Computer question Part -1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer question Part -1

Me too...hell even when AVG is scanning the full drive my machine is fast as heck.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      I'd definitely recommend staying away from any Norton or McAfee products, as their "solutions" are often worse than the problems they aim to prevent.
      I agree. I use AVG (free version) and am happy with it. Mr. Hit uses AV by Computer Associates which he has been very happy with as well.

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      I agree with that.

I still run AVG at home and have zero issues. 100% run the free version. Their pay version is getting to be almost as bad as the others with all the crap they shove into it.

I hear good things about Microsoft Security Essentials as well.
      This is good to know, AVG keeps asking me if I want to upgrade to the pay version.
      Orginally Posted by Sloe Gin - Legal is the Queen of the board.

Race Diva and "Ruler of the South"

Originally posted by UMDbulldogs#1
      I must say that I was impressed by the amount of alcohol she coud handle.

Originally posted by Markt
      That almost lifts the sadness of realizing just how far out of my league Legal is. Almost.

Comment

If you do decide to go with Symantec, you're doing it wrong if you ever pay for a subscription. You buy it once and then get the upgrades with a year of service for free with rebates. We did that for years before the choices were there.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Two Questions:

I just got a new computer, a Toshiba L459 running Window 7 Home Premium.

(1) I want to move my music from my old computer to my new computer. I followed the directions and things were going fine until I tried to move the music from the iPod to the new computer. When I plug the iPod into the new computer, the computer doesn't even seem to recognize it's there -- it doesn't show up on "My Computer". But when I open "Devices and Printers", the iPod shows up with a warning (a yellow triangle with a "!"). When I right click on the iPod icon, a menu with the warning and "Troubleshoot" appears. When I click on that, it goes through a troubleshooting routine, then I get a message "Windows is currently removing USB Mass storage device". When I click on "View Details", in the "Device Status" box, there is a message "Windows is uninstalling this device. (Code 21)"

Anybody have any suggestions?

(2) I tried to make an entry in the Apple discussion group. It asks me to log in. When I click on Log In, it sends me into "Create a New User Account". I fill in the information, accept the conditions, and it just loops me back to the "Create a New User Account" page. I know that I'm not logged in, because it still refers to me as "guest", and I know that I have my password correct, because I just reset it.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong (or not doing right)?

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
            Two Questions:

I just got a new computer, a Toshiba L459 running Window 7 Home Premium.

(1) I want to move my music from my old computer to my new computer. I followed the directions and things were going fine until I tried to move the music from the iPod to the new computer. When I plug the iPod into the new computer, the computer doesn't even seem to recognize it's there -- it doesn't show up on "My Computer". But when I open "Devices and Printers", the iPod shows up with a warning (a yellow triangle with a "!"). When I right click on the iPod icon, a menu with the warning and "Troubleshoot" appears. When I click on that, it goes through a troubleshooting routine, then I get a message "Windows is currently removing USB Mass storage device". When I click on "View Details", in the "Device Status" box, there is a message "Windows is uninstalling this device. (Code 21)"

Anybody have any suggestions?

(2) I tried to make an entry in the Apple discussion group. It asks me to log in. When I click on Log In, it sends me into "Create a New User Account". I fill in the information, accept the conditions, and it just loops me back to the "Create a New User Account" page. I know that I'm not logged in, because it still refers to me as "guest", and I know that I have my password correct, because I just reset it.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong (or not doing right)?
            (1) Have you installed the iTunes software? Knowing that apple tends to make their devices like a black box, I doubt you'd be able to transfer data using various portable Apple technology. Either install iTunes or get a flash drive to do your dirty work.

(2) Are you using the right user name?
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
              (1) Have you installed the iTunes software? Knowing that apple tends to make their devices like a black box, I doubt you'd be able to transfer data using various portable Apple technology. Either install iTunes or get a flash drive to do your dirty work.
              Yeah, installed it, de-installed it, and installed it again.

(2) Are you using the right user name?
              Yes, it's my email.

Thanks for the suggestions. At least now I know it doesn't look like something really stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                Thanks for the suggestions. At least now I know it doesn't look like something really stupid.
                well, I'm not trying to treat you like an idiot either but details are details.

I'm out of ideas.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Patman is right. Apple is way beyond draconian when it comes to these kind of things. My guess is it has something to do with the binding of the music library and iPod to a single computer. Or at least that's part of it.

Or are these music files mp3s that were ripped from a CD using an application (not iTunes)? If they were not bought through iTunes then my idea is likely irrelevant.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I don't think you can export libraries from the ipod to a new computer if all you did was sync it with the old computer's itunes library.

You have to treat the ipod as a USB drive and load everything on manually through the copying and pasting of files from one directory to another.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman
                      well, I'm not trying to treat you like an idiot either but details are details.

I'm out of ideas.
                      Didn't take it that way. I was just relieved that I didn't have a problem that could be resolved by one of those "Is it plugged in?" sort of suggestions that I've had more of than I care to admit.
                      Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Patman is right. Apple is way beyond draconian when it comes to these kind of things. My guess is it has something to do with the binding of the music library and iPod to a single computer. Or at least that's part of it.

Or are these music files mp3s that were ripped from a CD using an application (not iTunes)? If they were not bought through iTunes then my idea is likely irrelevant.
                      Some of them were ripped, but many of them were bought through ITunes. I do think that your suggestion about the binding is right, though. I was able to transfer the files using a thumb drive as the intermediary device (or rather my wife did; I took out my frustrations on some poor innocent weeds in my lawn and my garden). Now I'll try to figure out the binding problem. I think doing that switch was where I made a mistake.

Edit: unofan, our postings crossed. That's what the Apple reccomended procedure does, essentially. I wish I had used thumb drives rather than trying to use the iPod as the transport device. With all the settings you have to change, there's a lot of opportunity for error. Thanks again to all of you.
                      Last edited by CLS; 08-02-2010, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        I agree with that.

I still run AVG at home and have zero issues. 100% run the free version. Their pay version is getting to be almost as bad as the others with all the crap they shove into it.

I hear good things about Microsoft Security Essentials as well.
                        Avast! is another good one. Good at blocking nasties from websites.

Avast! + ZoneAlarm + Firefox + NoScript = pretty much as safe as you can get.
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                        X