Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammer
    replied
    Re: Detroit Tigers 2010, Part 2: Wanted: Hitting. Gerald Laird need not apply

Adrian-MSOE is next weekend. That one is going to take precedence, especially given their history.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    I'm not a big Zach Miner fan. I got the feeling he could get lit up big time in KC if he's not careful.

As for the back half of the Tiger rotation, it's shaping up to be two of the following: Phil Coke, Perfecto Boy, Bonderman, and..............Brad Penny?!?!? I don't know what kind of face to make here.
    Exactly. Can V go on two days rest?

Oh- are you going to be around next weekend... I'm getting.. thirsty.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

I'm not a big Zach Miner fan. I got the feeling he could get lit up big time in KC if he's not careful.

As for the back half of the Tiger rotation, it's shaping up to be two of the following: Phil Coke, Perfecto Boy, Bonderman, and..............Brad Penny?!?!? I don't know what kind of face to make here.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Zach Miner signs a minor league deal with KC. I hope it pans out for him. I was hoping he would have been invited back considering my confidence level in our bullpen and especially in the back half of our starting rotation is not high.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Bill Lajoie has died

He was the General Manager of the '84 Tigers. That makes 3 people associated with the '84 Tigers this year. Someone go check on Roger Craig, Alex Grammas and Chet Lemon.
    Henning's piece to Lajoie was pretty good,also. He did have an eye for talent. Tom Gage was spot on.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

Bill Lajoie has died

He was the General Manager of the '84 Tigers. That makes 3 people associated with the '84 Tigers this year. Someone go check on Roger Craig, Alex Grammas and Chet Lemon.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    And Gerald Laird ended up with the Cards as a backup. Good. He can strikeout somewhere else.
    Um. Yea!

Also, the Figaro era has ended in Detroit. Yawn.

Re: Maggs- I guess it is better than losing him. The Nats disturbed the salary ladder, sure, but I think this was more a case of slim pickins in the FA market now.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

And Gerald Laird ended up with the Cards as a backup. Good. He can strikeout somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

ESPN is reporting that Magglio has signed a 1-year deal for $10 mil. A little high, but we can thank the Nats and Jason Werth for at least some of that.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

I don't know why they wouldn't offer contracts to the other two. There's nothing wrong with keeping them under control of the franchise for next season. Now, to expect anything out of either of them is an entirely different matter altogether.

If we're gonna grab another arm for the bullpen, I'd be kicking the tires on Jon Rauch. I think the Twins non-tendered him, so we're not lighting a draft pick on fire if we do sign him. And I still want Magglio plus another bat. Since Jon Garland is gone, that would take care of my off-season wish-list, unless DD pulls a 2nd basemen out of his hat at the winter meetings.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Tigers designate Miner for assignment and have until Thursday to offer Zumaya and Gallaraga a contract offer or they will become FA's.
    Tough break for Zach, sometimes he is really good- but with Tommy John surgery it looks like this may be it for him.
    The other two... I think is a formality but we'll see.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Well, if we're not going to re-sign Magglio, I think the trade route is where we're headed. And even if we re-sign Magglio (looking less likely by the day), then I'm not convinced that our outfield would be set. Austin Jackson is likely headed for a step back, given his decline after May or so, and Boesch is still unproven, given his 2nd half slump last season. Now, once we go down that trade route, I have no idea what we're going to come home with, and what it's going to cost us. Maybe we soak the Marlins again. I don't know.

I'm not a big fan of signing 32 year old catchers in general, even though we did get away with murder with the Pudge deal. I don't think we'll be nearly as lucky with this one. Between Avila and the 8 catchers we drafted this year (that is not an exaggeration. We did draft 8 of them), you would have to think that one of them is going to win the job outright within 2 years. And then we've got a declining DH in Martinez.

Let's look at this team, minus the pitching:
    C - Avila/Martinez. We better hope Avila starts to hit, or we're going to be a defensive wreck here
    1B - Cabrera. I'm not even going to listen to a debate here
    2B - Uhhhhhh. We've got a potential mess here for the 2nd straight year. This shouldn't happen.
    SS - Peralta. Umm, okay for now. But not for very long.
    3B - Inge. I think we made a mistake in not upgrading one of these last two positions.
    CF - Jackson. I've got to believe that a sophomore slump is on the way
    RF - ???
    LF - ???

Do you really want to tie yourself to Brennan Boesch and whatever is behind Door #2 in the corner outfield spots? To count on Guillen for anything not named "disabled list" is silly at best. Right now LF and RF reads "Brennan Boesch/Casper Wells/Ryan Strieby/Ryan Raburn/Don Kelly". You pick any two of the four and that's where we're at. Now, there's some talent there in those first three names, but I'm not so sure that it's quite ready. If they are ready, then we're in great shape, but if we're not......

Now you know why I think we need at least one more bat before we go looking for more pitching. And it's not going to blow up our budget to do so, either. And the thing with Magglio is, he was still very productive for us right up until the leg went "SNAP". It wasn't like he fell off the face of the earth like he did when he was going through his personal problems the year before.
    I completely agree, but am scared to death if Dombrowski's answer is to just sign Maggs. He has to make a deal.
    He thinks the rotation is in good shape, and if any surprise arms develop, he could move Coke back to the bullpen. The Benoit deal is good depth, depending on how well papa loco returns.

So.. the infield...how many good 2b are available and at what price? Once again I think he addressed *1* issue with the Martinez signing and is going with duct tape and spit for the others. But, March is a long way off.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

Well, if we're not going to re-sign Magglio, I think the trade route is where we're headed. And even if we re-sign Magglio (looking less likely by the day), then I'm not convinced that our outfield would be set. Austin Jackson is likely headed for a step back, given his decline after May or so, and Boesch is still unproven, given his 2nd half slump last season. Now, once we go down that trade route, I have no idea what we're going to come home with, and what it's going to cost us. Maybe we soak the Marlins again. I don't know.

I'm not a big fan of signing 32 year old catchers in general, even though we did get away with murder with the Pudge deal. I don't think we'll be nearly as lucky with this one. Between Avila and the 8 catchers we drafted this year (that is not an exaggeration. We did draft 8 of them), you would have to think that one of them is going to win the job outright within 2 years. And then we've got a declining DH in Martinez.

Let's look at this team, minus the pitching:
    C - Avila/Martinez. We better hope Avila starts to hit, or we're going to be a defensive wreck here
    1B - Cabrera. I'm not even going to listen to a debate here
    2B - Uhhhhhh. We've got a potential mess here for the 2nd straight year. This shouldn't happen.
    SS - Peralta. Umm, okay for now. But not for very long.
    3B - Inge. I think we made a mistake in not upgrading one of these last two positions.
    CF - Jackson. I've got to believe that a sophomore slump is on the way
    RF - ???
    LF - ???

Do you really want to tie yourself to Brennan Boesch and whatever is behind Door #2 in the corner outfield spots? To count on Guillen for anything not named "disabled list" is silly at best. Right now LF and RF reads "Brennan Boesch/Casper Wells/Ryan Strieby/Ryan Raburn/Don Kelly". You pick any two of the four and that's where we're at. Now, there's some talent there in those first three names, but I'm not so sure that it's quite ready. If they are ready, then we're in great shape, but if we're not......

Now you know why I think we need at least one more bat before we go looking for more pitching. And it's not going to blow up our budget to do so, either. And the thing with Magglio is, he was still very productive for us right up until the leg went "SNAP". It wasn't like he fell off the face of the earth like he did when he was going through his personal problems the year before.
    Last edited by Hammer; 11-24-2010, 09:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Too much money for too many years. I guess I'm just not a fan of Victor Martinez in general. I would rather have had Adam Dunn for a (relatively) little more. If Avila shows anything with the bat, after this season they're going to have to teach Martinez to play outfield to get him in the lineup. Under any conditions, anyone who thinks Victor Martinez is going to be catching for the Tigers for year 3 of this contract drank too much of their lunch today. I would think that Dave Dombrowski drafted 8 catchers in this last draft for a very good reason.

I don't think picking up one more hitter is going to kill the budget, either. I still want Magglio back, at a reasonable price. We're still not in a position to be letting bats walk out the door. I still want Adam Dunn, too. I wouldn't put it past the Tigers to part ways with Carlos Guillen by the end of spring training, either, even if they grab a fork and some ketchup and eat his contract.

Oh, and the Twins non-tendered Jon Rauch. He might not be a bad pickup for the bullpen. We still need another arm there.
    Adam Dunn wants to play outfield in the NL. I think that was a deal killer. He'd get lost at Comerica, and didn't want to come here anyway.
    Martinez is a net gain over Laird, at least. Laird had lost his defensive prowess and never could hit. I don't like the length, either nor the fact that they probably could have gotten him for less. But he is the top catcher in the market.
    Problem is, we have enough guys now that probably need wheelchairs to get around the bases. Adding Magglio back into that mix is a risk, but we need an outfield bat. Werth isn't coming here, so who does that leave short of a trade?

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

Too much money for too many years. I guess I'm just not a fan of Victor Martinez in general. I would rather have had Adam Dunn for a (relatively) little more. If Avila shows anything with the bat, after this season they're going to have to teach Martinez to play outfield to get him in the lineup. Under any conditions, anyone who thinks Victor Martinez is going to be catching for the Tigers for year 3 of this contract drank too much of their lunch today. I would think that Dave Dombrowski drafted 8 catchers in this last draft for a very good reason.

I don't think picking up one more hitter is going to kill the budget, either. I still want Magglio back, at a reasonable price. We're still not in a position to be letting bats walk out the door. I still want Adam Dunn, too. I wouldn't put it past the Tigers to part ways with Carlos Guillen by the end of spring training, either, even if they grab a fork and some ketchup and eat his contract.

Oh, and the Twins non-tendered Jon Rauch. He might not be a bad pickup for the bullpen. We still need another arm there.
    Last edited by Hammer; 11-24-2010, 06:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X