No announcement yet.

Illegal Immigration IV: Amnesty For Some, Miniature American Flags For Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Illegal Immigration IV: Amnesty For Some, Miniature American Flags For Others

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    If only Obama supported policing our borders half as much as he supports mosques near Ground Zero.
    Not to nitpick, but his "support" of mosques near Ground Zero was really more of the "well, we have freedom of religion here, so they have the same right to build as anyone else" variety. Honestly, I'm not sure what's so controversial about that.

But that's beside the point. The point is that he seems to have very little interest in actually enforcing our own immigration laws.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: Illegal Immigration IV: Amnesty For Some, Miniature American Flags For Others

And Border Patrol agents in Cochise County, Arizona are now being told to not go to some areas along the border in Cochise County, as the border is too dangerous for them:

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/bord...9556f8fe7.html
      Originally posted by Priceless
      Good to see you're so reasonable.
      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
      Very well, said.
      Originally posted by Rover
      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Not to nitpick, but his "support" of mosques near Ground Zero was really more of the "well, we have freedom of religion here, so they have the same right to build as anyone else" variety. Honestly, I'm not sure what's so controversial about that.

But that's beside the point. The point is that he seems to have very little interest in actually enforcing our own immigration laws.
        He inserted a clear viewpoint that would say it's fine to build the mosque. If only we'd have a clear viewpoint from him for us here in Arizona that demonstrates the willpower to secure our border.
        Very well, said.
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

He inserted a clear viewpoint that would say it's fine to build the mosque. If only we'd have a clear viewpoint from him for us here in Arizona that demonstrates the willpower to secure our border.
          Why wouldn't he say that its fine to build a mosque there? On what legal grounds can it be opposed?

While there is certainly controversy (namely: insensitivity) in building a mosque there, from a legal perspective its on par with Main St. businesses opposing the construction of a WalMart nearby (with the added wrinkle of the religious freedom afforded by our Constitutional rights). The small business owners have every right to protest, but WalMart still has every right to proceed anyway.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Can we leave the Ground Zero talk out of this...
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Why wouldn't he say that its fine to build a mosque there? On what legal grounds can it be opposed?

While there is certainly controversy (namely: insensitivity) in building a mosque there, from a legal perspective its on par with Main St. businesses opposing the construction of a WalMart nearby (with the added wrinkle of the religious freedom afforded by our Constitutional rights). The small business owners have every right to protest, but WalMart still has every right to proceed anyway.
              There are all sorts of things he doesn't weigh in on that he could. He purposely chose to weigh in on this issue. Lots of other issues he purposely chooses to not weigh in on.

I'm not even saying I have an issue with it, just that he showed more purpose in his comments on that than I've ever seen him do in regard to doing anything positive on the border.
              Very well, said.
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

There are all sorts of things he doesn't weigh in on that he could. He purposely chose to weigh in on this issue. Lots of other issues he purposely chooses to not weigh in on.

I'm not even saying I have an issue with it, just that he showed more purpose in his comments on that than I've ever seen him do in regard to doing anything positive on the border.
                Yeah, I can definately see that.

Comment

2010 Harry Reid, you're against a birthright citizenship amendment.

For a counterpoint, let's go to:
                  1993 Harry Reid!

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qqyeb-5ZfEc?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qqyeb-5ZfEc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

It's like formidable opponent from the Colbert Report, only with a moron.

Comment

While I support the idea behind birthright citizenship, it's clear there have been some serious abuses of it as far as using it to skirt the law. I'm not sure if I'm in favor of getting rid of it altogether, but some reform seems to be in order.

Perhaps not granting citizenship immediately, but making it much, much easier to attain citizenship when the child reaches majority age?
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Another Mexico drug-related story here in AZ. These kinds of stories are quite commonplace.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...-bust0818.html
                      Very well, said.
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                        While I support the idea behind birthright citizenship, it's clear there have been some serious abuses of it as far as using it to skirt the law. I'm not sure if I'm in favor of getting rid of it altogether, but some reform seems to be in order.

Perhaps not granting citizenship immediately, but making it much, much easier to attain citizenship when the child reaches majority age?
                        Reform is needed, but there is always a part of us as Americans that harken back to when Immigration was a different beast and one of our relatives (most likely) was the "First X born in America" and how revered that status was. Stuff like that clouds the issue.

Anchor Babies is a whole new weapon though and makes the issue even murkier. While I dont buy into some theories like that Looney Rep from Texas puts out about Al-Qaida Terrorist Babies, it is true that illegals are having kids in America to avoid going home and that can't be allowed. I agree with you an age needs to be picked, an amount of time to grant full citizenship. How long does it take for a legal immigrant to gain citizenship? Maybe when the kid reaches that age they take the oath and there ya go.

Honestly though, I just don't know what to do about the problem.

Oh andd Harry Reid is a dumb#$#% always has been always will be!
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Reform is needed, but there is always a part of us as Americans that harken back to when Immigration was a different beast and one of our relatives (most likely) was the "First X born in America" and how revered that status was. Stuff like that clouds the issue.

Anchor Babies is a whole new weapon though and makes the issue even murkier. While I dont buy into some theories like that Looney Rep from Texas puts out about Al-Qaida Terrorist Babies, it is true that illegals are having kids in America to avoid going home and that can't be allowed. I agree with you an age needs to be picked, an amount of time to grant full citizenship. How long does it take for a legal immigrant to gain citizenship? Maybe when the kid reaches that age they take the oath and there ya go.

Oh andd Harry Reid is a dumb#$#% always has been always will be!
                          All that really needs to happen to try to end Anchor Babies is for Congress to pass a law putting an end to it. This, of course, would get challenged in court and I could see the definition of "native born" going back to the original one used when drafting the amendment.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
                          If someone is born unto illegal aliens they are hardly subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. There are writings from the framers of the 14th Amendment stating how it doesn't apply to those that come from a foreign country and only to slaves that were already here. Given the makeup of the current court I could see this view winning.

All this talk of a new amendment is more of a political ploy as they know that it will never go anywhere.
                          "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

How about: if you're born here to illegal immigrants, you don't get immediate citizenship, but you can opt-in when you turn 18. In the meantime, neither the baby nor his parents have the right to remain in the US - the same as the day before the birth.

Something of a compromise - every child born in the US can still have citizenship, but removes quite a lot of the incentive for anchor babies.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              How about: if you're born here to illegal immigrants, you don't get immediate citizenship, but you can opt-in when you turn 18. In the meantime, neither the baby nor his parents have the right to remain in the US - the same as the day before the birth.

Something of a compromise - every child born in the US can still have citizenship, but removes quite a lot of the incentive for anchor babies.
                              I kind of like this idea.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Something like that would work.

Even if the parents aren't citizens, but are still legal residents (ie: they have a visa), I'm okay with giving citizenship to newborns.

Comment

Working...
                                X