Patriots 2010: the Year We Make Contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Patriots 2010: the Year We Make Contracts

The Patriots have been the worst run in Boston over the past few seasons. Too many trades with zero return that will help them now. All they do is stock pile draft picks that have turned into guys like Terrence Wheatley, Shawn Crable, Kevin O'Connell, Kareem Brown, David Thomas, Garrett Mills, and Ellis Hobbs. Who are these guys? The 3rd and 4th round picks the Patriots have drafted since 2005 that haven't really made a name for themselves.
    Merrimack College Warriors
    Boston Bruins Hockey
    Stanley Cup Champions: 1929, 1939, 1941, 1970, 1972

"Go! Go! Black and gold!
    Old-time hockey, bar the door
    Clear the track it's all-out war
    Light the lamp, throw a hit
    Black and gold never quit
    The barn is full, our team's in town
    So put 'em up boys, knock 'em down
    Drop the puck, it's time to go"
    -Dropkick Murphys

Sports Juke - a mediocre blog - updated several time daily
    Friend us on Facebook!

Comment

This is weird. I was talking to a friend at lunch yesterday about potential improvement at key spots, maybe they're coming around a bit, the offense actually looked like a real offense and not an Arena League team, and with perhaps four picks in the top 50 spots of the 2011 draft, with Oakland's right now projecting to a No. 5-6 and Carolina's projecting to No. 33-36, and if they can hit on three of those picks, and blah blah blah . . .

And then I stopped myself and thought, "What the hell am I talking about? They're FOUR games into this season!" What kind a shi**y fan I am to be thinking like this when they're 3-1, 2-1 in the division, in what is right now a wide open NFL. Who are the dominant teams? The Jets? Baltimore? Pittsburgh? The Saints? 1-2 Dallas? 2-2 Indy? Sure, right now they look like they can't compete consistently on defense. But let's see where they are in week eight, twelve, etc. Who knows what might happen?

And now this. It's really disappointing, especially coming off the biggest road win for this organization in at least 22 months. I was excited to see what they could bring to the table vs. 3-1 Baltimore.

I understand their reasons for this. But I'd feel a lot better if they could've at least landed a backup D lineman or a nickleback who could help this year. I hate the feeling that they've so dramatically taken away from the 2010 product four weeks into the season.

So in an uncapped year, they've traded Maroney's and Moss's salaries and picked up draft choices that they'll be paying in capped years. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense if your goal is to win games and win championships.
      Last edited by Jason A; 10-06-2010, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Was wrong on the compensatory pick if Moss left as a free agent - from Mike Reiss at ESPN Boston:

"When analyzing the trade of Randy Moss to the Vikings, one consideration is compensatory draft picks.

Had the Patriots kept Moss for the season, the team could have received a 2012 compensatory draft choice when/if Moss signed with another team in the offseason.

That pick could have been no higher than a fifth-rounder in 2012, because Moss has 10 accrued seasons in the NFL.

That was likely a consideration for the Patriots when they accepted a 2011 third-round pick as compensation from the Vikings."

Comment

Here's a radical thought. Maybe they should have extended Moss' contract?

IF there's no other moves coming here, and this a straight up Moss-3rd rounder, I'm done with this team for awhile. This is a Bruins move - keep making the team worse with dumb trades but lie with a straight face and say the team's getting better. I'd f v cking sick of stockpiling 3rd and 4th rounders. It doesn't work. I'm sick of trading down. It doesn't work. They need to re-stock the team with high first rounders. What the f u ck are they doing with all the money the team earns? Aren't they the second most valuable franchise after Dallas? I don't see the Colts or Steelers continually having free agent fire sales every year. This is becoming a pattern of bad deals (Law, Branch, Samuel, Vrabel, etc etc) where we've let guys go or given them away for pennies on the dollar that could have helped the team. Might be time for the team to take away Belichick's personnel duties and let him focus on coaching.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles View Post
            The Patriots have been the worst run in Boston over the past few seasons. Too many trades with zero return that will help them now. All they do is stock pile draft picks that have turned into guys like Terrence Wheatley, Shawn Crable, Kevin O'Connell, Kareem Brown, David Thomas, Garrett Mills, and Ellis Hobbs. Who are these guys? The 3rd and 4th round picks the Patriots have drafted since 2005 that haven't really made a name for themselves.
            You forgot to add nameless players like Gostkowski, R4, '06; Ohrnberger R4, '09' and Hernandez R4, '10'.
            The Pats roster is full of draft picks since '05', including Chung, Butler, Crable, Edelman, Gostkowski, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Mayo, Meriweather, McCourty, Ohrnberger, Vollmer etc.
            Roster
            Looks to me like a lot more have stuck than the number of busts mentioned above.

Anyone consider Moss may be a negative influence in the locker room at this point? They smoke Miami and the coach and team are jacked, and Moss looks like he just lost the family dog. Gotta get rid of cancer.
            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              Here's a radical thought. Maybe they should have extended Moss' contract?

IF there's no other moves coming here, and this a straight up Moss-3rd rounder, I'm done with this team for awhile. This is a Bruins move - keep making the team worse with dumb trades but lie with a straight face and say the team's getting better. I'd f v cking sick of stockpiling 3rd and 4th rounders. It doesn't work. I'm sick of trading down. It doesn't work. They need to re-stock the team with high first rounders. What the f u ck are they doing with all the money the team earns? Aren't they the second most valuable franchise after Dallas? I don't see the Colts or Steelers continually having free agent fire sales every year. This is becoming a pattern of bad deals (Law, Branch, Samuel, Vrabel, etc etc) where we've let guys go or given them away for pennies on the dollar that could have helped the team. Might be time for the team to take away Belichick's personnel duties and let him focus on coaching.
              I completely disagree with this statement. I think this is a matter of addition by subtraction. Brady hasn't been Brady since Moss got here. Look at this past week. He threw to Moss once (quick play, won't fault Moss for that) but Brady had a 107 passer rating. Week before, 2 passes to Moss (albeit 2 TDs) and a 142 passer rating. Against the Jets, 10 out of 36 passes to Moss, 8 dropped or picked off, 72 passer rating. Moss isn't necessary. What has Branch done since he left? Not more than 49 passes. Hasn't played a full season since he left (14 games twice, 11 and 8). I will give you the moves on D were bad letting some of the vets go, but with the O, I think this team is better without Moss.
              Originally posted by Bakunin
              Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                I completely disagree with this statement. I think this is a matter of addition by subtraction. Brady hasn't been Brady since Moss got here. Look at this past week. He threw to Moss once (quick play, won't fault Moss for that) but Brady had a 107 passer rating. Week before, 2 passes to Moss (albeit 2 TDs) and a 142 passer rating. Against the Jets, 10 out of 36 passes to Moss, 8 dropped or picked off, 72 passer rating. Moss isn't necessary. What has Branch done since he left? Not more than 49 passes. Hasn't played a full season since he left (14 games twice, 11 and 8). I will give you the moves on D were bad letting some of the vets go, but with the O, I think this team is better without Moss.
                Sorry, but this is Bruins thinking. Lets get rid of the star player for nothing and we're better off for it. No offense, but that makes no sense. Instead of drawing coverage away from Welker, you can now expect him to be doubled all day while teams crowd in 10-15 yards downfield and dare someone like Tate to beat them.

The bottom line is this team has not won a Super Bowl in 6 years and their draft choices have not panned out into impact players in eons. Gostkowski = who cares? Kickers are a dime a dozen and we already have one before he came along. All the rest of them are not top line players. That's why the team keeps falling further behind the elites in the league, and is now in a dogfight for their own division.

Used to be we'd be on the other side of these transactions (Moss for 4th rounder, Ted Washington for 2nd rounder). Now we're the ones getting fleeced left and right. At some point you have to ask yourself why the team keeps getting itself into contentious free agent wars with its own players. Why can the Steelers and Colts keep their impact stars and we can't?
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Belichick:
                  Over the course of the past several months, I have spoken with Randy and his representative about Randy's place on our team and his future in football. Consistent with my dealings with Randy from the day we acquired him through our conversation this morning, it has been honest, thoughtful and with great mutual respect.

While I will keep private the details of internal conversations with players and staff, suffice it to say that many things were taken into consideration before making the trade. In this business, there are complex and often difficult decisions, but it is my responsibility to make them based on what I feel is best for our football team, in both the short term and long term. I am grateful for the opportunity to have coached Randy Moss and aside from facing him as an opponent, I wish him the very best for the remainder of his Hall of Fame career.
                  Peter King tweeted this morning about a "minor piece" of the deal beyond a third-rounder. I haven't heard this anywhere else. Anyone?

Comment

Sorry, but this is Bruins thinking. Lets get rid of the star player for nothing and we're better off for it. No offense, but that makes no sense. Instead of drawing coverage away from Welker, you can now expect him to be doubled all day while teams crowd in 10-15 yards downfield and dare someone like Tate to beat them.

The bottom line is this team has not won a Super Bowl in 6 years and their draft choices have not panned out into impact players in eons. Gostkowski = who cares? Kickers are a dime a dozen and we already have one before he came along. All the rest of them are not top line players. That's why the team keeps falling further behind the elites in the league, and is now in a dogfight for their own division.

Used to be we'd be on the other side of these transactions (Moss for 4th rounder, Ted Washington for 2nd rounder). Now we're the ones getting fleeced left and right. At some point you have to ask yourself why the team keeps getting itself into contentious free agent wars with its own players. Why can the Steelers and Colts keep their impact stars and we can't?
                    I only disagree with Moss. It's like A-Rod idea. He's a great player, but 9 times out of 10 you're better off without him. I think for Brady's mentality, he's better off without Moss. I think the rest of the moves you're talking about (Samuel, Law, Seymore, Vrable, etc.) on the defense, they should have ponied up the cash, not made the trade whatever. The offense has always been, plug X into lineup here and he produces. Plug X into another team, he becomes a bust. Offensively, As long as Brady's there, I think we're ok. Defensively, they've been stupid (along with Thomas being a total bust signing).
                    Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

• Re: Patriots 2010: the Year We Make Contracts

Has the smear campaign started on eei yet?

As a stillers fan, I am obviously thrilled.
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Looks like a done deal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ng/10/06/moss/

The only smear I'll give is that this officially makes the Patriots a team full of 100% team players now. We'll see how this goes.

Just in time for the J-E-T-Z game next week, too!

Comment

Seriously? Was Moss taking off plays or something? He's still the best WR in Patriots history.

Why is there any kind of smear campaign? The Patriots always play hardball with their FAs and the talks always become contentious. It happens with just about all their players.

But it's always the selfish player? It can't always be true. I think Moss was worth more, and probably was worth more before the season started.
                          Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                            I only disagree with Moss. It's like A-Rod idea. He's a great player, but 9 times out of 10 you're better off without him. I think for Brady's mentality, he's better off without Moss. I think the rest of the moves you're talking about (Samuel, Law, Seymore, Vrable, etc.) on the defense, they should have ponied up the cash, not made the trade whatever. The offense has always been, plug X into lineup here and he produces. Plug X into another team, he becomes a bust. Offensively, As long as Brady's there, I think we're ok. Defensively, they've been stupid (along with Thomas being a total bust signing).
                            And If the offense struggles after this, I will eat those words.

Comment

This is a Bruins move
                              Originally posted by Eagles View Post
                              The Patriots have been the worst run in Boston over the past few seasons.
                              We really need to get you two together.

I'm in the "this is a bad move" camp.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              As a stillers fan, I am obviously thrilled.
                              and this is why.

mookie, you should know better to listen to EEI unless you want to heard Manny bashing, Obama bashing or how much fat guys like to eat sandwiches.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                                Seriously? Was Moss taking off plays or something? He's still the best WR in Patriots history.

Why is there any kind of smear campaign? The Patriots always play hardball with their FAs and the talks always become contentious. It happens with just about all their players.

But it's always the selfish player? It can't always be true. I think Moss was worth more, and probably was worth more before the season started.
                                No argument with that. It's just that a Patriots with a team mentality achieved so much more than a team with Moss did. There were times when it did look like Moss was dogging it, but for keeping him as happy as possible at least outwardly, the Patriots did well.

That's not to say that there is a genuine replacement for Moss. There doesn't seem to be, and this is a puzzling move. I assume Belichick is still in the hunt for a Super Bowl slot at the end of the regular season.

Comment

Working...
                                X