Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new/rented movies: DEVASTATOR!!!!!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    And Grace Kelly is in it. That's enough right there.
    I did mention her.

Grace Kelly is TCM's Star of the Month.

Comment

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
      I did mention her.

Grace Kelly is TCM's Star of the Month.
      This is a great film obviously. Also all her Hitch films are awesome, she was the prototype Hitchcock blonde.

She did three Hitchcock films right in a row.

1. Dial "M" for Murder. My personal fave of her Hitch films.
      2. Rear Window. A classic, and many folks fave Hitch film.
      3. To Catch a Thief. Sparks fly between her and Cary Grant.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        This is a great film obviously. Also all her Hitch films are awesome, she was the prototype Hitchcock blonde.

She did three Hitchcock films right in a row.

1. Dial "M" for Murder. My personal fave of her Hitch films.
        2. Rear Window. A classic, and many folks fave Hitch film.
        3. To Catch a Thief. Sparks fly between her and Cary Grant.
        I'm going to try and catch all of these over the course of the month. I think I'm predisposed to enjoy Rear Window the least since I am not a fan of James Stewart, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Comment

Punk's Not Dead: It's okay. I mean, the subject has been beat to death, but there were some good interviews/comment in it.

Saw it on the Fuse network, so obviously edited, but they did the "play the words backwards" thing for the cusswords, so it wasn't bad.

Obviously, I already knew a LOT about the subject, but still found it somewhat interesting. For those looking for a "beginner" movie on the different bands and such, it's worth a look.

And for any folks who want to know a lot more, I recommend "The Filth And The Fury" (Sex Pistols doc, but really gives a good in-depth look at how punk started in the UK with the social classes and such) and "End Of The Century" (Ramones doc). Both films do not pull punches (mostly in the Ramones one, as Johnny/Joey Ramones' differences were much-publicized), and both really go in depth with not only the bands but the reasons why they started/why punk was originated from.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm going to try and catch all of these over the course of the month. I think I'm predisposed to enjoy Rear Window the least since I am not a fan of James Stewart, but maybe I'll be surprised.
            I like Rear Window, but I predict it will be a tough watch if you don't like Jimmy Stewart. (Vertigo would be impossible, so it's a good thing I don't mind his act, because that's a beautiful movie.)
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I like Rear Window, but I predict it will be a tough watch if you don't like Jimmy Stewart. (Vertigo would be impossible, so it's a good thing I don't mind his act, because that's a beautiful movie.)
              No, I really liked Vertigo. I may not be a fan of his, but not to the point where I can't enjoy the movies he's in.

Comment

No, I really liked Vertigo. I may not be a fan of his, but not to the point where I can't enjoy the movies he's in.
                If you loved Vertigo you'll at least like Rear Window, may even love it as well.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Tropic Thunder:

After an hour, I shut it off. Many of you know my tastes in movies, and even know of some of the movies that don't exactly fit my viewing profile. That says something.

Um, I guess Robert Downey Jr was decent, given what he had to work with......yeah, that's all I got.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Tropic Thunder:

After an hour, I shut it off. Many of you know my tastes in movies, and even know of some of the movies that don't exactly fit my viewing profile. That says something.

Um, I guess Robert Downey Jr was decent, given what he had to work with......yeah, that's all I got.
                    Oh my lord we agree on something! That movie was painfully stupid! And not the good stupid, the "why did I waste time on watching this piece of crap" stupid! (minus Tom Cruise)
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Oh my lord we agree on something! That movie was painfully stupid! And not the good stupid, the "why did I waste time on watching this piece of crap" stupid! (minus Tom Cruise)
                      I literally sat throught the first hour (before the aforementioned shutting off) and either had more of a stoneface than Mt Rushmore or kept saying, "I see what they tried to do there" and yawned.

Yes, I get the satire bit. But it just seemed like a bigger money, bigger star version of the (insert title) Movie franchise. I didn't hear many bad things about it, and even though Ben Stiller was one of the major stars (whom I cannot stand for anything more than a few seconds; Dodgeball excluded) I wanted to appreciate/like this movie.

Well, I'd rather take a Gatorade bottlecap and shove it under my foreskin than watch this movie again. I really want my time that I wasted back sevenfold.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I like that in a stupid movie that wasn't all that great, you liked the dumbest of the dumbest schtick in it!
                        Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
                          I like that in a stupid movie that wasn't all that great, you liked the dumbest of the dumbest schtick in it!
                          Well it probably had to do with the fact that the rest of the movie was so dull and unfunny that watching TC as a bald, Jewish looking dude dancing to rap music was considered comedy gold
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Yes, I get the satire bit. But it just seemed like a bigger money, bigger star version of the (insert title) Movie franchise.
                            I'm completely on your side on TT sucking.

But I don't see how its like the [Genre] Movie franchise, though. Like you said, TT had satire in it. It was heavy handed, poorly executed satire, but there was something there. At minimum, you could say that it was a good idea that just went completely wrong.

The [Genre] Movie franchise just takes scenes from other movies, adds some combination of hip-hop and scat humor, then packages that as a "parody" movie. There isn't even a slightest attempt at making actual jokes. All references. No jokes. Like a bad episode of Family Guy.

To me, its almost like comparing why Creed sucks to why Motley Crue sucks. At least Creed was trying to do something worthwhile.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I kind of liked TT...
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I kind of liked TT...
                                I just flat out liked the movie. Like 90% of all other movies, you have to know what you're walking into before you see it. Once the expectations are set, then judge the movie based upon that. They did a good job at parodying and referencing other movies, but the Hollywood business as a whole. I especially liked the discussion about going "full ******."
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X