Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help on what to do in Europe

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Sort of. Using US$ as an example, if the bill came to $19.59 I could leave a $50 bill and that would have been acceptable as payment and a tip. But leaving $40 would have been seen as rude, not because of the lesser value of the tip, but because I grabbed a second bill to make the tip.

What's good to note is that Europeans use coins to much larger denominations that we do here. So when I was pulling out change, it wasn't just some paltry amount.
    Note to self: either never go to Austria, or get use to insulting a lot of people.

That's just messed up.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Sort of. Using US$ as an example, if the bill came to $19.59 I could leave a $50 bill and that would have been acceptable as payment and a tip. But leaving $40 would have been seen as rude, not because of the lesser value of the tip, but because I grabbed a second bill to make the tip.

What's good to note is that Europeans use coins to much larger denominations that we do here. So when I was pulling out change, it wasn't just some paltry amount.
      Are you sure? Both times I was there I was told to round up to the nearest euro. And this was by someone who has been there probably 20-30 times.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Are you sure? Both times I was there I was told to round up to the nearest euro. And this was by someone who has been there probably 20-30 times.
        Yeah, I'm not tipping $30 on a $20 meal.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH '00 View Post
          Hey everyone,

Thanks again for the help on Hawaii but it looks like the honeymoon is going the other way...

We're spending a few days in Barcelona and then on a cruise that stops in Rome (ITA), Florence (ITA), Nice (FRA) and Toulon (FRA).

If you have been to Italy, France or Spain and have a favorite restaurant, meal, site, tour, memory, etc etc... share!!!

Also have a quick layover in Zurich (SUI)... so close to the German border I can probably get a good beer there, no? Let me know how you killed time there if you've been.... staying long enough to do something at the airport but not long enough to leave and come back.
          My one piece of advice I always give is look for hole in the wall restaurants. I can't even begin to tell you how many places like this I've been to the from the outside might not look like the greatest places to eat, but once you try their food, you don't regret it.

Like here, a lot of places will have their menu outside to review, but I have not failed with this method yet.
          04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
          USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
          I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
          Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
          I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Originally posted by ajoyce02 View Post
            My one piece of advice I always give is look for hole in the wall restaurants. I can't even begin to tell you how many places like this I've been to the from the outside might not look like the greatest places to eat, but once you try their food, you don't regret it.

Like here, a lot of places will have their menu outside to review, but I have not failed with this method yet.
            Watch any European episode of "Three Sheets." That should help, also.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              That's the information I got from my Let's Go Europe travel guide, the 2000 edition, prior to the conversion to the Euro. My buddy with whom I traveled owns the copy, but I'm pretty certain on this. I caused an insult one way, and the waitress informing me of this, and my friend got hijacked the other way. Finally, we found the tipping guide for Austria, and they said that if you placed a Schilling note on the table in excess of your bill, do not expect to receive any change - that's considered gratuity.

In the case of my buddy, he laid down a tip that essentially doubled the cost of his meal. At the time, the USD/Austrian Schilling exchange rate was ~$1:14 Schilling, about 60-70% in favor of a stronger USD than normal. So it wasn't a huge loss, but we took note.

Note: Most European economies weren't so hot in 2000, and the US was still doing well, pre-tech bubble burst, so pretty much the whole of Europe was a giant fire sale. We weren't too concerned about that one bad tipping lesson.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Whatever you do, do NOT ask for the FLŰGGÅƏNK∂€ČHIŒâØL∫ÊN.
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                  Whatever you do, do NOT ask for the FLŰGGÅƏNK∂€ČHIŒâØL∫ÊN.
                  And there's no fahrvergnügen in the weinerschnitzel room.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Watch any European episode of "Three Sheets." That should help, also.
                    If nothing else, just watch to partake in the drinking game.
                    04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
                    USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
                    I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
                    Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
                    I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Working...
                    X