2010 Little League World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Little League World Series

Just curious if you all would even know this since only a few regulars here have kids of the appropriate age:

Do kids in your own neck of the woods actually play under "Little League" sanction, or are other organizations such as PONY or Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken more popular? Just curious as to spread of other sanctioning bodies...

Here in the Chicagoland area, I would venture to say that Little League has less than 1/3 of the youth baseball, with PONY being the most popular by a wide margin...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      Just curious if you all would even know this since only a few regulars here have kids of the appropriate age:

Do kids in your own neck of the woods actually play under "Little League" sanction, or are other organizations such as PONY or Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken more popular? Just curious as to spread of other sanctioning bodies...

Here in the Chicagoland area, I would venture to say that Little League has less than 1/3 of the youth baseball, with PONY being the most popular by a wide margin...
      I thought the designation was an age thing? With PONY being older kids (like the next step up from Little league)

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
        I thought the designation was an age thing? With PONY being older kids (like the next step up from Little league)
        Back in the day that was the case... Now PONY is their own sanction... Basically the main difference between LL and other organizations is how the sport of baseball has changed on the youth level... LL is more or less a "modified and toned down" version of baseball with no steals, leadoffs, or pickoffs... They also play on smaller diamonds (60' bases vs 70' bases) compared to the other sanctioning bodies... In other organizations, the 12 year olds are playing the same game as a kid in HS or college...

Basically, despite kids getting bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter, the game has remained the same in LL as 50 years ago...
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

I would say less than half of youth baseball is Little League in Minnesota, probably closer to a third. I don't have kids that age but Umpire Little League.

In my youth playing days in the late 80's and early 90's, I never played Little League baseball, only Koufax/Mantle/Babe Ruth. I guess its a community's choice. In my community (St. Louis Park), some kids play little league and others play traveling ball. After Little League, there is no Big League in St. Louis Park. They move on to Babe Ruth.
          Go Bulldogs!!!!

Comment

Georgia would officially like to say, "We can play too guys"

Georgia, Texas, Taiwan, and Japan have asserted themselves as the four best teams.

Here's to hoping they all make it into the International and USA finals setting up two great showdowns and then the ultimate showdown for the world title.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Here in Coon Rapids it went LL, then Babe Ruth when you were 13-15. After that it is high school and legion, usually both.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

See ya Mexico!

Try swinging the bats next time.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrass01 View Post
                  I would say less than half of youth baseball is Little League in Minnesota, probably closer to a third. I don't have kids that age but Umpire Little League.

In my youth playing days in the late 80's and early 90's, I never played Little League baseball, only Koufax/Mantle/Babe Ruth. I guess its a community's choice. In my community (St. Louis Park), some kids play little league and others play traveling ball. After Little League, there is no Big League in St. Louis Park. They move on to Babe Ruth.
                  Looking at your profile, I'm 3 years younger and also grew up in SLP. I don't remember anything called Koufax at all. We had two Little Leagues that was split at that time. Park South (Southern SLP) where I played) and Park National. After that was Mickey Mantle and then Babe Ruth. Now it seems as though they (PS and PN) have combined into one league.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    Georgia would officially like to say, "We can play too guys"

Georgia, Texas, Taiwan, and Japan have asserted themselves as the four best teams.

Here's to hoping they all make it into the International and USA finals setting up two great showdowns and then the ultimate showdown for the world title.
                    They're just kids. And we lose sight of it in events like this.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                      Looking at your profile, I'm 3 years younger and also grew up in SLP. I don't remember anything called Koufax at all. We had two Little Leagues that was split at that time. Park South (Southern SLP) where I played) and Park National. After that was Mickey Mantle and then Babe Ruth. Now it seems as though they (PS and PN) have combined into one league.
                      I actually grew up in Elk River, and they never had Little League. So that's why I said its a community choice. You either have Little League or you don't. Its hard to guage the breakdown of Little League vs. other organizations. I know District 1 Little League has leagues like Plymouth/NH, Robbinsdale, Brooklyn Park, Coon Rapids (3 little leagues alone), Blaine, Minnetonka, Hopkins, Golden Valley. That's a decent foothold in the NW metro. Minneapolis and St. Paul has RBI baseball.

I ump in SLP and they are down to one league, and only 5 majors teams left. There were 7 majors teams 5 years ago. They just don't have the numbers anymore. They really don't have a lot of Travel ball as well, basically 1 team at each age. SLP's Little League All-Stars don't fare well against other District 1 teams, as Plymouth/NH, Coon Rapids, and Brooklyn Park are pretty strong.
                      Go Bulldogs!!!!

Comment

Taiwan gives up their first run of the LLWS and first in 7 games.

Panama up 1-0 in the bottom of the 1st.
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                          Taiwan gives up their first run of the LLWS and first in 7 games.

Panama up 1-0 in the bottom of the 1st.
                          I guess there is a flaw in Taiwan. They cannot hit heat.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            I guess there is a flaw in Taiwan. They cannot hit heat.
                            The Panama kid will still have to pitch a complete game for them to win. Then they come back tomorrow and Taiwan smokes them.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                              The Panama kid will still have to pitch a complete game for them to win. Then they come back tomorrow and Taiwan smokes them.
                              True. Taiwan may beat them anyway, 1-1 top of third with men on second and third.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Well to no surprise, we've got Taiwan vs Japan in the International final.

I've got my money on Japan. I think Taiwan's pool was weak.

Texas up 1-0 early on Washington thanks to some VERY aggressive baserunning by a special pinch runner.
                                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X