Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new/rented movies: DEVASTATOR!!!!!

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
    I currently have Elephant (Gus Van Sant's look at Columbine), may watch on Saturday afternoon.

Queue:

Hard Candy
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    The Kingdom
    American History X
    Cape Fear
    Cape Fear (remake)
    Into the Wild
    Velvet Goldmine
    About Adam (already saw it though)
    Vanity Fair
    Eastern Promises
    Fear
    My Own Private Idaho
    Enchanted
    Happy Endings
    Wristcutters: A Love Story

You've never seen American History X?????

Prepare to look at yourself in a different way, and probably feel really bad about yourself/guilty at times. The dinner scene is a key time. I felt sick to my stomach, because one of the views expressed actually made sense, even though it was mostly wrong.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Elephant is terrible. The rest of that list is quite solid.
      Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        You've never seen American History X?????

Prepare to look at yourself in a different way, and probably feel really bad about yourself/guilty at times. The dinner scene is a key time. I felt sick to my stomach, because one of the views expressed actually made sense, even though it was mostly wrong.
        Yes, the half Jewish girl is going to feel bad about some rant by the white supremacist.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Yes, the half Jewish girl is going to feel bad about some rant by the white supremacist.
          I'm only talking the dinner scene. Scarily, he makes SOME points, but his views obviously skew it to the extreme and make it bad. It's those basic points that make sense (whited out to not spoil it; ewe, make note of this and don't quote/highlight):

Where he's saying that if Rodney King had wiped out a couple of kids while high/etc, the same people crying "racist cops" would be villifying King. But since King didn't do that, they are excusing his state of mentality/coherence because some cops used excessive force (arguably, according to the verdicts, right or wrong)
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Where he's saying that if Rodney King had wiped out a couple of kids while high/etc, the same people crying "racist cops" would be villifying King. But since King didn't do that, they are excusing his state of mentality/coherence because some cops used excessive force (arguably, according to the verdicts, right or wrong)
            Also how he calls out their looting as plain old looting and doesn't buy any of the crap excuses.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Frenchie:

True. Forgot about that line. I should watch that again. I don't buy many movies, and that was one of the first I bought, due to the many discussions it brings up.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Not that anyone cares but part of my Neflix queue:

Tell No One Foreign
                Glengarry Glen Ross Drama
                The Girlfriend Experience Independent
                Raiders of the Lost Ark Action & Adventure
                The Strangers Thrillers
                Superman II Action & Adventure
                Il Divo Foreign
                Rear Window Classics
                Yellow Drama
                One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Classics
                Portishead: Music & Musicals
                Close Encounters of the Third Kind Sci-Fi & Fantasy
                Stalag 17 Classics
                Midnight Express Drama
                The Red Violin Drama
                Some good choices in there...The Red Violin was surprisingly good I had to watch that in a class at school
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Tropic Thunder:

After an hour, I shut it off. Many of you know my tastes in movies, and even know of some of the movies that don't exactly fit my viewing profile. That says something.

Um, I guess Robert Downey Jr was decent, given what he had to work with......yeah, that's all I got.
                  Usually I only expect to read things that ridiculously stupid from Handyman.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Oh my lord we agree on something! That movie was painfully stupid! And not the good stupid, the "why did I waste time on watching this piece of crap" stupid! (minus Tom Cruise)
                  Well speak of the devil.
                  St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                    Usually I only expect to read things that ridiculously stupid from Handyman.

Well speak of the devil.
                    TT was horrible. The concept was good, but the execution was not. It wasn't even close.

Comment

TT was horrible. The concept was good, but the execution was not. It wasn't even close.
                      He must have lost his Britney Spears album...he is cranky
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Wanna watch a *ing incredible movie? Watch "Doubt."

Meryl Streep's performance commands your attention in every way. There'll be a shot of her just sitting there, and you're waiting for her to do something. And then she might do nothing, and you're still impressed. That's how good she was in this movie.

And of course, PSH is awesome, but that's obvious. And he still wasn't as good as Streep in this movie. I don't even know if it was that close.

I remember a buddy telling me, after watching "Falling Down," comparing it to a box of cereal, that Michael Douglas was the name on the cereal box, but Robert Duvall was the cereal in the box, the substance you want. Well, I see PSH's name on the box, but the contents were all Streep.

The story is great, the seeds they plant in the audience about the story are better. The settings were somehow cold yet inviting, which added to the different views a person might have of the situation at hand. And, if you've ever attended Catholic/private school, it will have an additional effect on you, even though standards/times have changed since the setting of this movie (1964 was the setting).

Simply awesome movie. This has definite repeat viewing capability, due to the questions left unanswered.

Comment

Wanna watch a *ing incredible movie? Watch "Doubt."

Meryl Streep's performance commands your attention in every way. There'll be a shot of her just sitting there, and you're waiting for her to do something. And then she might do nothing, and you're still impressed. That's how good she was in this movie.

And of course, PSH is awesome, but that's obvious. And he still wasn't as good as Streep in this movie. I don't even know if it was that close.

I remember a buddy telling me, after watching "Falling Down," comparing it to a box of cereal, that Michael Douglas was the name on the cereal box, but Robert Duvall was the cereal in the box, the substance you want. Well, I see PSH's name on the box, but the contents were all Streep.

The story is great, the seeds they plant in the audience about the story are better. The settings were somehow cold yet inviting, which added to the different views a person might have of the situation at hand. And, if you've ever attended Catholic/private school, it will have an additional effect on you, even though standards/times have changed since the setting of this movie (1964 was the setting).

Simply awesome movie. This has definite repeat viewing capability, due to the questions left unanswered.
                          It was an excellent movie. I agree with you for the most part except for the repeat viewing. People will have to watch and make up their own mind on that one, I'd give it away if I said why.

Streep is the film. No Doubt about that.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            It was an excellent movie. I agree with you for the most part except for the repeat viewing. People will have to watch and make up their own mind on that one, I'd give it away if I said why.

Streep is the film. No Doubt about that.

I was thinking repeat viewing to catch nuances that might change a viewer's mind, or strengthen their opinion of the situation at hand. Obviously I've only seen it once, but movies like this (where nuances may clue you in on things) almost require one to see it at least twice.

Comment

I've been watching Frost/Nixon over the past week and really enjoying it. Frank Langella as Richard Nixon is obviously the key attraction, and he certainly commands all attention when he's on screen. Michael Sheen does well with the somehow less flashy role of David Frost. Favorite scene was probably the phone call Nixon made to Frost the night before the final interview. Langella runs the full gamut of emotions in that one.

But then there's the comparison of how the two view the interviews, which makes the build to that finale more interesting. Nixon sees it as a battle that he needs to win to rehabilitate his image, against an inferior opponent. Frost has other issues to worry about and isn't viewing the interviews on the same level as Nixon, or even his researchers; he doesn't realize the actual stakes.

Good supporting performances from Oliver Platt, Kevin Bacon, and Sam Rockwell, though the last one goes without saying.

Comment

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
                                I've been watching Frost/Nixon over the past week and really enjoying it.
                                It was great -- extremely well-acted. But my favorite part is how Diane Sawyer is such a weasel-eyed little rat-fink.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X