Hiking/Camping Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiking/Camping Advice

I've mentioned it a lot on the travel thread, but we have our timeline figured out for our trip to Utah/Arizona in the fall. We're flying in and out of Vegas and have basically 10 days to drive around and see some of the awesome sights including the national parks...

We plan on camping for much of the trip and we'll also be doing a little hiking (nothing more than 3-4 miles).

I'm looking to compile a list of essential things we'll need for hiking and camping. Keeping in mind that we plan to camp at campgrounds, rather than out in the wilderness. From the most obvious to the 'I probably wouldn't think of that', what would you recommend we bring?

Other things to consider is we'll be dragging some photography equipment and the weather could vary from very hot during the day to cold during the evenings.

Re: Hiking/Camping Advice

Never go wrong with having a half roll of TP with ya.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Get a whistle.

Comment

A few feet of Duct Tape and a good first aid kit...
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          I thought the few feet of duct tape were the first aid kit.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            Scotch Duct Tape.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
              we'll also be doing a little hiking (nothing more than 3-4 miles).
              That's called walking.

Not that you're old Gibber, but at your age if you don't know what the essentials are I'd recommend camping at the Motel 6. You won't even have to remember to leave the light on.
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                That's called walking.
                Depends on the elevation gain and terrain. 3-4 miles with rugged terrain and high elevation gain (both of which we have a lot of here in the west) can be a tough hike.

As to what to take, it's hard to make a list of everything. A couple thoughts would include making sure you have good sun protection, as you can get burned pretty good even when outdoors for relatively short periods of time.
                Make sure you've got sufficient water/water containers. If it's still during our monsoon season here, make sure your tent is very waterproof, or have a tarp to string up over it. My wife and I made the mistake of not putting up the tarp (over our somewhat waterproof tent) one time last summer near Flagstaff and we got hit by a big storm. Not good.
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Tent
                  Sleeping Bag
                  Sleeping Pad
                  Groundcloth/stakes/poles for tent
                  Stove
                  Whatever dishes you'll need to eat if you are cooking
                  Cleaning supplies if you are cooking
                  Water jug
                  Water purifiers if you'll need them
                  Bug spray
                  Knife
                  Rope
                  First Aid kit
                  Duct tape (wrapped around a pencil or pen is the best way to not take a whole roll)
                  Flashlights
                  Toiletries
                  They make camp towels which dry much faster and are much lighter than your normal bath or beach towel if you want to get one of those
                  Matches/lighter

Comment

Careful with the scented toiletries in case of wildlife.

Best thing we had was a wind up flashlight and radio. No batteries to go dead. Coleman has a few good ones.

Comment

For flashlights, definitely the LED kind. Darn near indestructible.

Take more water than you need, and a container full of ice for when you want something refreshing later. Suntan lotion or spray, obviously, and a pair of polarized sunglasses - maybe a wide-brim hat too. Definitely bring a good first-aid kit, and bring superglue too (and/or some liquid bandage solution.) For soap, look into Camp Suds.

Other than that, I'd suggest a guide to local plants and birds, if you're into that sort of thing. Have fun!
                      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

If car camping, cots are a superb add to the list. Just being a couple inches off the ground helps in the cold and especially in the rain. Way better than a pad!

Synthetic wicking clothing
                        Broken in shoes/boots
                        Clean, high quality socks
                        Tilly Hat or similar
                        Camelback 100oz of water
                        More Cowbell!

Comment

Originally posted by HATSOFF View Post
                          If car camping, cots are a superb add to the list. Just being a couple inches off the ground helps in the cold and especially in the rain. Way better than a pad!

Synthetic wicking clothing
                          Broken in shoes/boots
                          Clean, high quality socks

Tilly Hat or similar
                          Camelback 100oz of water
                          This. Don't expect to buy boots right beforehand and think they'll be good, no matter how comfy they are in the store. Also, if the boots don't quite feel right in the store, no matter the price, skip them and get ones that do feel right.
                          Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                          I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                          Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Vagisil

Comment

Garbage bags, if there are not garbage receptacles in the campground.

Pocketknife.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                              X