Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer question Part -1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Computer question Part -1

    -1 because i haven't bought it yet....

    I'm putting all my ducks in a row before I buy my computer... could be tomorrow... could be another month.

    I was wondering what the deal is nowadays with anti-virus software and things along those lines. Is it still AVG all the way or something else? We're looking at a Windows 7 based operating system.

    I think at this point I'm buying (HP) as opposed to building... I'd rather build, but in the end its just too confusing and I don't want to screw it up (more the ordering than the building).
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

    Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey


    NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

  • #2
    Re: Computer question Part -1

    I got Kaspersky and I like it much better than AVG/Symantec. Easier to use, customize, etc.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Computer question Part -1

      I have AVG on Windows 7. Seems fine to me. I also have Spybot that I run maybe once a month. Windows Firewall and Defender are on as well. I've never had anything more than tracking cookies on my system. No point in paying for any AV product, IMO.
      Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
      Exhibit A | Exhibit B

      Help Cure MS
      sigpic
      Donate

      Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
      1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006


      Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Computer question Part -1

        Originally posted by icebadger View Post
        I have AVG on Windows 7. Seems fine to me. I also have Spybot that I run maybe once a month. Windows Firewall and Defender are on as well. I've never had anything more than tracking cookies on my system. No point in paying for any AV product, IMO.
        Almost forgot. AdAware is also very good at catching some leftovers.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Computer question Part -1

          MalwareBytes is the single greatest product known to man (as a weekly or bi-weekly tool, not as an antivirus product). Catches things all the others don't.

          As the IT guy at work, it's the first software I use in the opening salvo against computers the users decide to muck up with malware.

          Honestly though, if you go the symantec route, try to get a corporate edition rather than any kind of home version. The home versions are AWFUL.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Computer question Part -1

            You see, I'm generally against purchasing a yearly service... if I wanted to rely on them I wouldn't bother with this thread. In the past I've had my UConn student status to allow me to get Symantec for free. I don't have that anymore.

            So, if I have to pay, I'd like it to be a one-time shot... but barring that free would be nice.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

            Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey


            NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Computer question Part -1

              Originally posted by Patman View Post
              You see, I'm generally against purchasing a yearly service... if I wanted to rely on them I wouldn't bother with this thread. In the past I've had my UConn student status to allow me to get Symantec for free. I don't have that anymore.

              So, if I have to pay, I'd like it to be a one-time shot... but barring that free would be nice.
              I can get either Symantec or McAfee free through work. Census doesn't do a similar thing?
              sigpic

              Let's Go 'Tute!

              Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

              2012 Poser Of The Year

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Computer question Part -1

                Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                I can get either Symantec or McAfee free through work. Census doesn't do a similar thing?
                probably not... I'll have to investigate if I can.

                Can't assume that all federal agencies will behave the same... I'm not at work right now.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

                Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey


                NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Computer question Part -1

                  i use Microsoft Security Essentials at home. it is free, and is supposed to be one of the best. i know tech blogs like lifehacker and downloadsquad recommend it.
                  Landcows Fan

                  Minnesota State University Class of 2004

                  Edgar

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Computer question Part -1

                    Back in my "Windows days", I would use Avast!, as well as some other free progams to nail spyware, and other non-virals. I have read favorable reviews of the Microsoft product. However, one caveat is that the near complete integration of the product, Windows and IE could be its weak spot.

                    Even though I use a Mac at home, I decided to use Intego as any added layer of defense, since it includes a firewall, AV and other malware defenses. And the bad guys are usually a step or two ahead of the good guys. Moreover, I figure Steve Jobs will **** someone off enough at some point that Macs and iPhones will be the next big target for the "Black Hats".

                    I would recommend checking with your IT department to see if they don't have "employee" versions for use at home, especially if you may work from home at times. We offer it for a McAfee product.
                    Last edited by ScottM; 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM.
                    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

                    "I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Computer question Part -1

                      Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                      Back in my "Windows days", I would use Avast!, as well as some other free progams to nail spyware, and other non-virals. I have read favorable reviews of the Microsoft product. However, one caveat is that the near complete integration of the product, Windows and IE could be its weak spot.

                      Even though I use a Mac at home, I decided to use Intego as any added layer of defense, since it includes a firewall, AV and other malware defenses. And the bad guys are usually a step or two ahead of the good guys. Moreover, I figure Steve Jobs will **** someone off enough at some point that Macs and iPhones will be the next big target for the "Black Hats".

                      I would recommend checking with your IT department to see if they don't have "employee" versions for use at home, especially if you may work from home at times. We offer it for a McAfee product.
                      I'd definitely recommend staying away from any Norton or McAfee products, as their "solutions" are often worse than the problems they aim to prevent.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Computer question Part -1

                        Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        I'd definitely recommend staying away from any Norton or McAfee products, as their "solutions" are often worse than the problems they aim to prevent.
                        I agree with that.

                        I still run AVG at home and have zero issues. 100% run the free version. Their pay version is getting to be almost as bad as the others with all the crap they shove into it.

                        I hear good things about Microsoft Security Essentials as well.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

                        Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Computer question Part -1

                          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          I agree with that.

                          I still run AVG at home and have zero issues. 100% run the free version. Their pay version is getting to be almost as bad as the others with all the crap they shove into it.

                          I hear good things about Microsoft Security Essentials as well.
                          I've got the pay AVG, I have no issues with it but then I don't load every thing that comes along like some folks do. My wife has free AVG and Vista on her laptop and its the slowest thing around
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

                          Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Computer question Part -1

                            Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            I've got the pay AVG, I have no issues with it but then I don't load every thing that comes along like some folks do. My wife has free AVG and Vista on her laptop and its the slowest thing around
                            Probably something else wrong then cause I have the same setup and my machine is fast.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

                            Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Computer question Part -1

                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Probably something else wrong then cause I have the same setup and my machine is fast.
                              I think you're right, it needs a format to get rid of the crap she has loaded on to it
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

                              Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X