Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new/rented movies: DEVASTATOR!!!!!

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
    Avatar's trailer is out, reminds me of that one 3d cgi film that was out somewhat recently with the humans trying wipe out some alien species to take their planet. The effects look incredible though.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/av...aserlarge.html
    If by incredible you mean it looks like a computer game, then yeah, I guess so.

All the hype surrounding it for a year or so before this trailer came out (it'll revolutionize how we watch movies!) really makes it a let down. Everything looks fake because...well...everything is.
    Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
      If by incredible you mean it looks like a computer game, then yeah, I guess so.

All the hype surrounding it for a year or so before this trailer came out (it'll revolutionize how we watch movies!) really makes it a let down. Everything looks fake because...well...everything is.
      So which movie would you consider to have good effects?

And it looks like there's an intent to have each 'side' have a different color style to it. Blue people are bright colors while normal humans are more drab less saturated colors.

Comment

So which movie would you consider to have good effects?

And it looks like there's an intent to have each 'side' have a different color style to it. Blue people are bright colors while normal humans are more drab less saturated colors.
        Avatar will get stuck in what all movies/video games get mired in when they attempt to create the "most realist effects ever"....the uncanny valley.

Are the effects great? Yes they are. Are they obviously computer generated? Well, I'm not blind, so duh. Does something seem a little off with how the humans look? Darn tootin! Will it revolutionize the way we watch movies? No, unless everyone's going to take 10 years to make a movie now.
        Old Monster Records

Comment

Are the effects great? Yes they are.
          So then your real issue is that it's overhyped? :nod nod:

Comment

So then your real issue is that it's overhyped? :nod nod:
            It'd still look like fake humans fighting fake aliens on a fake world. It's just somewhat better looking fake aliens in a somewhat better looking fake world fighting very creepily fake humans.
            Old Monster Records

Comment

I can't say that trailer made me want to see Avatar at all. All I got was blue things vs. people in robot suits with pretty effects.

Comment

And Juno was overrated
                Incorrect. So far everything Diablo Cody has written has been outstanding. Candy Girl, Juno, United States of Tara. If this isn't, I'll be surprised.

Now, if the acting sucks, well, not much a screenwriter can do about that.
                BigPieps: Nathan > few million others
                BigPieps: Once again, Nathan speaks the truth.
                GreatLakerMohawk: Bill Smith is a ******.
                GreatLakerMohawk: Why do you question Nathan? He knows what's up. F-cking listen already.
                GreatLakerMohawk: Nathan appears to be the only smart one here. Again.

Join us for Wild Discussion at Hockey Wilderness.

Comment

And what is Avatar?
                  BigPieps: Nathan > few million others
                  BigPieps: Once again, Nathan speaks the truth.
                  GreatLakerMohawk: Bill Smith is a ******.
                  GreatLakerMohawk: Why do you question Nathan? He knows what's up. F-cking listen already.
                  GreatLakerMohawk: Nathan appears to be the only smart one here. Again.

Join us for Wild Discussion at Hockey Wilderness.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
                    And what is Avatar?
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(2009_film)

And Rimbaud why do you bother looking at it if it's just going to boil down to that for you? Forgetting that all fiction movies boil down to fake stories being portrayed by actors, in fake settings.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(2009_film)

And Rimbaud why do you bother looking at it if it's just going to boil down to that for you? Forgetting that all fiction movies boil down to fake stories being portrayed by actors, in fake settings.
                      Of course the stories and settings are fake, but at least the actors look real because they are real.

I'd rather have a fully animated movie where they're not trying to look super realistic telling a story like Avatar than something that's suppose to be real live people interacting with the aliens when even the people look extremely fake. My biggest problem aren't the Avatars (of course they're going to look odd), it's the humans that have the glossy computer sheen to them that really makes it look bizarre.
                      Old Monster Records

Comment

Of course the stories and settings are fake, but at least the actors look real because they are real.

I'd rather have a fully animated movie where they're not trying to look super realistic telling a story like Avatar than something that's suppose to be real live people interacting with the aliens when even the people look extremely fake. My biggest problem aren't the Avatars (of course they're going to look odd), it's the humans that have the glossy computer sheen to them that really makes it look bizarre.
                        Um, those ARE real people.

So that would mean it's a stylistic choice like the way Skycaptain was done. Such as the general palette of colors for the locations where the two races reside.
                        Last edited by Foxton; 08-20-2009, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Can't you guys argue about this over at Aint It Cool News or something...I mean I havent even heard of this movie and I am already sick of hearing about it
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Can't you guys argue about this over at Aint It Cool News or something...I mean I havent even heard of this movie and I am already sick of hearing about it
                            You'd like to complain more about Megan Fox?

Dear god you use a lot of smilies.

Comment

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
                              You'd like to complain more about Megan Fox?

Dear god you use a lot of smilies.
                              No I would like to hear more about movies people saw that are actually out, or they rented! And yes I do, because it is the only way for people to know I don't take any of this too seriously
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Watched The Watchmen for the first time today. What do comic book afficianados think about that movie? I can't tell if it was what it was supposed to be or if it missed the mark. I thought they did a great job of character development (even if it made for a long movie), the effects were decent enough and I really liked that they dug into the, "flawed super hero" angle and being "banned" from socieity as much as they did. Of course The Incredibles already did that.

just kidding, I know Watchmen goes further back

Comment

Working...
                                X