No announcement yet.

Illegal Immigration IV: Amnesty For Some, Miniature American Flags For Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Illegal Immigration IV: Amnesty For Some, Miniature American Flags For Others

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The Nazis are here already.
    That's for sure.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Re: Illegal Immigration IV: Amnesty For Some, Miniature American Flags For Others

Guys, that's Hogan's Heroes reruns you've been watching again, not a reality TV show. Geesh.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Guys, that's Hogan's Heroes reruns you've been watching again, not a reality TV show. Geesh.
        You forget, Bob Crane died in Arizona. Coincidence?
        Very well, said.
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Net immigration to the U.S. from Mexico (combined legal and illegal) was negative from 2005 to 2010:
          (blurb) http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2012...-entering-u-s/
          (article) http://www.chron.com/default/article...ll-3504296.php

Obviously, this doesn't count people from other countries, but it's still an astonishing finding.
          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
            Net immigration to the U.S. from Mexico (combined legal and illegal) was negative from 2005 to 2010:
            (blurb) http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2012...-entering-u-s/
            (article) http://www.chron.com/default/article...ll-3504296.php

Obviously, this doesn't count people from other countries, but it's still an astonishing finding.
            Interesting, but not that surprising, given that the period chosen covers a large chunk of the economic nose dive, when it got a lot harder for illegals to find jobs in the States. I'd guess the first few years of that period there was still a major flow into the U.S., then a net outflow once the economy weakened.
            Very well, said.
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Was starting to watch this JT Ready (who was exploring running for sherrif) case with interest.

On one hand, he started a patrol to make parts of AZ safer...on the other hand, it seems he was a white supremicist. So after a multiple homicide where he was a casualty...was he a crazed assassin or was he the nobile batman type victim as some claimed of a drug cartel hit.

Its starting to appear like the former at least that's what the newspapers are saying.

A gunman, identified by local media as a prominent border militia leader and a reputed neo-Nazi, shot dead four people in Arizona on Wednesday before apparently committing suicide, police said.

It appears his GF and her sister (both casualties) were Hispanic...which seems a bit odd for a white supremicist. The last victim was a one year old.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

This is probably not primarily attributable to immigration, but: In a first, census figures show minorities make up more than half of babies born in US
                http://www.startribune.com/nation/151925385.html

WASHINGTON - For the first time, racial and ethnic minorities make up more than half the children born in the U.S., capping decades of heady immigration growth that is now slowing.

New 2011 census estimates highlight a historic shift underway in the nation's racial makeup. They mark a transformation in a country once dominated by whites and bitterly divided over slavery and civil rights, even as it wrestles now over the question of restricting immigration.
                Coincidentally and observational only, my 8 y.o. had his 2nd grade musical tonight at school and I noticed the in the program there were more Nguyens than Andersons, Petersons and Johnsons combined (and not a Smith to be found). Interesting given this is Minne-SODA.

Comment

This has been coming for quite a while. But since we're becoming a multicultural society with lots of interracial kids, will these monikers matter in the future??
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    This has been coming for quite a while. But since we're becoming a multicultural society with lots of interracial kids, will these monikers matter in the future??
                    Probably will from a political pov, until elected officials really understand who they are...and from what I can guess, they don't today.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      I doubt it. Nobody keeps track of who is half Irish and half Italian, both of which groups were considered "racial minorities" in the 19th century.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I doubt it. Nobody keeps track of who is half Irish and half Italian, both of which groups were considered "racial minorities" in the 19th century.
                        I'd like to agree with you, but I'm not convinced we're that far along, or will be in the foreseeable future.
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                          I'd like to agree with you, but I'm not convinced we're that far along, or will be in the foreseeable future.
                          Well, he did say "the future." I may be taking a longer view.

Brazilian society has a really weird concept of race. I wouldn't say it's healthy -- there's an implied hierarchy where the whiter you are the higher status you are. But it's interesting because cross-racial mating has been a norm for so long that "race" is now almost completely a matter of what you want to choose to accentuate. I'd say the similarity is how Americans think about ethnicity, where we usually have a choice of a half dozen possibilities and we tend to identify ourselves as the one which we think is the most "interesting."

It also leads to the eventual healthy conclusion that "race" is as meaningless as nationality.

And if you are familiar with Brazilians, it also leads to Unbelievably Attractive Human Beings.

I think we are perhaps two generations away from completely discarding the concept and all references to race and just letting it "float free." There will still be backwaters that are really heavily invested in seeing themselves as white (or non-white), but I think we will do ourselves a real favor when we no longer have any reference to it in our laws. We certainly needed affirmative action for a while to make up for slavery and Jim Crow, and we still will as long as there is a critical mass of idiots who still care about race. But that time is passing, and they are literally dying off and taking their prejudices with them.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 05-18-2012, 10:00 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Brazilian society has a really weird concept of race. I wouldn't say it's healthy -- there's an implied hierarchy where the whiter you are the higher status you are. But it's interesting because cross-racial mating has been a norm for so long that "race" is now almost completely a matter of what you want to choose to accentuate. I'd say the similarity is how Americans think about ethnicity, where we usually have a choice of a half dozen possibilities and we tend to identify ourselves as the one which we think is the most "interesting."

It also leads to the eventual healthy conclusion that "race" is as meaningless as nationality.

And if you are familiar with Brazilians, it also leads to Unbelievably Attractive Human Beings.
                            That is an interesting aspect to Brazil. I'm not sure we'll reach that point for a good while yet. Agreed that you're taking a real "long" term view. Even then, I'm not as optimistic as you though.
                            Very well, said.
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Then there is this from that noted news source....

CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Seems there's been significant progress on the Hispanic/illegal immigration front to the exclusion of other immigration issues:

New Asian immigrants to US now surpass Hispanics - Fox

For the first time, the influx of Asians moving to the U.S. has surpassed that of Hispanics, reflecting a slowdown in illegal immigration while American employers increase their demand for high-skilled workers.

An expansive study by the Pew Research Center details what it describes as "the rise of Asian-Americans," a highly diverse and fast-growing group making up nearly 6 percent of the U.S. population. Mostly foreign-born and naturalized citizens, their numbers have been boosted by increases in visas granted to specialized workers and to wealthy investors as the U.S. economy becomes driven less by manufacturing and more by technology.

"Too often the policy debates on immigration fixate on just one part — illegal immigration," said Karthick Ramakrishnan, a political science professor at the University of California-Riverside and a fellow at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. "U.S. immigration is more diverse and broader than that, with policy that needs to focus also on high-skilled workers."

"With net migration from Mexico now at zero, the role of Asian-Americans has become more important," he said.

About 430,000 Asians, or 36 percent of all new immigrants, arrived in the U.S. in 2010, according to the latest census data. That's compared to about 370,000, or 31 percent, who were Hispanic.

The Pew analysis, released Tuesday, said the tipping point for Asian immigrants likely occurred during 2009 as illegal immigrants crossing the border from Mexico sharply declined due to increased immigration enforcement and a dwindling supply of low-wage work in the weak U.S. economy. Many Mexicans already in the U.S. have also been heading back to their country, putting recent net migration at a standstill.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X