn't. I can't believe people are defending the worst commissioner in all of sports.
                              What other networks?
                              It's all NBC now and that is a recent move.
                              Yeah ESPN and ABC crosspromote because they are the same company.
                              Right now Comcast Sports, while under the NBC umbrella is still a regional operation, but I have seen ads on Blackhawk broadcasts for when the Blackhawks will be on VS or NBC.
                              But are you seriously saying that the Sharks, Blackhawks or Flyers should promote games on VS that don't involve their team on their regional broadcasts?
                              VS will start promoting the games on NBC when the change happens and I'm sure NBC will start promoting the games on VS then as well.
                              But how is that the NHL or Bettman's fault?
                              You think the NBA has ESPN or ABC running those ads?
                              They don't, it's the networks themselves that do it.
                              How is it Bettman's fault that the NBC sports group doesn't make enough ads?
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                                What other networks?
                                It's all NBC now and that is a recent move.
                                Yeah ESPN and ABC crosspromote because they are the same company.
                                Right now Comcast Sports, while under the NBC umbrella is still a regional operation, but I have seen ads on Blackhawk broadcasts for when the Blackhawks will be on VS or NBC.
                                But are you seriously saying that the Sharks, Blackhawks or Flyers should promote games on VS that don't involve their team on their regional broadcasts?
                                VS will start promoting the games on NBC when the change happens and I'm sure NBC will start promoting the games on VS then as well.
                                But how is that the NHL or Bettman's fault?
                                You think the NBA has ESPN or ABC running those ads?
                                They don't, it's the networks themselves that do it.
                                How is it Bettman's fault that the NBC sports group doesn't make enough ads?
                                I've seen MLB playoff ads on ESPN and NBC. Also, David Stern may be despised, but he gets the job done when it comes to marketing. Bettman is like a child that has his fingers in his ears and sings he's not listening. Are you actually saying that he's doing a good job? Poll all the hockey fans. I bet he's got a 10-15% approval rating.

Comment

Working...
                                X