X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Allez Cuisine!

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The fireball seems to be a theme here with cooking bacon on the grill. Maybe I'll just use a pan on the side burner. I really want the bacon for some BLTs and burgers, but I don't want the heat in my house right now.
    If you have a top rack to the grill, cook the bacon up there and put tin foil on the main cooking surface below it to catch the grease.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Those of you who've cooked bacon on the grill, do you have any suggestions? I'm thinking about giving it a whirl tomorrow.
      I've done it a number of times:
      1. Make a tinfoil boat big enough for the strips.
      2. Put them directly over the heat long enough to start cooking.
      3. Poke SMALL holes in the bottom of the foil to drain the grease and move the boat away from direct heat.
      4. Grill until nice and crispy.

You'll never go back to cooking it in a pan or in the oven.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        I've done it a number of times:
        1. Make a tinfoil boat big enough for the strips.
        2. Put them directly over the heat long enough to start cooking.
        3. Poke SMALL holes in the bottom of the foil to drain the grease and move the boat away from direct heat.
        4. Grill until nice and crispy.

You'll never go back to cooking it in a pan or in the oven.
        Thanks! I'm going to try that tonight. Do you use a second foil boat to catch the grease or just let it season your grill?
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I just let it drip. The ashes pick it up more or less. If the fire isn't that hot (I usually cook bacon last) then I'll just let it drip in the coals. But absolutely make sure the lid is on the grill.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

hosted a family gathering yesterday - spinach, mozz and feta crescent rolls for appetizers, BBQ chicken sandwiches, eggplant involtini, fruit salad, green beans and mushrooms with balsamic vinegar, popovers, orzo with fresh feta and sun dried tomatoes, baked penne with rosa sauce, very rich chocolate brownies and raspberry lemon cake.

used this sauce for the sandwiches - really easy and very good - Virginia Pruitt's Perfect Barbecue Sauce
            Last edited by jen; 07-30-2012, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Still not getting my pasty crusts right. This is going to require a Toni's run when I visit the Copper Country next month.

Comment

Trying to make a batch of pickled pineapple right now. I have high hopes, i think it will be good. FYI, its a sweet, quick pickle.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Still not getting my pasty crusts right. This is going to require a Toni's run when I visit the Copper Country next month.
                  What recipe are you using, and what isn't right about them? I've been meaning to make a batch of pastys, and it'd be nice to know where not to start.
                  Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                  I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                  Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                    What recipe are you using, and what isn't right about them? I've been meaning to make a batch of pastys, and it'd be nice to know where not to start.
                    I think the problem this time is that I used all shortening, because the crust came out too crispy. I recall a Good Eats episode where Alton Brown advocated a mixture of both shortening and butter for homemade pastry. I need to try something like 2/3 shortening, 1/3 butter next time. Truth be told, Alton would probably recommend lard over shortening, but the uber-preserved shit you get in most grocery stores is likely just that - shit.

EDIT: I may have overbaked the test pasty too. 375 for 1 1/4 hours is probably too much - 375 for 55-60 minutes is seems closer to the mark.

EDIT 2: If serving to guests, do NOT overdo the rutabega/turnip. Gastrointestinal disaster, if you get my drift.
                    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-13-2012, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I think the problem this time is that I used all shortening, because the crust came out too crispy. I recall a Good Eats episode where Alton Brown advocated a mixture of both shortening and butter for homemade pastry. I need to try something like 2/3 shortening, 1/3 butter next time. Truth be told, Alton would probably recommend lard over shortening, but the uber-preserved shit you get in most grocery stores is likely just that - shit.

EDIT: I may have overbaked the test pasty too. 375 for 1 1/4 hours is probably too much - 375 for 55-60 minutes is seems closer to the mark.

EDIT 2: If serving to guests, do NOT overdo the rutabega/turnip. Gastrointestinal disaster, if you get my drift.
                      Too crispy, eh? Sounds like you baked it a little too hot (maybe too long as well), or it could use some more water in the crust and more kneading. Was it also flakier than most Yooper-style pasties? Also, I doubt the lard in the stores is particularly full of preservatives, at least if you get a name brand like Morrell Snow Cap.

And I hate rutabaga and turnip, so I don't think that I'll be overdoing those I'll stick with parsnip, potato, carrot and onion.
                      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

I've got a lot of zucchini and summer squash right now; what can I do?
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                          Whew. What can't you do?

Cut in sicks and eat raw with dip. Slice lengthwise coat with evoo salt and pepper and grill. Carve out and stuff w sausage and rice covee with cheese and bake. Slice an saute with onions sausage or meatballs tomato etc to make a sauce for pasta or rice.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                            I use a Mandolin slicer, cut length wise into 1/8 strips, layer up a Lasagna with Zucchini and summer squash as noodles. Its a little wet because of the moisture in both veggies . Next time I'm gonna dehydrate before using
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              I use a Mandolin slicer, cut length wise into 1/8 strips, layer up a Lasagna with Zucchini and summer squash as noodles. Its a little wet because of the moisture in both veggies . Next time I'm gonna dehydrate before using
                              If you sprinkle the veggies with some Kosher salt after cutting, let them sit for a while (~30 min) and then rinse and pat dry with paper towels that should help purge much of the water that is making the dish soggy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                If you're trying to do any type of gluten free eating, take a veggie peeler to the zucchini and shave strips off, saute in some olive oil, garlic, red pepper, and sesame seeds for about 2-3 minutes. Serve with pasta sauce and meatballs for a new take on spaghetti and meatballs

Comment

Working...
                                X