Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new/rented movies: DEVASTATOR!!!!!

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I just flat out liked the movie. Like 90% of all other movies, you have to know what you're walking into before you see it. Once the expectations are set, then judge the movie based upon that. They did a good job at parodying and referencing other movies, but the Hollywood business as a whole. I especially liked the discussion about going "full ******."
    Yeah I mean it wasn't Shakespeare but it did what it did and made fun of what it wanted to and was good for laughs, so I liked it. I didn't like the Tom Cruise part beyond the first 5 seconds or though, are we supposed to think "Oh wow he's playing an ugly annoying guy, that really shows talent and range!"? Some no talent dancing in a fat suit is still a no talent dancing in a fat suit.

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone seen the 1970 film Waterloo? I just saw clips of the battle scenes on YouTube the other day and am wondering why I've never heard of this movie before.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I can understand Handyman complaining about a movie, its what he does...but someone with such low standards like Brenthoven hating Tropic Thunder...now that's baffling.

Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
        I can understand Handyman complaining about a movie, its what he does...but someone with such low standards like Brenthoven hating Tropic Thunder...now that's baffling.

Yawn...hypocrit...YAWN!
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Yawn...hypocrit...YAWN!
          Dude, you even complain about the movies you don't see. I didn't say it was about refs. You're the TBA of movies. Except I only complain about things I can see or hear.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            I'm completely on your side on TT sucking.

But I don't see how its like the [Genre] Movie franchise, though. Like you said, TT had satire in it. It was heavy handed, poorly executed satire, but there was something there. At minimum, you could say that it was a good idea that just went completely wrong.

The [Genre] Movie franchise just takes scenes from other movies, adds some combination of hip-hop and scat humor, then packages that as a "parody" movie. There isn't even a slightest attempt at making actual jokes. All references. No jokes. Like a bad episode of Family Guy.

To me, its almost like comparing why Creed sucks to why Motley Crue sucks. At least Creed was trying to do something worthwhile.
            I guess I saw TT as more of a collection of jokes from every other movie that was a parody/satire, so instead of scene references, it was just recycled jokes. I guess I didn't explain it correctly.

Low standards. Pfft, that's a good one. The crappy movies I like are usually because they are crappy. I recognize them for what they are. I didn't expect a whole lot besides pure action in "Crank," but it's a great movie if you want to kill a couple hours on a lazy Saturday afternoon.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Dude, you even complain about the movies you don't see. I didn't say it was about refs. You're the TBA of movies. Except I only complain about things I can see or hear.
              Right, so that wasnt you whining about SGU in the TV thread...who are you kidding. You whine about everything, you just do it more about refs than any one fanbase could ever hope to so that dominates everything else

Like I said...YAWN!

Just so I am clear though...it is ok to say you think a preview makes a movie look good but not ok to say it makes it look bad? Is this like how it is not ok to complain about the Office or SNL according to some? Apparently I wasnt told the rules of decorum for the Cafe in 2009.

Let me rectify the transgression for all of you who were forced at gunpoint to read posts...feel free to copy and paste/edit this wherever you feel the need:

[Insert name here] looks to be the best [person/tv show/movie/band/higher power] of all time! I swear the more I see [insert name here] the more I [laugh/cry/get angry/fall in love/hurl]! I cannot wait to watch/listen to [insert name here] as it is obviously going to be the new gold standard in [films/TV shows/theater/books/reffing/Freddy Meyer is a hack]

Thank you and have a nice day
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

SGU is very mediocre, I'm not allowed to point that out?

Comment

SGU is very mediocre, I'm not allowed to point that out?
                  I like it personally but it is irrelevant to this thread except that I was pointing out you do more than whine about the refs

Is there any movie coming out soon that looks worth dropping 10 bucks on? I am asking seriously because I cant think of one right now but I havent been paying much attention.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I like it personally but it is irrelevant to this thread except that I was pointing out you do more than whine about the refs

Is there any movie coming out soon that looks worth dropping 10 bucks on? I am asking seriously because I cant think of one right now but I havent been paying much attention.
                    Pirate Radio with Phillip Seymour Hoffman has potential.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      I just flat out liked the movie. Like 90% of all other movies, you have to know what you're walking into before you see it. Once the expectations are set, then judge the movie based upon that. They did a good job at parodying and referencing other movies, but the Hollywood business as a whole. I especially liked the discussion about going "full ******."
                      I loved Tropic Thunder...one of my favorite movies of the past few years.

Saw Where the Wild Things Are...really liked it..definitely didn't enjoy all the crying children and parents who made them sit through it.

Also saw Men Who Stare at Goats....was decent...some very funny scenes...thought it was a great role for Ewan McGregor
                      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

******* width="560" height="340">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7iggyFPls4w&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7iggyFPls4w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">
                        Old Monster Records

Comment

Rimmy: I do want to see that.

A couple buddies went, and one (non-Jewish) thought it was okay, while the other (Jewish) absolutely loved it, for what it's worth. Obviously there's something in the "translation" of the jokes/humor, so to speak.

Comment

Also:
                            ******* width="560" height="340">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_m-Da8Tz4_E&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_m-Da8Tz4_E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">

******* width="560" height="340">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4aNZGniOG4&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4aNZGniOG4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-lcFrjUqCo&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-lcFrjUqCo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6D1bstd1jSE&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6D1bstd1jSE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

******* width="560" height="340">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fm4BdkOXfxk&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fm4BdkOXfxk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">
                            Old Monster Records

Comment

It's not saying much but GI Joe was better than Transformers 2. Still pretty god-awful though.

I liked Tropic Thunder. It delivered very well.

I'm getting to Dial M for Murder in the very near future (it arrived from the Netflix yesterday).

I watched Food, Inc last night. Good documentary...nothing too surprising in it though or something one couldn't have already figured out if they cared enough to find out where their food was coming from. Well made though and a good watch.
                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo Swoon is in season.
                              Originally posted by Husky Fan Roy If this turns out to be correct: Big Pieps > Kevin Allenspach

Comment

I can't reach that link at work, but is that an actual, non-parody Bad Lieutenant sequel? Somewhere, Crow T. Robot is happy tonight.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X