Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toyota Prius

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
    There's a reason the European carmakers have largely stayed away from hybrids. Diesel technology has improved remarkably over the past few decades to burn cleaner and deliver more power, while also providing solid MPG. Audi regularly races diesels at LeMans and other races, and often wins with them. Moreover, I would suggest the current diesel technology is much more refined than hybrid technology at this point.
    Agreed. But I would, since I work for one of the biggest diesel engine companys in the world.
    The next step is diesel hybrids, which could provide some really impressive fuel mileage.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The name Prius sounds.. kinda... fruity.
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
        The name Prius sounds.. kinda... fruity.
        Well, think of the target market. Toyota doesn't have dummies in their marketing group.

Comment

I drove a Prius for 18 days while my truck was in the shop for some repairs...

For a compact car, it was roomy up front... Lots of open space and a good amount of storage... It took a bit to get used to the modern styling on the dashboard however... Still didn't like it... I like my gauges in front... The keyless ignition also took some getting used to, but in the end was rather convenient... Overall I would give the interior styling and comfort a "B"...

Engine-wise, I didn't really buy into the hybrid concept... According to the electronics in the dash, I was only getting about 40-44MPG average... This was about 75% highway, 25% City driving... The car did lag a bit on hard acceleration, like you would get at an on-ramp... Didn't experiment with the different engine modes at all... Not sure if those will help milage... Also, with my driving style, the batteries never seemed to regain full charge... They would be 75-80% full all the time... Not sure what this means in the long run... It just left the impression that I was slowly draining the batteries...

Overall, it was a nice little car, but not my cup of tea... I think that there are better options out there design-wise... I'm also not sold on the milage thing as I only seemed to gain a small amount...
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Whats the price difference between a Corolla and a Prius?, how much gas can you buy with the difference
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
              There's a reason the European carmakers have largely stayed away from hybrids. Diesel technology has improved remarkably over the past few decades to burn cleaner and deliver more power, while also providing solid MPG. Audi regularly races diesels at LeMans and other races, and often wins with them. Moreover, I would suggest the current diesel technology is much more refined than hybrid technology at this point.
              It also helps that
              a) gasoline is much more heavily taxed in the EU than diesel.
              b) the ACO wrote the rules for LeMans (and was followed by ALMS) to heavily favor diesels.

It's true that they've gotten a LOT better, but I also know that over the next 6 year, they are going to have to get quite a bit better than they are now for them to survive. At least in the cheaper end of the car market. Between the EU, CARB, and EPA- the emission rules, particularly particulate matter regulation, is getting a lot tighter. It's already below visible smoke, and will be 30% of the current US standard across the two markets by the end of the decade. Really tough to do.

While internal combustion engines will not be going away anytime soon, the next 10 years will be very interesting.

As for the prius- whether you buy new or used, be honest with yourself WRT cost- will the premium for the hybrid be enough to justify or not? They do have their compromises, although the later the car you get, the better. Also consider the Civic, Camry, and Fusion hybrids for less compromise, if that is the direction you really want to go.

Remember, right now each $1000 will get you 300 gal of gas, and that becomes a lot of miles to make up when you are talking even 50mpg vs. 30mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                Also, with my driving style, the batteries never seemed to regain full charge... They would be 75-80% full all the time... Not sure what this means in the long run... It just left the impression that I was slowly draining the batteries...
                I don't think that's your driving style - that's part of the design. The batteries have to have storage capacity available to accept energy from the regenerative braking, so the management system makes sure they're never fully topped off. It's not designed to have an all-electric mode, so it doesn't need full batteries to get the range.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  I don't think that's your driving style - that's part of the design. The batteries have to have storage capacity available to accept energy from the regenerative braking, so the management system makes sure they're never fully topped off. It's not designed to have an all-electric mode, so it doesn't need full batteries to get the range.
                  Yeah I've never seen it at 100%, 70-80% is usually the range it stays around.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Remember, right now each $1000 will get you 300 gal of gas, and that becomes a lot of miles to make up when you are talking even 50mpg vs. 30mpg.
                    And when you run the numbers with the upcoming Volt and a Chevy Cruze, you're looking at a payback somewhere in the 200,000 mile range.
                    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                      I thought about it myself until I read in Consumer Reports that in cold weather climates, the hybrid system doesn't work nearly as well
                      One of my father's coworkers in Maine has a Prius. He gets well under 40mpg between December and March.
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                        One of my father's coworkers in Maine has a Prius. He gets well under 40mpg between December and March.
                        Tons of Prius in Maine, they're everywhere. I'll bet they're great in snow
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

FWIW, I test drove a Prius yesterday, did not like the ride, and decided not to get one.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                          X