Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Patriots 2010: the Year We Make Contracts

Its good to see Maroney suck for Denver also
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

When nance said, "give to maroney" we all said -no td
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        When nance said, "give to maroney" we all said -no td
        sad thing is that is exactly the thought that went through my mind....

Comment

They really suck, in many ways. But they won and they're 2-1 and it looks like they'll be tied for first place by the end of the night. And they only need seven more wins to go 9-7. I don't know if they can get there, but there's a chance.

The only issue I have with the "they'll draft help with the pass rush next year" view is that I wonder if they're really capable of doing that. As I look at their last, say, five drafts, I don't see any evidence they know how to do that. I hope they do, though, and it was nice to see the Raiders give one away today.

That Carolina second-rounder is 33-37 right now. Their next three games are @ NO, vs. Chicago, and vs. San Francisco. If they decide to pack it in, that could be a boon, considering NE traded away #89 for what could be a mid- to high-30's pick.

But again, do they really know which players to draft? Looking out there on defense today, I don't have that confidence. I hope -- but I'm skeptical at this point.

Comment

This Dolphins defense has some areas they can attack next week. I just don't know if they'll ever get off the field defensively.

Comment

Went to the game yesterday for the first time to Gillette. Really nice stadium. I can see how Kraft is raking in the cash at that place.

Regarding the Pats, I'd rather see them draft a stud RB with the Raiders pick because its what's missing in their offense. Do that and resign Moss and the O is good to go for several more years especially with those new TE's playing so well. An offensive coordinator would be nice too.

The problem with the D is the weak link, which is the #2 corner position where Bodden should have been. Butler in limited duty even yesterday looks bad. Arrington isn't much better although in fairness it was his first game. They really, really need to get someone solid back there. I don't care if it costs big $$$. If one corner can't cover anybody, the rest of the D breaks down. You have to either drop more LB's into coverage, or blitz and leave your D exposed downfield. This is Belichick's fault, as the problems with the secondary have been evident the previous 2 years. Not sure what to make of McCourty yet. Could be that because the WR's are so wide open on the other side nobody bothers to throw his way.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                no experience at the corners and their best pass rush threat is on injured reserve... no surprise, really... the corners, mccourty, chung, butler, wheatley, and arrington had a combined 50 games played coming into the season (6 starts among them)... meanwhile, sitting on injured reserve are bodden 90 gp/67 starts and mcgowan (who is listed as a safety but can play corner) with 41/24...

they are a bit more experienced at safety with meriweather, page, and sanders having 48 games/27 starts, 53/39, 63/41 respectively... problem is, only two of those guys are on the field at any given time, and the two that are out there need to make up for the inexperience of the corners...

fact is, teams are going to exploit the lack of a pass rush and go after the inexperienced corners on underneath routes or when there is man coverage... remember, samuel turned out to be a pretty good cb after he gained some experience, but his first couple of years were terrible before he made the jump in year three... it takes time... the pats are clearly banking on their ability to score points to win games... next year they will be drafting help with the pass rush (which will help out the secondary) and the running game...
                I was thinking more about this. IIRC, following the draft I was thinking they could end up with 16-17 players on the 53-man roster from the last two draft/UDFA classes. Right now I count 19, with two others on IR, so that's 21 guys they're still working with at this point:

2010 Draft:
                Devin McCourty, CB: Starting CB
                Rob Gronkowski, TE: Part of three-man TE combination
                Jermaine Cunningham, LB: On 53-man roster
                Brandon Spikes, LB: Starting ILB
                Taylor Price, WR: On 53-man roster
                Aaron Hernandez, TE: Part of three-man TE combination
                Zoltan Mesko , P: Punter

Ted Larsen, C: CUT
                Thomas Welch, OL: CUT
                Brandon Deaderick: On 53-man roster
                Kade Weston, DT: Season-ending IR
                Zac Robinson, QB: CUT

2010 UDFA:
                Dane Fletcher (ILB)
                Kyle Love (DL)

2009 Draft:
                Patrick Chung, S: Starting SS
                Ron Brace, DT: On 53-man roster
                Darius Butler, CB: Starting CB
                Sebastian Vollmer, OL: Starting RT
                Brandon Tate, WR: Third WR and kick returner

Tyrone McKenzie, LB: CUT (PS)
                Rich Ohrnberger, OL: CUT (PS)
                George Bussey, OL: CUT
                Jake Ingram, LS: Long snapper
                Myron Pryor, DT: On 53-man roster
                Julian Edelman, WR: On 53-man roster

Darryl Richard, DT: Season-ending IR

2009 UDFA: Brian Hoyer (QB)

For comparison purposes: They have seven players left from the 06-08 draft classes (five from 2008, and only one from '06 and '07).

Let's hope these young guys develop into players. They will become, for better or worse, the future of the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason A View Post
                  For comparison purposes: They have seven players left from the 06-08 draft classes (five from 2008, and only one from '06 and '07).

Let's hope these young guys develop into players. They will become, for better or worse, the future of the franchise.

but couldn't you argue that some of the 09 and 10 players you mentioned are only on the roster because of the team's failure to produce anyone good from those previous drafts? especially considering the limited moves made in free agency.

no doubt some are very talented and will become mainstays of the future core, but others are definitely just going to be placeholders
                  “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                  Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                  Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                  National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                    but couldn't you argue that some of the 09 and 10 players you mentioned are only on the roster because of the team's failure to produce anyone good from those previous drafts? especially considering the limited moves made in free agency.

no doubt some are very talented and will become mainstays of the future core, but others are definitely just going to be placeholders
                    Absolutely. And the injuries to Bodden, Warren, and Faulk play a factor as well -- three spots that would've been filled (and maybe a fourth for McGowan). They're definitely interrelated.

Comment

This sort of thing worked better when we had All-Pros on defense and an in-his-prime Brady, but oh well, I guess it can't hurt . . .
                      FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The New England Patriots have channeled their inner Rodney Harrison this week. If there was one defining theme resonating throughout the locker room in the days leading up to Monday night's clash against the Miami Dolphins, it was this: No one believes in us!

Invoking the no-respect card was a Harrison specialty when he played in New England from 2003-2008, and it was something the Patriots often rallied around when they were at their best.

With no Harrison in the locker room this year, the catalyst for the no-one-believes-in-us mantra has been none other than head coach Bill Belichick.

According to players, Belichick drew their attention to the latest issue of Patriots Football Weekly. He wasn't testing their reading comprehension, but instead pointing out that the team-owned newspaper had a section in which "experts" made their NFL predictions. All nine of them picked Miami.
                      http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl...ike&id=5646647

Comment

Originally posted by Jason A View Post
                        This sort of thing worked better when we had All-Pros on defense and an in-his-prime Brady, but oh well, I guess it can't hurt . . . http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl...ike&id=5646647
                        Look on the brightside. We get 5 hours of John Gruden lusting after Chad Henne tonight. Comedy gold!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                        -Blackadder
                        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                        -Casablanca
                        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

34-14. 8:40 left in the fourth. Looking good.... C'mon paper mache defense!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                          -Blackadder
                          -Casablanca
                          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                            34-14. 8:40 left in the fourth. Looking good.... C'mon paper mache defense!
                            TAINT!

Chung and Ninkovich (sp?) have been huge this game.
                            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                            -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                              TAINT!

Chung and Ninkovich (sp?) have been huge this game.
                              Felger just lit himself on fire.

-Blackadder
                              -Casablanca
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I wonder if New England was just a little annoyed about what happened last week?
                                Twitter: DanMountSports
                                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Working...
                                X