Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new/rented movies: DEVASTATOR!!!!!

The Savages:

While I thought there might be a *touch* more comedy in this movie (there wasn't; I mean, there was some comedy, lighthearted and dark, but it was a minor part of the movie), I wasn't disappointed at all. Very good story, didn't overdo any of the drama one bit, IMO. I thought it was rather poignant, and it touched on lots of different emotions. Laura Linney was excellent, and a good counterpart to the rather subdued Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

It struck a chord with me, having seen my parents go through similar things with my paternal grandma, and it will strike a chord with people who have had to deal with elderly care, etc.

Very solid movie, definitely recommend watching it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I was skeptical that Boondock Saints II would ever get made, and once it did, I was pretty sure it would suck.

But I finally saw in the theatre tonight and it was freaking awesome. It was a lot funnier than most comedies. Definitely a worthy sequel.
      Originally posted by dicaslover
      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
        I was skeptical that Boondock Saints II would ever get made, and once it did, I was pretty sure it would suck.

But I finally saw in the theatre tonight and it was freaking awesome. It was a lot funnier than most comedies. Definitely a worthy sequel.
        If there were a more opposite type of movies being reviewed in the last two posts....I'd like to see them.

But good to hear about Boondock II. I do want to see that one.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          Saw Bottle Shock over the weekend. Pretty enjoyable overall.
          Caught this on Showtime. I really enjoyed this movie. Of course it doesn't hurt taking a variety of wine courses at UCI to appreciate the CA vs France wine 'faceoff'.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            B-13: tongue-in-cheek French action movie with a lot of martial arts / parkour. Great characters (a particularly wonderful bad guy). Solid A.
            This movie was all about the action with a little it of humor. The free running stunts were particularly entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

But good to hear about Boondock II. I do want to see that one.
              It won't win an Oscar, and it's pretty much getting panned by critics(much like the first one), but if you liked the first one, the second one is nearly as good. It's a fun movie if you don't overthink and analyze it too much.
              Originally posted by dicaslover
              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post

Those were my thoughts exactly, though I started changing my tone to hopeful it would be good once I saw the trailer. But absolutely loved it.
                National Champions 2014!
                Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017!
                Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2013, 2014!!!
                Let's Go U!!!

Comment

• Has anyone heard of The Road? I hadn't but t's been out since October 16th, and it's an extremely limited release. It's another adaptation of a Cormac McCarthy novel and stars Viggo Mortenson, Robert Duvall, Charlize Theron and Guy Pearce.

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AUw6bje19KM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AUw6bje19KM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Has anyone heard of The Road? I hadn't but t's been out since October 16th, and it's an extremely limited release. It's another adaptation of a Cormac McCarthy novel and stars Viggo Mortenson, Robert Duvall, Charlize Theron and Guy Pearce.
                    My wife is hot for it, I'm probably going to be dragged, assuming it ever comes to Bumpus, Maryland.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I saw The Blindside over the holiday weekend. I thought it was very entertaining, and I am not a big Sandra Bullock fan.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Has anyone heard of The Road? I hadn't but t's been out since October 16th, and it's an extremely limited release. It's another adaptation of a Cormac McCarthy novel and stars Viggo Mortenson, Robert Duvall, Charlize Theron and Guy Pearce.
                        I've saw some pretty lukewarm reviews of it recently, maybe in the Times and/or Wall Street Journal. I don't know anyone who's seen it yet, but I'm generally a Viggo fan so I may give it a shot.
                        "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

History Of Violence:

Got done watching it about a half hour ago, and I'm still unsure what to think of it. The story was okay (although pretty predictable), the acting was good, but I dunno...something was either missing, or just didn't quite work. That's the trouble I'm having with it.

I am becoming a big fan of Maria Bello (well, ok, I was a fan of her hotness since I unfortunately watched Coyote Ugly, the first movie I saw her in). She takes some good roles, and does very well in them.

Anyway, maybe the movie was just kinda bland, given the subject matter. Again, I just can't figure out why I'm so "meh" about it. If I had never seen it, I don't think I'd miss it, but I'm glad I saw it, if that makes any sense.

I'd say if you are really itching for a movie, or are a big fan of any of the actors, then watch it. But you're not really missing a whole lot.

Comment

Hancock:

I liked it. I've always loved the anti-hero type of character, but I was disappointed in the ending. It should have ended about 10 minutes earlier (for those who've seen the movie, you know what I mean). Some good humor, decent action, pretty entertaining.

Star Trek (2009):

Loved it. Never really watched the original series, only the movies, but did recognize many of the "nods" to the original. Great casting for all the characters, too. The actors did a fabulous job of keeping the characteristics true and also keeping the characteristics natural instead of having them seemed forced. Looking forward to the sequel(s).

Comment

Watched The Apartment (1960) with Jack Lemmon. Very good movie with lots if subtle humor.

Comment

Transformers 2 sucked in all aspects.

Sad really, cause I enjoyed the original.

Comment

Working...
                                X