Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new/rented movies: DEVASTATOR!!!!!

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I think part of it was how they opened the movie with the explaination of what caused the breakout...I think it works better when you don't know. Some things don't need origins.
    Definitely. Ambiguity is good -- the unknown is scarier than any known because your imagination is better than any director. Bad for box office, particularly in an age where every movie is vetted before an audience of teenagers, but... sod the proles.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Did quite a bit of movie watching over the holiday break. The rundown:

1. Secretary - what a strange, strange movie. I enjoyed it though. Maggie Gyllenhaal is nerd hot.

2. Sex Drive - pretty much crap - run of the mill teen sex comedy. It was good for a laugh at 1:00 a.m. on Saturday morning though.

3. The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters - documentary about folks who take their Donkey Kong a little too seriously. Highly entertaining though, and had one of the best movie villains (and biggest ****** bags) in recent memory - Mr. Billy Mitchell.

4. Gran Torino: loved it.

5. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist: it was alright. Funny in spots. My wife liked it.

6. Powder Blue: I thought it had potential, but in the end it just didn't come together. Jessica Biel is nice to look at though.

Comment

Finally saw The Wrestler, on HBO. It was pretty good. I saw it as almost a thumbnail sketch of Mickey Rourke's life, and it reminded me why he's still one of my favorites. Marisa Tomei is good too, and still pretty hot.

We also watched The Black Book, a Dutch-German production focusing on Dutch resistance fighters in WW2 struggling to save Jews from the nazis. Definitely worth the time.
        "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

B-13: tongue-in-cheek French action movie with a lot of martial arts / parkour. Great characters (a particularly wonderful bad guy). Solid A.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I watched Brazil yesterday....ummm...yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
              I watched Brazil yesterday....ummm...yeah.
              Loved it when I saw it in the theater and I haven't seen it since. Would be it interesting to see what I think of it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Loved it when I saw it in the theater and I haven't seen it since. Would be it interesting to see what I think of it now.
                I know there is a directors cut (which I saw) and another cut. I heard the other cut is what is shown on tv. I dont know which one made it to theaters. If you watch it again soon Id be curious to see if you see any differences that you can remember.

That said I did like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                  I know there is a directors cut (which I saw) and another cut. I heard the other cut is what is shown on tv. I dont know which one made it to theaters. If you watch it again soon Id be curious to see if you see any differences that you can remember.

That said I did like it.
                  The Director's cut is much darker. Gilliam said he hated the way they made him lighten up the end of the film to make it more acceptable for audiences and had it out with Universal Studios over it. Essentially, the studio cut of the film is the happy, sappy version that perverts the entire idea that Gilliam was aiming for with his version because they wanted it to be more marketable.
                  R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                    The Director's cut is much darker. Gilliam said he hated the way they made him lighten up the end of the film to make it more acceptable for audiences and had it out with Universal Studios over it. Essentially, the studio cut of the film is the happy, sappy version that perverts the entire idea that Gilliam was aiming for with his version because they wanted it to be more marketable.
                    Which is bizarre take because iirc it was more of a cult/non-mainstream hit at the time it was in theaters anyway and I don't recall it getting "marketable fanfare" as far as advertising and buzz goes, but my memory could be fuzzy.

Comment

The scrambling for a "dumb, happy" ending is great -- it's as if the movie left the realm of fiction and became actual fact. Even better, it wasn't some police state that did it, but just good old grubby profit motive. The banality of evil.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                        I enjoyed it too.
                        I thought it was great. Couldn't have found a bette actor to play Oher.

I was a little uneasy when I heard Bullock was starring in it but she did a pretty good job and made me laugh quite a few times as well as sympathize with her character.

It gathered $40 million this past weekend losing out to only New Moon. Not too shabby for a sports movie going up against a giant like New Moon.

Blind Side is easily going to be the all-time leader in gross for a sports movie. If it couldnt be Miracle, I guess I'm okay with Blind Side taking it
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                          Blind Side is easily going to be the all-time leader in gross for a sports movie. If it couldnt be Miracle, I guess I'm okay with Blind Side taking it
                          Is it a sports movie, or a chick flick masquerading as a sports movie (Jerry McGuire)? I'll probably see it either way, but inquiring minds want to know.

Saw Bottle Shock over the weekend. Pretty enjoyable overall.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            Is it a sports movie, or a chick flick masquerading as a sports movie (Jerry McGuire)? I'll probably see it either way, but inquiring minds want to know.

Saw Bottle Shock over the weekend. Pretty enjoyable overall.
                            Hmm...I'd put it as Green Mile meets Radio

It's definitely not a TON of football but I really don't see where I can make it a chick flick either.

It's good nonetheless. At no point did I say wow...how did they trick us into seeing a walk to remember/the notebook with a "sporty" trailer.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Is it a sports movie, or a chick flick masquerading as a sports movie (Jerry McGuire)?
                              It looks heartwarming, and that's a very bad sign.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                It looks heartwarming, and that's a very bad sign.
                                Plus Lou Holtz is clearly eye candy for the ladies.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X