No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers 2010, Part 2: Wanted: Hitting. Gerald Laird need not apply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Detroit Tigers 2010, Part 2: Wanted: Hitting. Gerald Laird need not apply

Yeah, it doesn't work like that. In hockey, if somebody takes a cheap shot at a third or fourth liner, you don't get to run the other team's top player through the boards.

A big part of the code is maintaining some sense of equivalency. Even if they had hit an Inge or Peralta, it's not as big of a deal. Hitting Cabrera was way, way over the line.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

9-2. This team's got about as much life as Zsa Zsa.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

11-2. * this. I'm going to start using the homer light for other team's bombs as well.

Yes, let's bring in Bonine to clean up for Schlereth and Weinhardt. After that we'll use gasoline to put out the fire when the propane and diesel fuel doesn't do the job.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
          Yeah, it doesn't work like that. In hockey, if somebody takes a cheap shot at a third or fourth liner, you don't get to run the other team's top player through the boards.
          Comparing apples and grapefruit. This isn't hockey.

A big part of the code is maintaining some sense of equivalency. Even if they had hit an Inge or Peralta, it's not as big of a deal. Hitting Cabrera was way, way over the line.
          If I'm not happy that one of my guys is getting hit (and it doesn't matter which one), I'm gonna dot one of your big guys to send the message "Stop plunking my hitters". I'm going to keep it under the shoulder blades, but I'm going to get your undivided attention about this matter.

Rather than continue to beat this dead horse, I am done discussing last night's purse fight. We're not going to see this team again until 2011. I think I've made it quite clear how I feel, and so have others. Unless this develops further between the teams, I'm moving on.

11-4 Yanks now.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            Someone should throw at your head for equivocating Gardner and Cabrera.

The Tigers threw at some scrub as retaliation for a Yankee taking out a Tiger with a hard slide. That should have been the end of it. It's utter garbage to throw at a team's superstar because a player like Gardner got hit.
            i didnt equate them. in fact i made a point of saying there was a disparity in their status by criticizing bonderman. moreover, and i even said that leyland was justified in his anger (more at the umps for how they handled it - its not like he hasnt seen a batter get hit before)

though, you should definitely pay better attention. gardner was hit because he took the hard slide into guillen the night before. he wasnt a random. and i dont see why you would expect it to be done there after that HBP as 'dirty slide' isnt universally accepted (Same as slow homerun trot) for getting beaned. everybody is going to know that an intentional beanball deserves a beanball - it doesnt matter the caliber of the player at that point - that is the only way it ends.

and some times it doesnt, if the original team responds again because they still feel slighted (they usually are), that is when the mound gets charged. yah it may not always be even - but that is how it goes when you decide to plunk first. you have to take into consideration what the retaliation might be, how your best players are going to feel about it and weigh that vs how the player you are standing up for will feel if you dont brush someone back.

i do give credit to bonderman for making a statement by hitting him with the first pitch of the game and no outs (couse it backfired when he scored). but that is a stand up act for his player (guillen). if its me, i'm waiting till there are 2 outs and i'm going after Tex or Arod. the same point gets across.
            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Johnny Damon is apparently on waivers along with Inge. He's spendy, but I'd have to think somebody would be interested in picking him up for the stretch. He's actually exceeded expectations this year.
              Originally posted by dicaslover
              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Yeah, well, Inge isn't likely headed to St. Louis anymore. They went and got another 3rd baseman last night. Felipe Lopez, I think. Damon and Inge are both at the end of their contracts. No big deal, as far as I'm concerned.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Ugh. That was not a pretty collision at 1st. Laporta is hurt, Rhymes appears to be no worse for the wear. Nothing anybody could have done about that one once the catcher threw the ball. Bad throw that pulled Laporta's hand directly into the line of Rhymes' head.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I have no idea what Choo was doing there. I have no idea why Cabrera tried to take 2nd there, for that matter.

2-0 Tigers, bottom 1.

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Re: Detroit Tigers 2010, Part 2: Wanted: Hitting. Gerald Laird need not apply

Point of housekeeping here. This will be the last Detroit Tiger Season Thread for the foreseeable future. Upon the closing of this thread we will have a new format. There will be a Tiger thread, but it will not be defined by any season.

God, that was fun...

Comment

4-0 thru 2, but it could very easily be 6-0. Let's see if Galarraga can stop fighting his catchers long enough to give us 6-7 strong innings.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          Point of housekeeping here. This will be the last Detroit Tiger Season Thread for the foreseeable future. Upon the closing of this thread we will have a new format. There will be a Tiger thread, but it will not be defined by any season.
                          ummm. really?
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Yep. There isn't going to be a 2011 season thread. I'm going with something a little different. If one wraps across seasons, so be it. Trust me. It's not going to be bad. And you might actually like it.

God, that was fun...

Comment

funny pictures

6-0 final.

Don't worry. Giant Tiger and the Homer Light are coming to the new threads as well.

God, that was fun...

Comment

So apparently we're going to throw the ball all over the yard tonight. Errors lead to 2 of the first 3 runs of the game.

2-1 Tigers after 1.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X