Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new/rented movies: DEVASTATOR!!!!!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    The Basterds really got short shrift in the film.
    So true. Good movie, but they spent so much time (ESPECIALLY the opening scene) developing other characters that really weren't necessary... Also, the basement scene was long.

On the whole, great effort, but it wasn't Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction... although plenty of knife work and scalping. I'll never look at baseball bats the same way either... "Teddy F---ing Ballgame!"
    Originally posted by solovsfett
    To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

Comment

Originally posted by FueledByRamen View Post
      they spent so much time (ESPECIALLY the opening scene) developing other characters that really weren't necessary
      The opening scene was nearly entirely about developing Landa (and setting up Shosanna to a lesser extent), the main villain of the movie. How is that not necessary?

Comment

Aargh! So many other scenes you could have picked that I probably wouldn't agree with, but I'd at least accept.

Why that one? WHYYYYYYYYYYY?!
        Last edited by The Paragon of Virtue; 08-23-2009, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FueledByRamen View Post
          So true. Good movie, but they spent so much time (ESPECIALLY the opening scene) developing other characters that really weren't necessary... Also, the basement scene was long.
          I loved that scene, extremely tense. You can't rush the scene or you lose the tension. And yeah, what TPoV said about the opening scene.

I was surprised at how tense the movie was. Definitely was marketed different than the actual product on the screen, which was good. It's better than trailers basically giving you a condensed version of the film (I'm looking at you Funny People) though, dang do I hate that.
          Old Monster Records

Comment

Saw In Bruges this weekend. I'm not sure I didn't like it, but I didn't love it. There were definitely parts I enjoyed, but it seemed like a long set up. I was, however, impressed with the acting.

Comment

Inception Teaser Trailer.
              Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
                Reminds me of Dark City for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                  Saw In Bruges this weekend. I'm not sure I didn't like it, but I didn't love it. There were definitely parts I enjoyed, but it seemed like a long set up. I was, however, impressed with the acting.
                  That's one of those movies I tend to like because I appreciate it more when I watch it again over time. The first time I thought it was hard to follow, and a bit too dark, like many Coen brothers' movies. After that, I started to get/like the darker humor and nuance found in many foreign flicks, so I enjoyed it more.

We watched Quills. It took some liberties with de Sade's life and writings, but it wasn't too bad overall.
                  "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                    That's one of those movies I tend to like because I appreciate it more when I watch it again over time. The first time I thought it was hard to follow, and a bit too dark, like many Coen brothers' movies. After that, I started to get/like the darker humor and nuance found in many foreign flicks, so I enjoyed it more.
                    I felt pretty much the same as 'Ewe, but I think I may watch it again. My PS2 plays DVDs very quietly for some reason, so some of the dialog was hard to pick up. It just felt like we spent the first 2/3 of the movie waiting for something to happen. It was good, I just think I need another viewing to decide if it lives up to the expectations others had set.
                    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                    -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post

We watched Quills. It took some liberties with de Sade's life and writings, but it wasn't too bad overall.
                      Hmm -- possible. I'll have to watch it again to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        When I left Kill Bill Vol. 1 I was in a state of utter amazement. When I left Grindhouse, I left in amazement, awe, and with a huge smile on my face.
                        Yeah, both of those were great (Kill Bill 2 -- not so much). The trailer for Inglorious Basterds is wicked retahded, but I'm hoping that's just the trailer.

Saw District 9 Sunday -- very good, particularly the first half hour which is very disjointed. Once you've figured things out it becomes The Office meets Enemy Mine.

South Africa's going to be making guilt-ridden metaphors for apartheid like we're going to be making guilt-ridden metaphors for Gitmo.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 08-24-2009, 02:20 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

What did people not like about the second half of Kill Bill? Obviously, its not action packed like Part 1, but I thought that it really fleshed things out and was overall much more suspenseful.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            What did people not like about the second half of Kill Bill? Obviously, its not action packed like Part 1, but I thought that it really fleshed things out and was overall much more suspenseful.
                            I liked it, but it just felt like less than volume 1. It was pretty much nonstop awesome from beginning to end. While volume 2 spent a lot of time just moseying around and sort of lost it's focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                              I liked it, but it just felt like less than volume 1. It was pretty much nonstop awesome from beginning to end. While volume 2 spent a lot of time just moseying around and sort of lost it's focus.
                              Agree.

Both volumes were all kinds of awesome, but the first volume really punched you in the face with the story, the presentation, and the action, while the second just kind of tidied things up, and didn't have the background of some of the characters like the first.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Agree.

Both volumes were all kinds of awesome, but the first volume really punched you in the face with the story, the presentation, and the action, while the second just kind of tidied things up, and didn't have the background of some of the characters like the first.
                                KB2 looked a little like scenes left on the cutting room floor when KB1 ran 2 hours over. Good stuff to be sure, but not vital.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X