We're going Rio..... de Janerio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're going Rio..... de Janerio

So, Rio beats out Chicago (in first round), Tokyo (second round), and Madrid for the 2016 Olympics.

IHMO, not actually a surprise.

Chicago- come on, even with the Presidential backing, how many Olypmics will be in the US, let alone North America????

Madrid- while they were a finalist, I still think that Barcelona was pretty close, and there's still some political issues...

I personally thought it should be between Tokyo and Rio, with the lean toward Rio since there have been a few games in Asia, but this will be the first games ever in South America.

So, sing along.

I'm going to Rio... de Janerio....

Or discuss, you choose.

Re: We're going Rio..... de Janerio

Does that mean the games are in February that year then?
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Remember how much corruption there was in goody-two-shoes Salt Lake City? Can you imagine what it would have been like in Daly's Chicago?

As a Bostonian, I remember the 2004 Democratic Natl Convention. The thinking went, hey, we'll shut down the city for a week, and the 15,000 visitors will spend so much money, we'll come out ahead. The thing was a huge debacle and everyone lost money. While the Olympics aren't fully analogous, I see it as similar: let's shut down the whole town for a while so we can have a big track meet.

I see this as a disaster avoided. I am ecstatic that another country is going to take the headaches, costs, and repercussions.

Just look at how Athens is doing now.
      http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0721/p04s01-wogn.html
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-Olympics.html
      Last edited by Zudnic; 10-02-2009, 01:34 PM.
      Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        Still in August. Rio is on the Topic of Capricorn - it'll be warm in the winter. Cities at comparable latitude in the northern hemisphere are Havana and Hong Kong.
        Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          I think Winter in Rio will be just fine to host the Summer Olympics. Lowest rainfalls between July and August, average high 23-24C, low 18C for the two months. Seems like it's ideal weather for outdoor sports, if you ask me.

Feb would be bad- third highest rainfall, 29/23 C for temps.

Comment

Considering how miserable the city of Vancouver is for the comparatively mild cost of a winter games, Chicago should count itself lucky. Its avoided massive construction projects that will have little long term benefit. Unless your an avid follower of the national badminton league.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
              Considering how miserable the city of Vancouver is for the comparatively mild cost of a winter games, Chicago should count itself lucky. Its avoided massive construction projects that will have little long term benefit. Unless your an avid follower of the national badminton league.
              Yes, I'm sure Vancouverites will hate their new subway for years to come.
              "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

If he's still with us, Pele for the torch lighting?

Senna's family for something.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                  That's nice. But what's the benefit of 11 TEMPORARY venues?

The Vancouver train also cost C$1.2b in public funds.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                    That's nice. But what's the benefit of 11 TEMPORARY venues?

The Vancouver train also cost C$1.2b in public funds.
                    Benefit? No operating costs hanging over your head for venues with no tenants?

And the train may cost a lot of money - it will also be a lasting public investment. DC's Metro cost a lot of money, too - but I'm willing to bet those that attended the Frozen Four here this spring saw what an asset it is to the city. The Metro tunnels, with proper maintenance, will last for generations.
                    "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

my other blog

Comment

Thats great, but theres plenty more of this in addition to the cost of venues that will be little used:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...icle965921.ece

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
                        Thats great, but theres plenty more of this in addition to the cost of venues that will be little used:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...icle965921.ece
                        I'm not going to pretend that the Olympics are some magical money-making thing, but is such a shortfall really due to the Olympics, or is that just bad bad timing with the recession, tight credit, and commercial real estate bust?

my other blog

Comment

Yes there would have been negatives to hosting the Olympics, but there would have been benefits as well.

In both those articles you posted Zudnic, particularly the first, there was optimism from the games and the fact that more good was done than bad. Besides, I don't think Atlanta has had too many problems after hosting the Olympics. I'm just saying there are positives and right ways to do things.

I will concede though that not all is good. Even the Chinese are having problems with the Bird's Nest Stadium. I don't know maybe in the US where we seem to have more sports and aren't concentrated on one sport like most of Europe, it's easier to transition the sporting venues into future uses since there are other available popular sorts.
                          Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

Comment

I'm not going to pretend that the Olympics are some magical money-making thing, but is such a shortfall really due to the Olympics, or is that just bad bad timing with the recession, tight credit, and commercial real estate bust?
                            As a loyal reader of the globe and a sometimes reader of the Vancouver Sun I remember there were concerns and questions before the Fall 2008 financial crisis really got going, but of course that made a bad situation considerably worse.

Ultimately I really don't care about this one, I'd rather get the 2022 World Cup, which is a (imo) a lot more exciting) and definitley a lot cheaper.

Comment

Yes, but Greece is one of the most pathetic economies in all of the EU. Frankly, they never should have been given the games, since the entire country is crumbling around their feet. Greece is a cluster****
                              BigPieps: Nathan > few million others
                              BigPieps: Once again, Nathan speaks the truth.
                              GreatLakerMohawk: Bill Smith is a ******.
                              GreatLakerMohawk: Why do you question Nathan? He knows what's up. F-cking listen already.
                              GreatLakerMohawk: Nathan appears to be the only smart one here. Again.

Join us for Wild Discussion at Hockey Wilderness.

Comment

Working...
                              X